House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

uptherebels

Audio Books

I thought I'd try one. I like listening to drama on the radio, so I bought The Road by Cormac McCarthy on CD. Transferred it to my MP3 player, and tried to listen to it while out walking. It was fine, and I was enjoying it for a while, when it suddenly dawned on me that I had no idea what had been said for the last ten minutes or so. I assume that this is down to the fact that if you are reading a book, then that's pretty much all you are doing. When listening to it, I was doing other things, ie walking, crossing busy roads etc etc. If listening to music while walking, it doesn't really matter if you drift in and out of it, but with a story, you need to be taking it all in.

If any of you lot use them, when do you listen to them? Lying on the bed with your eyes shut? I tried that one, and promptly fell asleep! Maybe it's a bad book, but I don't think so. I've given up now, and bought the book to read as normal.

Similar experience. You need to concentrate on them to enjoy them and that is incompatible with a lot of situations where you can happily listen to music.

I borrowed a couple for motorway driving and found that either I wasn't following them or I was following them and was getting so absorbed that I wasn't paying attention to the road.

I know people enjoy them if they walk somewhere flat and dull like a park where they don't need to pay attention to where they're walking.

I've downloaded tons of em but lost track too after a couple of minutes.

I reckon only old people stuck in their chairs and can't be arsed to hold a book, will listen to em.

OK, lots of generalisations there but you get the picture.

I'm pretty into audiobooks but agree that they sometimes require a certain amount of attention.. though it depends on the sort of book.

Biographies are great for car journeys, particularly autobiographies, as it's like having the person next to you in the passenger seat. History, and fiction are better when you've time to sit back, close your eyes, and visualise the scene being described; maybe a lazy sunday afternoon in the garden or on a train/plane journey.

Walking, as the poster above observed, sometimes can be distracting and not always best for listen to books, though if you're into the self-help, or business / marketing/ new thinking stuff.. i.e. books about thought, or how we related the the world, these can be great on a walk, as one can take the ideas and see them manifesting around you..

When you're enjoying the drama on the radio, what are you doing? Can you manage to listen to a book in the same environment?

I like listening to stuff when I'm in the car, or pottering about in the kitchen - but I can't manage listening to a book - half an hour of radio drama is enough for me - any longer and I've lost some of the plot. I also think that's probably about as long as any particular task takes in general, (a drive out somewhere/making dinner/ making cakes- all about 30 minute activities...) and by then I'm ready for a change to what I'm listening to too.

I thought I'd try one. I like listening to drama on the radio, so I bought The Road by Cormac McCarthy on CD. Transferred it to my MP3 player, and tried to listen to it while out walking. It was fine, and I was enjoying it for a while, when it suddenly dawned on me that I had no idea what had been said for the last ten minutes or so. I assume that this is down to the fact that if you are reading a book, then that's pretty much all you are doing. When listening to it, I was doing other things, ie walking, crossing busy roads etc etc. If listening to music while walking, it doesn't really matter if you drift in and out of it, but with a story, you need to be taking it all in.

If any of you lot use them, when do you listen to them? Lying on the bed with your eyes shut? I tried that one, and promptly fell asleep! Maybe it's a bad book, but I don't think so. I've given up now, and bought the book to read as normal.

I work p/t at the library. We issue quite a lot, esp. to people going on long car journeys. Kids' audio books also very popular for the same purpose. Some people like to listen to them while doing something long and tedious at home, like decorating etc.

They're not exactly cheap to buy, so if you feel like trying again do check out your library - our rate for a 3 week adult loan is 70p. (Kids' ones are free) Plus a BOGOF at the moment (summer hol special)