House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jonnybegood

For Those Who Think The Bbc Is Vi

I would of thought this would be the headlines at 1 o'clock but even 5 reports in and no mention of it.

So if they are up or down its not always headlines or even close.

So guys don't get cut up about it, BBC is only a VI when it suits your argument.

Probably more downbeat today then anything, with talk of the recession far from over.........Unemployment to rise further etc

There it is - Report 7 and lasted all of 16 secs. Case closed

Edited by Jonnybegood

I would of thought this would be the headlines at 1 o'clock but even 5 reports in and no mention of it.

So guys don't get cut up about it, BBC is only a VI when it suits your argument.

Probably more downbeat today then anything, with talk of the recession far from over.........Unemployment to rise further etc

So by your logic, in order for a VI to be classed as such, they always have to mention House Prices, and in this case every news bulletin?

Edited by Miam I Vice?

Two things

1. Where were you yesterday? BBC was all over house prices.

2. Front page of bbc.co.uk right now is leading with this story

House prices see biggest rise for years

House prices in England and Wales recorded the biggest monthly leap since July 2004 last month, the Land Registry says.

1 o'clock news director was just off-message - he will be dealt with...

So by your logic, in order for a VI to be classes as such, they always have to mention House Prices?

Thats the belief of most on here, "BBC ramping house price rises again" is one of the most common statements.

When prices are falling you often hear "Only a quick mention of price falls on the BBC today, putting their VI spin on it"

Get over it

Yeah I see what you mean. No VI interest in the slightest.

Picture_6.png

post-1511-1251461912_thumb.png

Well they must have transferred the reports to the 1pm news on R2 because that was full of reports on HPI and even had a guy on there from Deutsche Bank saying the recessin was over.

As someone else said, I bet the HPI will be headline story at 6.

BF

Was about to post the same screen grab.

The BBC are CREAMING themselves over this. They will be partying tonight with such good news on a Friday! Bonuses all round.

Two things

1. Where were you yesterday? BBC was all over house prices.

2. Front page of bbc.co.uk right now is leading with this story

House prices see biggest rise for years

House prices in England and Wales recorded the biggest monthly leap since July 2004 last month, the Land Registry says.

1 o'clock news director was just off-message - he will be dealt with...

What part of the article on the BBC news site is 'ramping'? Or are you in denial regarding the figures?

Well we have BBC news 24 on in the foyer at work, and I seem to recall on LR day its always up there in the reporting order at 1pm (Good or Bad).

Will be interesting to see what happens at 6pm, but would of thought that 1 o'clock is quite a popular slot, i usually don't get home early enough to catch the 6pm news.

Yeah I see what you mean. No VI interest in the slightest.

Its a fact. Its data thats in the public domain.

That is what surprises me with the 1 o'clock news, its quite a big story, biggest rise since 2004.

Must admit, all the criticism of the BBC here does tend to irritate me. I work from home, and listen to the BBC all day, in particular Radio 4 and 5 Live, with a splatter of Radio 3 if I need some peaceful background music. I find them almost above reproach.

They have had masses of news items, documentaries, discussion programmes about the recession, the collapse of the banks (that arguably they helped to precipitate through Peston's reporting on Northern Rock), and the drop in HPI. Even then, they seem to attract criticism because they try to seek a range of viewpoints. I don't see their in-depth reporting of the downturn as proof that they are trying to negatively skew the news, and I don't see their report about the LR today as the opposite. It's the news, and that's what they are reporting -- good or bad.

Today they are reporting what to my mind is pretty significant news -- that the LR have HP as rising 1.7% last month, the biggest jump in 5 years for heaven's sake. WHy would they not report it? I haven't heard any "ramping" or any evidence that the BBC are "creaming themselves". Sheesh -- get some perspective.

Personally, as a houseowner I don't think this is good news as I have teenage children who will have to deal with this at some point. It's good news for a few (people who are planning to sell up and do something else with their money) but I don't see that this is good news, and I don't see that the BBC are regarding it as good news. But it is important news, and they are reporting it prominently as I would expect them to do.

Some of you guys won't be happy till all we have to listen to Talk Sport. Would you really be happier with some Berlusconi type figure running our press and media?

You need to be careful what you wish for.

I do reckon that a good case could be made for selling off Radio 1, and frankly I think BBC local radio and TV is a waste of time and money. Too bland for words. But you only have to travel a bit and talk to people about the BBC to realise how envied we are in general.

Sorry, I don't mean to start a big argument about this, but I just don't think the accusations of ramping and biased reporting to have any foundation.

Well we have BBC news 24 on in the foyer at work, and I seem to recall on LR day its always up there in the reporting order at 1pm (Good or Bad).

Will be interesting to see what happens at 6pm, but would of thought that 1 o'clock is quite a popular slot, i usually don't get home early enough to catch the 6pm news.

As Mugwump Boy posted above, where were you yesterday? The Nationwide figures were yesterday's news. <_<

Must admit, all the criticism of the BBC here does tend to irritate me. I work from home, and listen to the BBC all day, in particular Radio 4 and 5 Live, with a splatter of Radio 3 if I need some peaceful background music. I find them almost above reproach.

<snip>

Sorry, I don't mean to start a big argument about this, but I just don't think the accusations of ramping and biased reporting to have any foundation.

I can only speak for me personally, but the BBC get the 'VI' badge of honour from me, not because of the reporting of the news, but the slant in the way in which it reports:

House Prices Up = Good News

House Prices Down = Bad News

And these are LR figures - Todays news

R4 news at 1 today thought it was worth repeating the Nationwide figure today though...

Ignore the idiot tin-foil-hat brigade they are too far up their own ar$e to see daylight.

All media use big headlines to attract traffic but the beeb (like most other sources) offers a bit of analysis, which is what you should read not skim the headline and get annoyed (unless you actually like the Daily Mail and are a grumpy old bigot)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8181945.stm

Oh and who is this chap?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8224453.stm

Clearly a couple of the government's placemen trying to big up their BTL empire.

PMSL

Short memory? or selective hearing?

BBC were all over Rightmove's reporting (in July) of "asking prices" were up in June - they did not mention Rightmove's reporting of "asking prices" were down in July (in August).

HPI merchants = filthy scum

BBC were all over Rightmove's reporting (in July) of "asking prices" were up in June - they did not mention Rightmove's reporting of "asking prices" were down in July (in August).

This smells of confirmation bias to me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8139820.stm

You are seeing what you want/expect to see

This smells of confirmation bias to me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8139820.stm

You are seeing what you want/expect to see

Given that a search for Rightmove on the bbc news website doesn't find anything more recent that January, I thought I was being generous to you... :)

Ignore the idiot tin-foil-hat brigade they are too far up their own ar$e to see daylight.

All media use big headlines to attract traffic but the beeb (like most other sources) offers a bit of analysis, which is what you should read not skim the headline and get annoyed (unless you actually like the Daily Mail and are a grumpy old bigot)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8181945.stm

Oh and who is this chap?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8224453.stm

Clearly a couple of the government's placemen trying to big up their BTL empire.

PMSL

Speaking of the Daily Mail - their money front page currently has top story:

"Fresh green shoots: House prices see biggest monthly rise in five years as GDP shrinks less than expected

House prices"

Story2:

"Fresh recession fears as investment by British businesses suffers biggest slump in 44 years"

:rolleyes:

They don't seem too bothered what the news is as long as it's news!

No VI from the BBC then?????! :lol:

What I don't understand is who at the BBC is supposed to be doing the ramping? Is it the news editors acting of their own vorition (if so, why?), the board (if so, why?) or has some instruction been handed down from the govt (if so, how come there has been no sniff of a leak about this, let's face it there are plenty of other media outlets who would relish the opportunity to do some BBC bashing if this were the case?)?

We're supposed to believe that the hundreds of empolyees who take part in editorial at the BBC are colluding together without one disenting voice?

Edited by Tyler

On the six o clock news last night the BBC commentator stated that even though house prices have already fallen, the bleakest economic outlook available was that they would only fall by another 15%

Not only VI. A blatant lie.

Edited by Dan1