House Price Crash Forum

Council Parking Penalty

HOLA441

After a year of refusing to buy a parking permit finally got my come uppance today for oversleeeping and leaving the gaff at 10:00 am.

35 quid penalty charge.

Now I need my wheels, so I don't want to mess with the council in case they clamp the motor, so I'll probably pay the fine and get a permit.

But I do fancy getting some sort of revenge. Any suggestions ?

Surely there is something that I can request them to do that will cost them a vast amount of hassle money and time.

Seeing my councillor twice a week ? Requesting a vast amount of useless information on a regular basis ?

Any suggestions welcome, but please nothing illegal. I want to be able to screw them with the same system that they used to screw me.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I am having "problems" with the DVLA and their sheer incompetence coupled with a small amount of forgetfulness on my behalf has resulted in them finally managing to get some documents out in the post to me. Sadly the documents are not what I had asked for but a fine for me being an outrageous criminal and serious danger to society. I have decided to cave in and pay the fine, but I am planning on attempting to comply with the instructions for payment but with my own personal twist.

I have decided to pay the fine by sending 400 cheques for 10p each. With the registration number of the SORN vehicle on the back of each cheque. Each batch of 40 cheques will be posted registered delivery one day after the other for 10 days with a photocopy of the letter sent to me enclosed in each batch, as stated in the payment options section of the letter.

Can anyone think of any reason the DVLA can legally reject my proposed method of payment? If not may I suggest any other fed up petty minded criminals such as my bad self implement my payment method idea when dealing with fines.

I had considered writing to the DVLA and attempting to have my fine halved if I promise to vote Labour at the next general election. However given their track record of not receiving and/or managing to lose my previous correspondence, the chances of success are frankly very slim to none.

Thanks

HOLA448
HOLA449
I have decided to pay the fine by sending 400 cheques for 10p each. With the registration number of the SORN vehicle on the back of each cheque. Each batch of 40 cheques will be posted registered delivery one day after the other for 10 days with a photocopy of the letter sent to me enclosed in each batch, as stated in the payment options section of the letter.

Make sure to put a staple in the middle of each cheque.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest absolutezero
Personal data request under the provisions of the DPA...

I once did this and it cost me a tenner.

Worth every single penny because it took them ages to gather everything together and the solicitor (they got the Head of Legal Services to meet me to hand over the wad of paper) "told me off" and said it had taken days for a highly paid member of staff to trawl the achives.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
I once did this and it cost me a tenner.

Worth every single penny because it took them ages to gather everything together and the solicitor (they got the Head of Legal Services to meet me to hand over the wad of paper) "told me off" and said it had taken days for a highly paid member of staff to trawl the achives.

I don't know causing trouble for your PS colleagues, perhaps you are non-conformist after all.

HOLA4415
What's that for us meek folk?

It's a request for personal information held about you that you are entitled to make to any organisation who holds any information relating to you under a provision of the Date Protection Acts. It's official name is a "Subject Access Request", I think. The maximum they can charge you is a tenner and there is a time frame in which they have to provide the information or tell you they are looking for it. It isn't carte-blance for you to hassle them for information simply to p1ss them off and they are entitled to refuse you if they think that is the case. You also have certain rights in respect of what they are doing with your information - ie; you can tell them to stop processing it in a certain way under certain conditions or instruct them to correct or delete it.

There is a similar provision entitling you to request to view tapes of any CCTV camera you believe may have filmed you.

HOLA4416
After a year of refusing to buy a parking permit finally got my come uppance today for oversleeeping and leaving the gaff at 10:00 am.

Any suggestions welcome, but please nothing illegal. I want to be able to screw them with the same system that they used to screw me.

At the annual audit, any voter is entitled to examine the books, receipts etc. You may also ask questions of the auditor. There is a notice in the paper for this. I went through the travel expenses claims for certain councillors... one of whom resigned very soon afterwards. Admittiedly I had a had a tip=off that certain claims were inflated....Never accuse anybody, just ask innocent questions. Be extremely polite and well dressed.

In your case, I would ask to see all contracts relating to parking, try and do a reconciliation between the number of parking tickets issued ( there should be consecutive numbers in the books) and the number of fines collected. All descrapancies to be examined in detail...look for patterns of why fines were not collected / written off. Ask for copies of employment contracts of all those involved in parking, you are looking for commission arrangements. If any are paid, has PAYE been correctly operated on these.

Ask the auditor what is the council policy on bribes paid to parking attendants, do they even have a policy, do they belong to the council or to the individual? If a fine is paid in cash, how is it accounted for.

HOLA4417
Guest absolutezero
I don't know causing trouble for your PS colleagues, perhaps you are non-conformist after all.

I did tell you.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Don't pay it. There are loads of possible reasons why you might be able to challenge the ticket. Sure, you could appeal to the kindness of the parking enforcement department (ha ha ha). You can also challenge for errors in the wording of the ticket or inadequate markings on the road.

Look here on how to get started. It needs a bit of your time to research it, but I felt that it was worthwhile when I followed their advice and got my ticket cancelled.

Good luck!

HOLA4420
Guest absolutezero
There is a similar provision entitling you to request to view tapes of any CCTV camera you believe may have filmed you.

This is a good one.

Go for a wander round the Town Hall or other similar place.

Then write them a letter (templates are on the net or PM me and I'll mail them to you), telling them you visited their building on suchaday and suchatime and you want to exercise your subject access rights under the Data Protection Act.

Send them a £10 cheque as well.

They then have to go through the footage, find you, fuzz out everyone else's face (otherwise that would breach the Act - allowing you to see other people) then send you the footage.

Costs a fortune for them in time (the staff are salaried so makes no odds what they do) and makes you feel very, very satisfied. :)

HOLA4421

35 quid penalty charge.

Now I need my wheels, so I don't want to mess with the council in case they clamp the motor, so I'll probably pay the fine and get a permit.

Surely there is something that I can request them to do that will cost them a vast amount of hassle money and time.

Seeing my councillor twice a week ? Requesting a vast amount of useless information on a regular basis ?

Darn Zero 'sort of' beat me to it!

Like restaurants (where you are allowed to inspect where your food is being prepared!) as far as I remember as a council tax paying member of public you are allowed access to inspect most areas of the local Town Hall/council OFF-ICEs.

This of course would require a member of staff to accompany you whilst you carry out an 'inspection' that your tax money isn't being wasted! :P

HOLA4422

35 quid penalty charge.

Heres an idea - pay it.

You knew the rules of the game, you broke them, now take the consequences.

Fair enough trying to get away without getting a permit, but don't complain when you get caught.

And before you all start the abuse, just consider what congestion would be like without ticketing.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest absolutezero

35 quid penalty charge.

I suppose £35 is cheaper than the permit...

You're still quids in.

HOLA4425
Heres an idea - pay it.

You knew the rules of the game, you broke them, now take the consequences.

Fair enough trying to get away without getting a permit, but don't complain when you get caught.

And before you all start the abuse, just consider what congestion would be like without ticketing.

+1

Would be one thing if the fine was gratuitous or unfair, but if you got caught fair and square then there really isnt any moral grounds to not pay.

Free-for-all parking would bring many areas to total gridlock as selfish idiots park anwyhere and everywhere without consideration to the poor unfortunates with whom they share the planet.

Archived