House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

Acer Travelmate Struggles To Play Youtube Video's

Got an old Acer Travelmate 230 with a 2mhz Celeron Processor, 768mhz ram

Yes I know its old, but the display is great and its not a bad laptop. Its got a fresh install of XP home which is fully patched and up to date.

However it can't play any video content at all for very long without the CPU going to 100%

Done all the usuals. Checked for viruses/ spyware/malware. Shut down unneccessary programmes.

I've downloaded all the latest drivers from the Acer website

Its not a flash/network issue as I've tried downloading .flv and converting to mp3 and .avi. Still no joy.

Slightly ridiculous as I have other laptops are even more challenged in the processor department which perform far better. I'm toying with installing Ububtu on a spare hard drive and seeing if thats better.

Any idea's anyone?

Yes I know its old, but the display is great and its not a bad laptop. Its got a fresh install of XP home which is fully patched and up to date.

However it can't play any video content at all for very long without the CPU going to 100%

Done all the usuals. Checked for viruses/ spyware/malware. Shut down unneccessary programmes.

Its not a flash/network issue as I've tried downloading .flv and converting to mp3 and .avi. Still no joy.

Slightly ridiculous as I have other laptops are even more challenged in the processor department which perform far better. I'm toying with installing Ububtu on a spare hard drive and seeing if thats better.

Any idea's anyone?

Oil change? :rolleyes:

Any idea's anyone?

Try downloading CleanCashe and keep wiping the temporary files. That's what I used to do on my old XP machine. Defragment often.

Laptops/computers slow down when they get hot, and laptops are really bad at cooling themselves. Buy a laptop cooling device off ebay for 5 quid, or as a temporary measure hold the laptop in mid air, identify when the air enters and leaves the laptop and make sure the vents are clear when playing video. Clear any muck from fans/vents if your a smoker or you have used the laptop alot.

Funny it will play downloaded .flv video's fine using Video Lan Player. But yes it sure needs a defrag.

Defrag and cleancashe are your friends, for sure. You can get Cleancashe at major geeks dot com under drive cleaners. It's free and I've been using it for years. Cleans and wipes windows, IE memory history, etc. Even Mozilla Firefox.

Laptops/computers slow down when they get hot, and laptops are really bad at cooling themselves. Buy a laptop cooling device off ebay for 5 quid, or as a temporary measure hold the laptop in mid air, identify when the air enters and leaves the laptop and make sure the vents are clear when playing video. Clear any muck from fans/vents if your a smoker or you have used the laptop alot.

Yes this Acer gets stinking hot. Can't operate it from your lap comfortably. Have a fan/blower nearby when I use it. Putting on your lap risks blocking the CPU vents, so you need to strategically place your thighs.

I had one of these Acers brand new, and it was a great machine then, until the back light failed.

Time for a new netbook methinks.

Also I tend to use Chrome these days. Even Firefox struggles when run on a clunker.

Any idea's anyone?

Trying to run XP on a 2mhz processor?! :huh:

It's a celeron.

POS

Christ knows why intel even bothers with these processors, the are a crippled POS.

The processor is the bottle neck, even upgrading with more ram won't help.

At work we've got a PC that's a 2ghz celeron it's truly awful.

Have you thought about trying Ubuntu or another Linux distro on it. Maybe Linux will work better than Windows.

I have thought that for some reason MS have crippled XP on older systems to try and get people that frustrated they will buy another PC.

It's a celeron.

POS

Agreed

Using a free YouTube downloader, .flv, .avi and mp4 video's play very nicely using VLC Video Player, even in full screen.

I'm using the very latest Flash plugin, but the the performance is poor when either Chrome or Firefox. Oh well.

You tried re-installing Flash then? or Windows?

Telling us what process is using all the CPU might help a bit :)

My old Duron 850 can play Youtube videos

Yes this Acer gets stinking hot. Can't operate it from your lap comfortably. Have a fan/blower nearby when I use it. Putting on your lap risks blocking the CPU vents, so you need to strategically place your thighs.

I had one of these Acers brand new, and it was a great machine then, until the back light failed.

Time for a new netbook methinks.

Also I tend to use Chrome these days. Even Firefox struggles when run on a clunker.

Buy and Acer Aspire One 150D (I got one for £160) with Linux. Works perfectly on Youtube.

others have already pointed out the right path. ubuntu is the answer.

reaches for spare hard drive and xubuntu disc... ;)