House Price Crash Forum

Proof Of 2010 Economic Armageddon,apocalypse,meltdown!

HOLA441

Travelodge just emailed this spam into my inbox:

"Spring. It's such a lovely time of the year isn't it? Flowers are blooming, new life is beginning, kids are on half term, and there's Easter too. Why not get out and enjoy it with our £12 Spring Sale?

Sale starts 6am Thursday 3rd September for stays between 1st Jan - 11th April 2010".

For a family of 4 like ours in one room that is 3 quid each per person per night - bookable up to 7 months in advance...unprecedented for such a long period ahead. Travelodge is clearly panicking about the winter dead zone months in what is clearly going to be a very bad year, also confronted by all its copycat competitors now eg Premiere Inn etc - so it is getting its revenge in first. Those of us with 2 pennies to rub together might be able to enjoy some really cheap UK hotel deals next year, before they go belly up.

PS - I always wanted to use the words "Armageddon,Apocalypse,Meltdown!" in a thread title, forgive the artistic license

HOLA442
HOLA443

"Spring. It's such a lovely time of the year isn't it? Flowers are blooming, new life is beginning, kids are on half term, and there's Easter too. Why not get out and enjoy it with our £12 Spring Sale?

Sale starts 6am Thursday 3rd September for stays between 1st Jan - 11th April 2010".

For a family of 4 like ours in one room that is 3 quid each per person per night - bookable up to 7 months in advance...unprecedented for such a long period ahead. Travelodge is clearly panicking about the winter dead zone months in what is clearly going to be a very bad year, also confronted by all its copycat competitors now eg Premiere Inn etc - so it is getting its revenge in first. Those of us with 2 pennies to rub together might be able to enjoy some really cheap UK hotel deals next year, before they go belly up.

PS - I always wanted to use the words "Armageddon,Apocalypse,Meltdown!" in a thread title, forgive the artistic license

Strewth, a mate went camping in South Wales last week. He said it was £6 each in a camp site.

Will they be soon become known as 'Unravel-Lodge' :unsure:

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Supply and demand.

It not demand issues here, its just their quarterly £9 offer for a few rooms (at most one room per hotel per night at that price).

Personally I'm more concerned about the 33% increase in price. Hyperinflation anyone.

HOLA447

I'm getting some and having a quick break by the sea! For £60 I'll not be sobbing if I don't fancy it at the time or can't do it.

Did the same last year for £19 a night. Place was fine, really, for somewhere to get your head down after the night out.

I've stayed in fleapits ten times worse for the same money.

HOLA448

do you have to pay up front

maybe they are desperate for the cash

or maybe they will invest the paper in something

HOLA449
I'm getting some and having a quick break by the sea! For £60 I'll not be sobbing if I don't fancy it at the time or can't do it.

Did the same last year for £19 a night. Place was fine, really, for somewhere to get your head down after the night out.

I've stayed in fleapits ten times worse for the same money.

Us too. I wonder also if those people who have lived in a Travelodge for 21 years paying the advance booking 19 quid* a night rate will get the discount for those dates?

* yes, that is right, the elderly couple pay 570 punds a month rent for secure room with all hot water, power, heating and cable TV, council tax etc included, the managers even let them have a microwave, toaster etc - you cannot live that cheaply in a house. They even get free bog roll and clean sheets and towels....tempting

HOLA4410
Us too. I wonder also if those people who have lived in a Travelodge for 21 years paying the advance booking 19 quid* a night rate will get the discount for those dates?

* yes, that is right, the elderly couple pay 570 punds a month rent for secure room with all hot water, power, heating and cable TV, council tax etc included, the managers even let them have a microwave, toaster etc - you cannot live that cheaply in a house. They even get free bog roll and clean sheets and towels....tempting

There was a thread on here about them some time ago, I remember it well. It was in the papers, maybe last year?

Yes, you pay up front, and it's non refundable. I'd guess they have a reasonable number of cancellations that they get to sell on at higher prices nearer the time.

HOLA4411

IMO they know that they are going to be running at low occupancy then and they do an easyjet style offer: cheap as chips for 10% of their rooms. THey offer rooms sell months in advance, but they can then offer other less good offers to anyone who rings them looking for a room who has decided already that a weekend away is a good idea.

They probably pick up plenty of full rate and part discounted business as a result as well as introducing new customers to their product and mailing list.

Effective use of a theoretically quieter period to dramatically increase business, albeit at lower margin.

HOLA4412
Christ, I'd feel guilty using the soap.

Nothing like a good 'ole Masonic 'rendering'? :lol:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Interesting... Travelodge's are usually impossible to get in on Mon to Thurs due to all the business users. This 'sale' is a good indication of the wider business sector being in the doo doo.

I do quite a few induction courses for pub managers for our firm and we have just manipulated the hours to cut overnight stays by 3 nights for inductees on their 2 week induction. I dont mind - an 11.00am start means I dont have to get up at the crack of dawn!

Mind you they would have been staying in our hotels anyway......

Edited by Kurt Barlow