House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

godless

Festival Collapses

"Why I cancelled Beachdown" - festival boss speaks

9:42am Thursday 27th August 2009

comment Comments (31) Have your say »

Exclusive By Naomi Loomes »

Joe Pidgeon broke down in tears as he described how he would lose his home over the failed Beachdown Festival.

The Brighton music festival was called off shortly after midnight yesterday, just two days before thousands of people were due to turn up at Devil’s Dyke for the three day event.

He said he was “a dead man walking†after he and the three other directors of Future Festivals Ltd were forced to call off the festival.

He said his family’s home, where he lives with his partner and daughter, would have to be sold.

The 43-year-old said: “Everything changed two weeks ago when three big corporate suppliers, including a staging supplier and a sound system supplier, asked for 100% of their money up front.

“The bank simply wouldn’t lend us the money in this current economic climate.â€

He said despite doing everything they could, at 5pm on Tuesday he and the other directors, Darren and John Murphy, decided the whole event was not financially viable.

He said: “We have all put an immense amount of emotional and financial investment into this.

We are just three men from Brighton who really wanted this to work.

“The most frustrating thing for me is if we’d been able to do it, we would have had a quarter of a million pounds straight away from sponsorship and things.

It was purely a cash flow issue.â€

It is believed Darren Murphy’s father, John, contributed up to £250,000 to help get Beachdown off the ground last year and Mr Pidgeon has had to remortgage properties in the city to continue funding the event.

He said: “This has been the worst 24 hours of my life. We were so close.

Further:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/4567802._Wh...al_boss_speaks/

I wonder if the wet weather forecast played a part in this?

The forecast is not too bad for Brighton this weekend! I'm heading down there myself.

I just got off the phone with my mate down there, who's a bit hacked off at the festival cancellation, having got tickets for his older kids.

I wonder if the wet weather forecast played a part in this?

Wet...The forecast for the south coast is sun, sun and sun with a bit of cloud.......

No good for a festival: Where are the mudbaths?!?!?!

Last year, the organisers claimed they had sold about 10,000 tickets. In fact, it was believed to be less than 6,000.
The cancellation has completed a torrid year for Beachdown’s organisers Future Festivals Ltd, whose reputation was tarnished by complaints when it failed to fully pay suppliers for last year’s event.

In December, Beachdown organisers claimed all the businesses had been paid and the problem was caused by a delay in receiving a tax rebate from the Inland Revenue.

So the Inland Revenue were going to pay suppliers :blink:

maybe they had a load of rubbish acts on,,

should have had my favs,

Emerson Lake and Palmer

Rush

Tesla

Mr Big

and a bit of comedy with the Krankies, and paul daniels for the magic, with compare Alvin Stardust

fantastic

:)

serious about the bands though

On TV now, apparently there is a "lack of trust" between organisers and suppliers. In plain English, "we ain't gonna do nuffink unless it is cash on the barrel". Expect more of this kind of relation in the coming years, "credit", that is soooo 2007!

On TV now, apparently there is a "lack of trust" between organisers and suppliers. In plain English, "we ain't gonna do nuffink unless it is cash on the barrel". Expect more of this kind of relation in the coming years, "credit", that is soooo 2007!

totally right there,

cash first then service, not the other way around now

maybe they had a load of rubbish acts on,,

should have had my favs,

Emerson Lake and Palmer

Rush

Tesla

Mr Big

and a bit of comedy with the Krankies, and paul daniels for the magic, with compare Alvin Stardust

fantastic

:)

serious about the bands though

I'd have gone, if they had booked Electric Light Orchestra and Ken Dodd.

I've been told it's Reading Festival this weekend. If true, the planning of one in Brighton the same weekend was a monumental blooper.

Mr. Blue Sky, Horace Wimp and Happiness - my kind of concert!

i agree , sounds fantastic, fancy putting a concert on anyone

the bird back-up singer in ELO last DVD was a total babe

Mr. Blue Sky, Horace Wimp and Happiness - my kind of concert!

We are sorted then for an "HPC Party in the Park" :lol:

I've been told it's Reading Festival this weekend. If true, the planning of one in Brighton the same weekend was a monumental blooper.

A friend of mine is a concert nut - goes with her camper van. She was telling me that there are so many rock festivals on this Summer it is impossible to go to them all, let alone financially viable to go to them.

A friend of mine is a concert nut - goes with her camper van. She was telling me that there are so many rock festivals on this Summer it is impossible to go to them all, let alone financially viable to go to them.

and no ELO or ELP or Rush

'lights out' for festivals i think James T

Im leaning on a bank loan at the corner of the street in case a certain little loaner comes by,

oh me

oh my,

Im a bankrupt and I do not know why.

tinkle tinkle.

Emerson Lake and Palmer

Rush

Tesla

Mr Big

and no ELO or ELP or Rush

'lights out' for festivals i think James T

are any of that lot still alive, or in a fit medical condition to perform in front of 4 maybe 5 people that would be willing to turn up, but frown on paying the ticket price

are any of that lot still alive, or in a fit medical condition to perform in front of 4 maybe 5 people that would be willing to turn up, but frown on paying the ticket price

I heard the Gay Cavaleros were top billing.

only the best bands still breathing (just)

lucky i did not put camel on the bill, but think they are not breathing now, must have been the fags

and you will get some ex hippies not wanting to pay, lol

I haven't been to a festival in decades .

Back then you bought the ticket before arriving for the gig .

The guy who said he bought tickets for his kids implies the organisers must have had cash from punters upfront so why can't they pay the suppliers upfront ?

I haven't been to a festival in decades .

Back then you bought the ticket before arriving for the gig .

The guy who said he bought tickets for his kids implies the organisers must have had cash from punters upfront so why can't they pay the suppliers upfront ?

ive got tickets from some tout for a michael jackson concert.