House Price Crash Forum
LetsGetReadyToTumble

Spread Betting, How To Actually Make Money

I've been spread betting now for a couple of months. My initial stake is dwindling away. After all, I suppose this is purely gambling. If I sat in Ladbrokes in the high street and gambled, I know I'd eventually lose all my money.

I've studied the methods, and all the charts, but still am unable to comprehend how anybody makes money at this, unless they have inside information.

Incidentally, I have been betting on FOREX.

Can anyone tell me that there is money to be made, and if so, how?

How about as a hedge?

You have a big cash pot, you bet on house prices rising, so you don't get priced out if they do.

You have a big property portfolio, you bet on them falling, for similar reasons.

That is, bets you want to lose, in the interests of a better outcome somewhere bigger.

Since April my stats are 22 trades: 18 profitable, 3 loss making and 1 still open.

You need a good system if you are to make money from the stock market.

I've been spread betting now for a couple of months. My initial stake is dwindling away. After all, I suppose this is purely gambling. If I sat in Ladbrokes in the high street and gambled, I know I'd eventually lose all my money.

I've studied the methods, and all the charts, but still am unable to comprehend how anybody makes money at this, unless they have inside information.

In what way are you betting on Forex? You say its a small stake, are your stop-losses too close?

I find that newbie spread-betters are trying to make a quick buck on short-term moves, which frankly I think are a bit random...I go into my trades with long-term views, if it takes a year to play out, so be it....but you need to have a rationale on every trade. I find single-name stocks are what I do most, since I can have my own view on individual companies. Read read read....there are tons of good blogs out there, though more for US stock trading...try Reggie Middleton & The Fly, and read tons of general economic stuff, personally I prefer the sceptical (though I like to say realistic) blogs like Mish, Calculated Risk, The Market Ticker, and Macro Man is a good read for detailed stuff on the markets, with an FX/Interest-rate focus.

Stop betting on FOREX, start shorting retailers like M&S French Connection and that ilk. Sheesh YELL have just announced a refinancing to give thier banking covenants headroon... what the does that tell you... lol.

If you haven't already found it, you should look at www.forexfactory.com

Go to the commercial forum and read the Jacko, Silent Service and James16 threads all the way through. Should take a few days ;)

Then look through some other 5 star threads in that forum, plus those on the first page of the tradings systems forum.

cheers

sjiff

Yes, there is money to be made.

You set up a spread betting company, and take bets from punters.