House Price Crash Forum
worzel

The Average Lifestyle

There is lots of talk about UK standards of living dropping as we get somewhere closer to an equilibrium with the manufacturing nations of the east. With this in mind, what standard of living can the average person expect in ten years time. For the sake of argument, lets say this average person is 20 years old now, with no significant inheritance on the horizon, they are going to an average university, where they will get an average degree, get in average amount of debt and get an average graduate job afterwards. lets say this average man wants to start a family with his avergae wife at around thirty years of age, so there will only be one main breadwinner, with perhaps a little bit of part time work. What sort of lifestyle could this person reasonably expect to have in 10 years time?

Edited by worzel

Depends on whether 20 years is pre or post the next big war.

For the sake of argument, lets say there is no world war 3 in the next 10 years.

There is lots of talk about UK standards of living dropping as we get somewhere closer to an equilibrium with the manufacturing nations of the east. With this in mind, what standard of living can the average person expect in ten years time. For the sake of argument, lets say this average person is 20 years old now, with no significant inheritance on the horizon, they are going to an average university, where they will get an average degree, get in average amount of debt and get an average graduate job afterwards. lets say this average man wants to start a family with his avergae wife at around thirty years of age, so there will only be one main breadwinner, with perhaps a little bit of part time work. What sort of lifestyle could this person reasonably expect to have in 10 years time?

why will it be any different to now? If we all have to suffer equally then nothing should change.

Depends on how you look at it.

I think it's quite reasonable to expect more expensive fuel and food. Tax will be higher. In short, a bit like the mid-1970's.

Yet, despite the visual squalidness and ennui that dominated those times (not to mention flared trousers and crap glam bands in the charts), people were fitter, healthier, and better educated. Oh, and beer was cheaper.

Roll with the punches...

It will no doubt be average!!

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

After the population decimation by Rumsfeld virus H17N53 and cannibalism, we will be dressed in badger skins using donkeys to plough fields, riddled with toothache and abscesses, wishing for late summer when we can mix elderberries into our thin oat and grindstone gruel. Income tax revenues will be somewhat smaller than now.

why will it be any different to now? If we all have to suffer equally then nothing should change.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

Guest UK Debt Slave

All I can say is, you don't don't want to be stuck in the UK in 10 years time.......absolutely not

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

seriously I'm all ears. We'll still have schools, hospitals, houses and food. What else do we need?

I am always amazed by what people consider average and how they consider their lifestyles as 'reasonable and proportionate'. Many people I know take foreign holidays every year and I think they view them as an entitlement, many households run two or three cars when one will typically suffice, many people use electricity for facile purposes (e.g. the pump on the fish pond) and many throw good food away because it is 'out of date'. This is not an average lifestyle, this is oppulence in my opinion.

When the time comes it will be those in the 'Middle Class' who feel it is their right to have a choice of cars to drive or to jet half way round the world to sit next to a swimming pool that will suffer the most.

On the grounds that most of the extra money/debt has been spent on housing, it's possible that the

standard of living for a 20yo won't fall that far.

There will be jobs again.

Relative to wages, taxes, food and fuel will be higher - that's a given.

Relative to the East, we'll continue to get poorer, but no surprise there. Holidays and imported goods will

also be more expensive (relative to wages).

At the moment so much of the left over income is spent of housing (mortgage or rent), this will come down

as the left over income does. Housing will be much cheaper.

Pensioners will get hit hard. Inflation (mostly hidden) will cut down their nest eggs, but a lot of this money

was gained by what I consider an unfair wealth redistribution (young to old).

Middle age without debt, should also be ok.

Middle age, with debt and risky 'investments' will still get hit the worst.

I am always amazed by what people consider average and how they consider their lifestyles as 'reasonable and proportionate'. Many people I know take foreign holidays every year and I think they view them as an entitlement, many households run two or three cars when one will typically suffice, many people use electricity for facile purposes (e.g. the pump on the fish pond) and many throw good food away because it is 'out of date'. This is not an average lifestyle, this is oppulence in my opinion.

When the time comes it will be those in the 'Middle Class' who feel it is their right to have a choice of cars to drive or to jet half way round the world to sit next to a swimming pool that will suffer the most.

Agreed!

Aim for mortgage free and a little piece of land, and I reckon you wouldn't fair too badly.

Agreed!

Aim for mortgage free and a little piece of land, and I reckon you wouldn't fair too badly.

Being mortgage free may not be so easy if you come out of uni with over £10k of debt, you need to pay that off before you can consider getting the mortgage to then pay that off. As it happens, being mortgage free with a modest amount of land is what I am aiming for, still a way to go yet.

Somebody had this in their signature (can't remember who):

...the average American will be left with a shoe shine box and instructions on how to say please and thank you in Chinese.

Agreed!

Which do you consider the most important? I could probably manage mortgage free or a piece of land, but not both, for a while yet at least.

The man slowly lights the candle, aware that every minute he waits saves a precious centimetre of scavenged hydrocarbons, but now with the dark november night drawing in he needs light to look at the tattered collection of photographs in his pocket. The quiet drip, drip, drip of water is the soundtrack to his thoughts as the remnants of the earlier rainstorm wend their way through the collapsed roof and down the blown plaster to his den in the sitting room of his home. The faint crackle of electricity that used to burst into life as the water shorted circuits has long ceased, as has the production of electricity itself for most, and the lucky few with personal wind generators attract the roaming scavenging bands of energy and water bandits that kill without compunction for any share of scarce resources. The photos come out now and he stares at the pictures of the man, woman and child on them. He remembers that he used to be one of them, he was in that pictue, but he can't remember where nor when, and the other people, he can feel them, but he can't remember them. The candle sputters out. God has decided it is time to sleep, and the faint cry of the wolf is not enough to stop the man obeying. Anyways that was Glasgow this morning, I've no idea about 10 years hence.

How much will a barrel of oil cost in the year 2029?

Oil is the invisible modern slave, without him most of us would be out in the fields working the land. Unless we find viable sustainable ways to replace him, that is where we end up, out in the fields. Happy days.

I predict approximately another 10 posts before we go TFH on this thread.

I thought you'd retired to a life of skinny dipping in the North Sea. Couldn't resist the pull back to this site?

Hitler will arise from the dead, with DNA technologies only the few will understand

How much will a barrel of oil cost in the year 2029?

Oil is the invisible modern slave, without him most of us would be out in the fields working the land. Unless we find viable sustainable ways to replace him, that is where we end up, out in the fields. Happy days.

Absolutely. Whether you believe in it or not Peak Oil is the number one known unknown in your questions. We don't know if it will happen in that time frame (some believe it won't happen at all). Regardless, you need an opinion on it to answer your question. Global warming isn't nearly as important.

For me, I am getting my long haul traveling in now. I don't know when it will be but an error bar between 2005-2035 is almost insignificant in my opinion. It's hard to imagine children born today living their entire life with cheap energy. This is not cool.

When (if) that changes, it will change absolutely everything...

(however, no matter what happens, people will be people. We'll have the same loves, loses, and tribulations as ever).

I predict approximately another 10 posts before we go TFH on this thread.

I predict that this thread will get to page 2 before 10 more posts.

Anyway, I've just bought an oak framed bed with a rubber mattress and intend sleeping right through.....