House Price Crash Forum
Meerkat

Business Investment Drops Massively

UK Q2: -10.4% QoQ (expected -3.6%), YoY -18.4% (expected -12.2%)

Sibley & Co will prove so wrong down the line....

Edit: Got one number wrong, expected YoY was -12.2%

Edit2: Link Business Investment Data

It's funny though this information is getting no spin whatsoever: media very quick putting up NatWest house prices; however, that investment in production of useful things goes down (hence, unemployment to rise for sure) is of no interest. Pathetic.

Edited by Meerkat

UK Q2: -10.4% QoQ (expected -3.6%), YoY -18.4% (expected -18.4%)

Sibley & Co will prove so wrong down the line....

I need someone to explain this one to me.

The expected was way out on the quarter but spot on for the YOY. They had the previous 3 quarters confirmed for the YOY so the only bit missing was for the final quarter. This they got wrong but the YOY was perfect.

How come?

p-o-p

I need someone to explain this one to me.

The expected was way out on the quarter but spot on for the YOY. They had the previous 3 quarters confirmed for the YOY so the only bit missing was for the final quarter. This they got wrong but the YOY was perfect.

How come?

p-o-p

Sry for the mistake - my bad; expectations were -12.2%

OK. Thanks (sort of). I thought that I was in for an interesting lesson today.

p-o-p

One often sees this mom vs yoy mismatch where the mom is way different from the consensus but the yoy is bang on or visa versa. On e.g. fx-street fundamentals economic calendar.

I reckon it's because the consensus forecast reported is a simple average of the forecasts and the mom and yoy consensus forecasts are not consistent from the start.

One often sees this mom vs yoy mismatch where the mom is way different from the consensus but the yoy is bang on or visa versa. On e.g. fx-street fundamentals economic calendar.

I reckon it's because the consensus forecast reported is a simple average of the forecasts and the mom and yoy consensus forecasts are not consistent from the start.

Thanks. Next question. Does this massive annual drop indicate significant capital flight? Overseas investors not liking what is going on.

p-o-p

So basically all money is going into govt debt and property.

Where and how can this end...?

We all end up as enormously rich property tycoons, selling each other property for ever increasing amounts of borrowed money?

To Infinity And Beyond!

Thanks. Next question. Does this massive annual drop indicate significant capital flight? Overseas investors not liking what is going on.

p-o-p

I don't think Balance of Payments stats for Q2 have been released yet. In any case, one would expect the current account deficit to reduce as domestic demand is squeezed and exports benefit from sterling depreciation. The reduced current account deficit implies a reduced capital/financial account surplus -- balance of payments always balance (apart from change in central bank FX reserves). Identifying capital flight is tricky, but one could look at the the Direct Investment figures -- a sharp drop here would be indicative.

I don't think Balance of Payments stats for Q2 have been released yet. In any case, one would expect the current account deficit to reduce as domestic demand is squeezed and exports benefit from sterling depreciation. The reduced current account deficit implies a reduced capital/financial account surplus -- balance of payments always balance (apart from change in central bank FX reserves). Identifying capital flight is tricky, but one could look at the the Direct Investment figures -- a sharp drop here would be indicative.

Angry Alice http://angryalice.blogspot.com/ did something on this but it is a bit old now. The BoE stats for June seem to continue the trend but it's a bit too complex for me http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/statistics/...rrent/index.htm

p-o-p

BUMP again. In the business that I work in we are more concerned with paying down debt than investing at the moment, having had an informal hint from our banks that the credit lines we have for the next 5 years may not be available if we were to ask for them right now.

Thank god it's not affected GDP figures.

Brown has done a great job borrowing the money to cover this short fall propping up the recovery.

We have a investmentless recovery.

In fairness, what with global consumer activity tanking, we're not going to need all this productive capacity anyway.....

We have a investmentless recovery.

So to sum up:

A jobless, investmentless, exportless, recoveryless recovereh?

Have I left anything out?

Thank God for ever-increasing house prices!

In fairness, what with global consumer activity tanking, we're not going to need all this productive capacity anyway.....

Exactly, and that's why it makes sense that residential property pxs have been going up as of late, after all there will be less jobs and less real wealth created :lol: