House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mega

Euro Edges Up!

Almost .90...................i know Euroland has problems as well, but sure as eggs is eggs Gordo is about to run out of money.............1:1 very soon?

Mike

Tough call, we both appear as screwed as each other and the French have just announced they are shafting the Germans by borrowing more money to stimulate the economy with.

Edited by interestrateripoff

Almost .90...................i know Euroland has problems as well, but sure as eggs is eggs Gordo is about to run out of money.............1:1 very soon?

Mike

normally when UK house prices rise, sterling strengthens as people expect rates to go up. Here is the opposite is happening which makes me believe that the fx markets have seen through the printing sham and the currency is going to get trashwd. What the government giveth (low interest rats on trackers) the market will take away (GBP1.40 petrol anyone?)

normally when UK house prices rise, sterling strengthens as people expect rates to go up. Here is the opposite is happening which makes me believe that the fx markets have seen through the printing sham and the currency is going to get trashwd. What the government giveth (low interest rats on trackers) the market will take away (GBP1.40 petrol anyone?)

I noticed that too - you know the first thing that I did on reading the NWide headline was to check the GBP:THB cross rate (all my costs are in THB) and it was down 1% from yesterday. I thought there was some sort of error, until I noticed GBP down against virtually everything.

Perhaps the error has been identified - this time by the markets.

where's all those posters that have been telling me about sterling's strength & eurozone weakness.

or

were they VI's with UK businesses getting absolutely hammered atm. ;)

muwahahahahahahahaah :lol::lol:

I am still here GoM. This is a mere statistical abberation.

I am still here GoM. This is a mere statistical abberation.

ah ralphmalph (great choice of username btw)

I almost got a 15 year old to choose a username for me also, but decided I would choose it myself. ;)

anyway's.......back to business......

blip or no blip......the word is out, UK plc is in the poop, eurozone is a better class of poop with a slightly longer shelf life.

If you have a pipe, please feel free to stick this in & have a smoke. parity-pound is a given for anyone with a GCSE in economics :)

Edited by grumpy-old-man-returns

I almost got a 15 year old to choose a username for me also, but decided I would choose it myself. ;)

blip or no blip......the word is out, UK plc is in the poop, eurozone is a better class of poop with a slightly longer shelf life.

If you have a pipe, please feel free to stick this in & have a smoke. parity-pound is a given for anyone with a GCSE in economics :)

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=EURG...ource=undefined

Watch it bounce of the green line as the pound continues to strengthen (this is the technical reason)

When Germany fesses up to is banking problems in full end of september just watch the euro tank. This is the fundamental reason.

If you want to lose your money that is your choice.

Watch it bounce of the green line as the pound continues to strengthen (this is the technical reason)

When Germany fesses up to is banking problems in full end of september just watch the euro tank. This is the fundamental reason.

I notice the bounce off the green line back in june too.........

also, from last October, looks like a rather large bullish pennant, target 1.02. You can't just pick and choose technicals to suit your case.

No one wants to have to decide which poop to have but let's face it you will always pick the one that smells less foul

No one wants to have to decide which poop to have but let's face it you will always pick the one that smells less foul

Great im of to Crete in a few weeks. Couple this with 1.6% rise in HP rises and its not a good day. At least my shares are on the up

also, from last October, looks like a rather large bullish pennant, target 1.02. You can't just pick and choose technicals to suit your case.

Why not, every other technical analyst on here or on TV does. What realy makes me laugh is they say stuff like "if fuzzy duzzy indicator hits wonga then the price will fall whereas if jasmine scented candletsick formation lights up then it will rise."

They might as well just say "well it could go up, down or stay the same and I Mr TA hotshot have not got a clue."

that must have been a frantic 9 minute google fest for that link.

btw, there isn't such a thing as 'technical reasons', although to people who don't understand it makes you sound knowledgeable'n'stuff, when really it's all just sentiment driven & nothing more. ;)

that must have been a frantic 9 minute google fest for that link.

btw, there isn't such a thing as 'technical reasons', although to people who don't understand it makes you sound knowledgeable'n'stuff, when really it's all just sentiment driven & nothing more. ;)

See my posts above. But sentiment is driven by fundamentals.

where's all those posters that have been telling me about sterling's strength & eurozone weakness.

GOM, you said countless times that £ will join the Euro before Christmas 09.

I can see you are wetting yourself right now as you think things are edging your way - but let's see who gets the last laugh, shall we?

Only 4 months to go, dude... I can't wait :lol:

Edited by VoteWithYourFeet

GOM, you said countless times that £ will join the Euro before Christmas 09.

I can see you are wetting yourself right now as you think things are edging your way - but let's see who gets the last laugh, shall we?

Only 5 months to go, dude... I can't wait :lol:

I feel very sorry for you. You are almost on par with someone trying to sell their house & saying prices in their street never go down. currency in your country never goes down eh ?

please think about it.

I feel very sorry for you.

Don't. I have a very sizeable amount of Euros and Euro-denominated assets in my portfolio.

Unlike yourself, I believe in minimizing risk by diversifying - and I know the market can stay irrational for a very long time.

You are almost on par with someone ...

Gawd, you are OBSESSED with parity, aren't you? ;)

currency in your country never goes down eh ?

£ has already gone down very significantly both vs the Euro and $.

Clearly, to a certain extent the BOE and gubbmint are happy about this and have arguably done what they could to maintain this status quo.

Most Eurozone economies have nothing to gain from the Euro at these levels.

Buying Euros now would be as rational as buying a house in th UK on the back of the recent Haliwide figs - unless you are a day trader.

Edited by VoteWithYourFeet

Seems to me Trichet King and Bernanke have a tacit agreement to try to maintain the currencies roughly where they are. So it will take big shifts in sentiment to derail that.

Mike

Won't he just print more by Quantitative Easing?

So UK currency will progressively become more worthless, look at what happened to the Zimbabwe dollar.

Don't. I have a very sizeable amount of Euros and Euro-denominated assets in my portfolio.

Unlike yourself, I believe in minimizing risk by diversifying - and I know the market can stay irrational for a very long time.

have you got any other posts that state this ? if so can you give me a link to it or them please ?

not that I think you're making stuff up of course, first time I have heard you mention you have a very sizeable amount of euro's & euro-denominated assets in your portfolio

so why are you so pro-sterling then ? & you have also beeen saying that you thought the euro was much weaker than the pound & that the euro would go before the pound.........so that seems strange that today you post about your sizeable euro holdings.

edited - let me be really clear - why are you holding something in euros when you tell me & others every week that the pound is stronger.

fwiw, i don't have a portfolio.

have you got any other posts that state this ? if so can you give me a link to it or them please ?

not that I think you're making stuff up of course, first time I have heard you mention you have a very sizeable amount of euro's & euro-denominated assets in your portfolio

Yes, I have stated this before more than once, although not to you by the sound of it.

I remember mentioning it in conversation with that other loveable parity fan BXLONDONMAN, now sadly disappeared from HPC :lol:

Can't be bothered to go and dig the posts out, but feel free to do so yourself if you are so inclined.

so why are you so pro-sterling then ? & you have also beeen saying that you thought the euro was much weaker than the pound & that the euro would go before the pound.........so that seems strange that today you post about your sizeable euro holdings.

edited - let me be really clear - why are you holding something in euros when you tell me & others every week that the pound is stronger.

I explained this in my previous post.

I believe in diversification is a means of reducing risk at a time of hightened uncertainty.

Although I strongly believe the Euro to be overvalued against the £ at the moment, a % of my portfolio is invested in it (and in other ccys too) because I want to hedge against the probablity of my assumption being wrong.

I know that the market can stay irrational for a very, very long time before eventually correcting.

It is very risky to keep entire wealth in one asset class or ccy, like you seem to be doing. You will either be proved completely right or completely wrong.

I like to hedge my bets. This is what 15 years working in financial markets have taught me.

fwiw, i don't have a portfolio.

Never doubted this for a second, dude :rolleyes:

I like to hedge my bets. This is what 15 years working in financial markets have taught me.

Never doubted this for a second, dude :rolleyes:

I don't say this very often:

I don't believe you. I don't think you are what you say you are, & I don't believe you financial statement. This shows through in your postings.

Seems to me Trichet King and Bernanke have a tacit agreement to try to maintain the currencies roughly where they are. So it will take big shifts in sentiment to derail that.

yeah, and what did that do to interest rates in 1990?