House Price Crash Forum
athom

Network Rail Office Staff Find Cunning Plan To See Out The Recession

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8221540.stm

Network Rail has proposed a new £34bn ($55bn) high-speed railway line linking Scotland and London by 2030.

The line would serve Birmingham and Manchester, getting passengers from Glasgow to London in just two hours and 16 minutes, the rail firm said.

The government said assessments of the costs and environmental issues involved needed to be carried out before it could approve any plans. (QUANGOTASTIC!)

It is currently conducting its own rail network review and said it hoped to be in a position to make a decision next year.

If given the go-ahead, Network Rail said it would take up to five years to decide on the exact route and complete the planning stages.

It wants the first section of the line between London and Birmingham to be completed by 2020.

happy_businessman.jpghappy_businessman.jpghappy-businessman-sml.jpgbusinessman.jpghappy-businessman.jpg

Note how they state the exact number of bridges (138) and miles of tunnel (34) to be built, but don't upset voters in marginal Midland constituencies by revealing who's in line for a compulsory purchase.

I'd have thought those trying to sell might have welcomed such a move. Probably a faster way to shift their home than in the current market, 15 years rather than 25.

I've now realised this.

This rail building plan is straight out of the Nippon Play book.

Economy phucked. Banks Zombiefied. Let's build a massive railway and cover any exposed land in concrete.

To be fair, Nippon does have the best railways in the world and they provide an excellent backbone to their economy. Once the recovery really starts, I'd think modern Japan will be better placed than antiquated Britain.

At least Japan got on with building the actual railways, we'll sit talking about them for 10 years. 5 years deciding what to do and then 5 years in planning enquiries - does it really take so long to decide whether or not to concrete over Wolverhampton? I'd have thought the answer was obvious.

A friend of mine works for NR, and things aren't so rosey at the moment. He's working on a project with 6 other people and so far 3 of them have been told they'll be made redundant shortly. He's waiting until October to find out if he'll be made redundant or relocate to the Midlands.

By 2030? WTF? We will probably all be driving carbon neutral hover cars by then.

I reckon they should branch it at Birmingham and send a line to Cardiff as well. It'll spread the wealth effect of London out all over the UK. You can actually have your London job if you want but commute from Scotland or Wales. Should keep the SNP happy for a while.

I thought about a national rail link ages ago. Came up with the idea of a sweeper train - perhaps the leading engine coupled by a long run of sacrificial carriages (strong in tension but crumble like paper in compression - e.g. a hollowed out shell with a pull-chain inside) so that if there's any problem with the line when you're doing 200mph, you can signal to the passenger carriages at the back to slam their anchors on while the engine and sacrificial carriages go up in smoke.

And they could use captive tracks too, akin to the design a rollercoaster uses - 2 guide wheels either side of the main running wheel, rotated by more than 90 degrees. These would prevent the train jumping the track at high speed.

Now just commision Pendolino rolling stock and you're done.

Edited by AvidFan

From 1958 in 11 years we (or the Irish) built 1,000 miles of motorway, the Severn Bridge was opened in 1966.

How about instead of a bidding trust or PFI or PPP to create a scheme to discourage road use, or "smarter choices" as the TFI

put it along with encouraging smart moves to Public Transport and the gradual slowdown in average speeds and increase in

congestion and possible road pricing schemes.

Get some construction workers, unemployed contruction workers and young people.

Give them training and equipment, planners choose the key areas so some work can take place while the overall

structure is created, after 5 years the first major section starts. Meanwhile local areas get new roads instead of

the war torn potholed courses we have to use now.

We then have nice smooth roads and high speed motorways with less congestion, future green technologies can

use them the same as we do now.

I saw this on the news last night.

It reminded me of Tomorrow's World.

You know - where they show you a new invention that will changes our lives - and then you look back a decade later and it never happened.

well if it doesn't you can blame the Govt.

are they on drugs?

the West Coast Main Line already follows that route

The WCML was built in the 1800's, billions were spent (probably foolishly) upgrading it to run at 125mph. It cannot take trains running at 186mph. If the Govt had the foresight 10 years ago they would have started building a new line then.

Roads are only going to get busier, existing rail lines are nearing capacity. What is wrong with building something that most other major countries have?

What is wrong with building something that most other major countries have?

Well for a start we're broke. When i'm feeling short of cash i try to avoid making huge upgrade purchases of things i already have.... Just my queer very un-Brownsian way of thinking i know

Well for a start we're broke. When i'm feeling short of cash i try to avoid making huge upgrade purchases of things i already have.... Just my queer very un-Brownsian way of thinking i know

we don't already have a high speed railway linking London to Glasgow in 2hrs. Some things need to be done, regardless of the finances, now if the Govt could just realise that and start building some nuclear power plants as well the future would be a whole lot rosier.

we don't already have a high speed railway linking London to Glasgow in 2hrs. Some things need to be done, regardless of the finances, now if the Govt could just realise that and start building some nuclear power plants as well the future would be a whole lot rosier.

that's the spirit. Are you a civil servant ?

I'm with Athom on this one. We couldn't even build a helter skelter without it going 20 times over budget & being delayed 5 years, only to not work on the switch on date ffs.

Let's be honest the UK is fooken useless. :lol:

can't wait for the olympics, it should be historically hilarious. :o:lol:

no really we DO have a high speed rail link to Glasgow. It goes well over a hundred miles an hour man :o

Do we really need people commuting from Glasgow to London / Birmingham to Edinburgh etc? Really need??

If they're not doing it daily do they really need to shave A WHOLE HOUR off the journey? Are we so efficient the rest of the time that we never waste an hour here and there? FFS

We do not NEED it by any reasonable measure.

that's the spirit. Are you a civil servant ?

I'm with Athom on this one. We couldn't even build a helter skelter without it going 20 times over budget & being delayed 5 years, only to not work on the switch on date ffs.

Let's be honest the UK is fooken useless. :lol:

can't wait for the olympics, it should be historically hilarious. :o:lol:

You only hear about the ones that don't get built on time that's why. If every project went over budget and time there wouldn't be a construction company of note left.

no really we DO have a high speed rail link to Glasgow. It goes well over a hundred miles an hour man :o

Do we really need people commuting from Glasgow to London / Birmingham to Edinburgh etc? Really need??

If they're not doing it daily do they really need to shave A WHOLE HOUR off the journey? Are we so efficient the rest of the time that we never waste an hour here and there? FFS

We don't need alot of things, bit it's better to have most of them. Having HS2 can only benefit the country, so build it.

You only hear about the ones that don't get built on time that's why. If every project went over budget and time there wouldn't be a construction company of note left.

sure there would, if they were all bad we'd just have to put up with it and choose the best of a bad bunch. Ah no i see where that saying came from.

We don't need alot of things, bit it's better to have most of them. Having HS2 can only benefit the country, so build it.

But at the risk of sounding like a broken record we're broke, really really really really broke. We're past broke actually, broke just means having no money. That would seem like wealthy compared to the position we're in.

I don't know what you lot are complaining about. This project will create a lot of very much needed jobs in the construction industry. NR employ a lot of contractors (usually prefering UK). You seem to be only able to think as far as conspiracy theories that are anything remotely to do with the government!

Edited by Neil B

If you notice, they say there will be a Heathrow station on the route too. Whats happening here is that Brown can see Heathrow 3rd runway being scrapped so his backup plan is to have a train that goes just as fast if not faster than the internal flights from Heathrow. I know id rather catch a train from Heathrow to Scotland takening 2hr 30 mins instead of a plan taking 1hr45mins (numbers just plucked randomly from the air). It means there is room to scrap most internal flights. Hell, we are only an island - why do we need internal flights?

I don't know what you lot are complaining about. This project will create a lot of very much needed jobs in the construction industry. NR employ a lot of contractors (usually prefering UK). You seem to be only able to think as far as conspiracy theories that are anything remotely to do with the government!

There is something disturbing about the idea of the government creating jobs with my money. Why would i want to pay someone to do something i don't feel we need just to keep them in the lifestyle they have become accustomed to?

What makes you think this is a conspiracy theory? :blink: