House Price Crash Forum

Daniel Hannan Jumps The Shark

HOLA441

More evidence of how counter productive the party political system is. MP disagrees with leader - media circus - shut up, follow the whip, or get fired? When can we get some serious electoral reform?

As for Hannan himself. I don't agree with all he says, but I respect that he speaks his mind and encourages actual debate.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Powell was an intelligent man who spent a lifetime serving his country and he contributed a great deal. Sadly, the Left used one line in a speech to totally destroy him, his reputation, and rub out all his hard work. But that's politics. As for Hannan, he should know better than this - unless he thinks he is big enough to repackage the Enoch Powell meme and survive. Which he isn't.

Much like the 'there's no such thing as society' Thatcher line. The political left do like their little mantras to repeat.

HOLA448

What a total non story.! He didn't mention immigration!!. Powell was not only known for his immigration views. I see a desperate Labour party trying to cling onto 'ammo' against the Tories, making a fuss about nothing rather than sorting out the own mess they created. As for the NHS - its a shambles.

HOLA449

So according to Labour:

People who advocate and sponsor terrorism = good

People who tell the truth = bad

Seems Labours moral compass seems to be broken as it only points in the direction of where they can see the greatest political capital.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8223664.stm

Responding to Mr Hannan's latest remarks, Labour MP Parmjit Dhanda said: "Last week Daniel Hannan attacked the NHS. Now he's talking up Enoch Powell as a key influence for Cameron's Conservatives.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...e-payments.html

In March 2004, he submitted a claim of £708.33, which was paid in full by the Commons fees office. Yet a statement from his mortgage lender, sent by the MP to the fees office to support his claim, shows that while he paid the lender £708.33, the “interest due†that month was stated to be only £648.83.

Other claims by the MP on his ACA, relating to his second home �" a flat just south of the Thames �" include £40 on a tea­pot, £17 on a sugar bowl and £29 on a gravy boat. He also regularly claimed money for food, utilities, telephone bills, cleaning and repairs. Under his Incidental Expenses Provision, which is for office costs, he has claimed at least £8,300 in “petty cashâ€, as well as two digital cameras and £188 for a video from a consultancy firm.

A claim for £121.46 for “imprints on Christmas mailing†was disallowed, as was a £50 Remembrance Sunday wreath. Mr Dhanda says those claims were “not appropriate and not something I would ever consciously doâ€.

HOLA4410
As for Hannan himself. I don't agree with all he says, but I respect that he speaks his mind and encourages actual debate.

A bit like Trotsky and Hitler then. As long as he 'speaks his mind and encourages actual debate', that's OK!

As I said on a previous Hannan story, the man speaks for the average Conservative. But, we all know that those views - run of the mill ones 'down the Con Club' - are considered so extreme in the outside world that, if he keeps up with his verbal diarrhoea, he will lose the election for us all.

Someone asked 'Is a 17% lead not enough?'. Well, believe me, it isn't! A repeat of the usual swing back to the incumbent party in the dying months of a government will wipe out a working majority, easily. Don't forget, Labour don't need a 1 for 1 match with the Conservatives in the vote to equal number of seats. For example, a final vote of, say, Cons 39% and Labour 33% gives each party the same number of seats.

We may well want Hannan's policies but we need to keep quiet about it until in power. It would be such a waste to lose yet another GE having been given such a fantastic opportunity.

Edited by a+b+c+d

HOLA4411
Powell was not only known for his immigration views.

Remind us, Spoony, of which actions by Powell makes Britain today a different - and, preferable, better - place than it would otherwise be.

Without holding the reins of power, you can achieve nothing in politics. If you can't get yourself picked for the first team, you can't score memorable and effective goals. Shouting from the touchline may give pleasure but it doesn't change anything.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest sillybear2

Powell also knew full well what happens when governments started printing money, taking on huge debts and messing about with the money supply. He was fully aware of what became of the Roman empire after the likes of Diocletian debased their coin.

Edited by sillybear2