House Price Crash Forum

Daniel Hannan Jumps The Shark

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...och-Powell.html

Daniel Hannan, the Conservative MEP who embarrassed David Cameron by attacking the National Health Service, has praised Enoch Powell, the former Cabinet minister who became notorious for his views on immigration.

Cant have an MP who speaks his mind, sack him before he causes more embarrassment.

Edited by fossildog

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
+1. Powell's legacy is probably the most divisive aspect of recent Conservative history.

Mmmm, divided between those in Enoch's camp who were right and those who were wrong, IMO. For example, Ben Kinsella's blood ran in the streets last year - but to state that fact is "racist" of course.

I'm an enormous admirer of Powell, those not aware should read a little about his incredible rise from next to nothing based solely upon his hard work, intellect & conviction, a hugely impressive man. Enters the Army in WWII as a Private, ends it a Brigadier, quite extraordinary.

I was at his Warwick grave just last week. Which doesn't mean I dislike people whose skin isn't the same shade as mine. But it does perhaps mean I wish I still loved my country.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
+1. Powell's legacy is probably the most divisive aspect of recent Conservative history. Not what you want to bring up in the approach to a make-or-break general election.

No lets not tell the truth to the sheeple again. Deceive them until after the election, then they can see how we truly think. Do you still have to resort to this kind of thinking. Is not a seventeen per lead in the polls enough?

HOLA4411

Hannan can say something perfectly reasonable, whether a reasoned and argued opinion about Brown or the NHS or now Enoch Powell, his head above the parapet he his a target and will meet the shrill of outrage.

I think in a period of very dull, safe and subservient politics, he is a breath of fresh air, and probably more in tune with a lot more people than the current crop of politicians.

Politics should actually be a little risky and dangerous; have conviction and the possibility of debate.

Edit: grammar

Edited by tinker

HOLA4412
Hannan can say something perfectly reasonable, whether a reasoned and argued opinion about Brown. or the NHS or now Enoch Powell. His head above the parapet he his a target and will meet the shrill of outrage.

I think in a period of very dull, safe and subservient politics, he is a breath of fresh air, and probably more in tune with a lot more people than the current crop of politicians.

Politics should actually be a little risky and dangerous; have conviction and the possibility of debate.

+1

Hannan for PM.

HOLA4413
I think he should join these

http://lpuk.org/

I would agree! He seems to have much more in common with the Libertarians than the Conservatives. Maybe if/when the Conservatives kick him out, he will go looking for a new, more suitable, home? IMO, the Conservatives should listen to what the man is saying though - he makes much more sense than the "yes men" on the front bench!

In response to the other poster - UKIP? I don't think they are particularly representative of his views, apart from the fact that they are anti-EU.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Hannan can say something perfectly reasonable, whether a reasoned and argued opinion about Brown. or the NHS or now Enoch Powell. His head above the parapet he his a target and will meet the shrill of outrage.

+1!!

The procession of grovelling career politicians, all aiming for the middle ground bores me no end. Why should I vote for people who have so little conviction in their politics, that they will play it tediously safe? Is it any wonder that apathy is rife, when there is nothing of substance to actually inspire people to vote!?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Wow, he's a racist. He would've thunk it? I thought his ultra-right wing bashing of the poor and unpriviledged was entirely innocent :rolleyes:

Racist? This sort of accusation is not at all fair.

Need I point out the chap on his left?

Edited by Traktion

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest The Relaxation Suite
Mmmm, divided between those in Enoch's camp who were right and those who were wrong, IMO. For example, Ben Kinsella's blood ran in the streets last year - but to state that fact is "racist" of course.

I'm an enormous admirer of Powell, those not aware should read a little about his incredible rise from next to nothing based solely upon his hard work, intellect & conviction, a hugely impressive man. Enters the Army in WWII as a Private, ends it a Brigadier, quite extraordinary.

I was at his Warwick grave just last week. Which doesn't mean I dislike people whose skin isn't the same shade as mine. But it does perhaps mean I wish I still loved my country.

Powell was an intelligent man who spent a lifetime serving his country and he contributed a great deal. Sadly, the Left used one line in a speech to totally destroy him, his reputation, and rub out all his hard work. But that's politics. As for Hannan, he should know better than this - unless he thinks he is big enough to repackage the Enoch Powell meme and survive. Which he isn't.

HOLA4424
No lets not tell the truth to the sheeple again. Deceive them until after the election, then they can see how we truly think. Do you still have to resort to this kind of thinking. Is not a seventeen per lead in the polls enough?

The sheeple are easily scared, and most of them know too little about political history to know that 99.99% of what Powell said was somewhere between common sense and visionary. The left have won that particular PR battle, and his name in the public mind is primarily, if not exclusively associated with racial hatred and the phrase 'rivers of blood'. If you want to fight the battle to rehabilitate him fine, but fighting it alongside an election campaign will just be playing into NuLab's hands. By all means present some of his ideas in an election campaign - just don't put his name next to them. Not yet.

HOLA4425