House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

Britain's Stay-at-home Sons - 29 Per Cent Of Men Aged Between 20 And 34

How surreal!

Me the Nazi masquerading as a leftie prat.....you the soft and fluffy gentle creature trapped in your tough, rough, shiny metal cage....It could have worked out so differently!

Guest absolutezero
Me the Nazi masquerading as a leftie prat.....you the soft and fluffy gentle creature trapped in your tough, rough, shiny metal cage....It could have worked out so differently!

I'm scared....

Guest absolutezero
And a banker with 10 Buy to lets too....well done! ;)

I'm off to bed to dream about that sexy mofo in your avatar. Night night. ;)

I was doing the best paid job I have ever had and with the least responsibility I had had for a while (as a waiter bizarrely..its all about the tips ;) ....£30k+ for carrying plates!!!!!)

Please tell me if you think people who gave you big tip got some satisfaction from it. Maybe from those around them seeing them being the generous big spender. Did you have to make a show of being impressed by their generosity?

The reason i ask is because as a student i delivered pizza by moped for a while around Kentish Town in london. Sometimes i would arrive covered in snow at houses where i could see grand pianos through the windows and got nothing. I always suspected that the same tight fisted git may well be the same sort who'd tip big someone arriving with a fake french accent all the way from the kitchen to his table in a soho restaurant.

Worth mentioning that i always got the best tips from the lowest rent houses.

20 TO 34 is a big age range. You would expect many 20 year olds to still live at home as many will be students or in low paid jobs - doing the same thing at age 34 is a bit different.

So this stat is meaningless. If it was 29% of 30-34 year olds that would be news.

20 TO 34 is a big age range. You would expect many 20 year olds to still live at home as many will be students or in low paid jobs - doing the same thing at age 34 is a bit different.

So this stat is meaningless. If it was 29% of 30-34 year olds that would be news.

Please tell me if you think people who gave you big tip got some satisfaction from it. Maybe from those around them seeing them being the generous big spender. Did you have to make a show of being impressed by their generosity?

The reason i ask is because as a student i delivered pizza by moped for a while around Kentish Town in london. Sometimes i would arrive covered in snow at houses where i could see grand pianos through the windows and got nothing. I always suspected that the same tight fisted git may well be the same sort who'd tip big someone arriving with a fake french accent all the way from the kitchen to his table in a soho restaurant.

Worth mentioning that i always got the best tips from the lowest rent houses.

I would get around 15K pa before tax ;) in tips. It was a posh restaurant / boutique hotel and the owner didn't want the hassle / paper trail of sorting out the tips. Waiting staff used to keep all of their own tips.

It was a fairly top end / aspirational place.....lots of BMWs / Mercs / Mewed 4x4s in the carpark. Lots of ladies who lunch, property developers and their permatanned orange wives / girlfriends / mistresses! (THis was in 2004/2005). The clientelle was fairly top end (in their own opinion) but I tried to always treat them just the same whoever.

It's not in the same league as rich arabs dropping bundles of £50 notes in the Dorchester, but one of my best nights for tips was a group of well to do pikeys...ran a fun fair. We walked out at the end of a late night with £150 in tips on top of our wages. When looking after people who always pay in cash, just keep smiling, be genuine and help them to get really pissed!!!

In general I would say that the worst tippers are groups of ladies, old people, civil servants and posh old money types.

A group of female teachers....aaarrrggghhhh!

It's fantastic.

I live at home (doesn't everyone?) and I'm 29.

Saves me a fortune and have a nice, sizable deposit saved up. :)

I get on with my parents but they're old. They'll not be around forever. :( I might as well get to know them before they're gone.

I come and go as I please.

Where are the problems?

You could rent a half room shoebox for £600pcm, + council tax, + bills.... Around £10k pa plus AFTER TAX..... :angry: :rolleyes:

Edited by eric pebble

You could rent a half room shoebox for �600pcm, + council tax, + bills.... Around �10k pa plus AFTER TAX..... :angry: :rolleyes:

Why line the pockets of a BTL scumbag when you have understanding parents?

These are unusual times, fair play to anyone staying at home and banking thousands a month in savings.

The game is rigged against us, you have to fight back any way you can.

Also let's not forget that many 'parents' are divorced.

Living with 'parents' is awkward unless there's plenty of spare room in the house and you can have your own little annexed area, but mum/daughter or father/son living together seems to work out fairly well.

All the 'loser' & 'basement dweller' comments show why HPI is an inherently british/american problem. 'Love hotels' are common throughout asia as many young people live with their parents until they get married. There's no attached stigma to taking your girlfriend/boyfriend to a hotel.

As everyone is obsessed with Japan as a model for falling property prices, it's common there, too. The term used is パラサイトシングル (if that didn't work, that was japanese, 'parasite singles')

I moved back in with parents after coming back from uni with a plan of staying no more than 2 years. Just enough time to save a deposit I thought. After 3 years I've managed to save 30K. There is no way in hell I would have managed this if I rented my own place. Suppose I'm lucky that I get on with my parents really well. I got the biggest room in the house and its respected as my space. Storage is going a bit critical now though. Running of space. I know I'll have to go in the next year, but it’s been good whilst it’s lasted. I've no complaints.

Can 't believe the parents charge them nothing when they're earning.

Was I mean to charge my two £50-60 a week when they were living at home after graduating, and earning reasonable money?

For food and all bills, not to mention Mum's taxi service?

Still pretty peanutty compared to what they'd have had to pay in a flatshare.

But we did like having them at home, despite phones going non-stop, often landline and mobile at once. Can't say I miss that bit.

Haven't cleared their rooms out years later, though, and won't - still piles of their stuff in there. As far as we're concerned it's still their home.

Can 't believe the parents charge them nothing when they're earning.

Was I mean to charge my two £50-60 a week when they were living at home after graduating, and earning reasonable money?

For food and all bills, not to mention Mum's taxi service?

Still pretty peanutty compared to what they'd have had to pay in a flatshare.

That's very english of you actually. I've had this conversation with spanish and arab friends (bit random sample but anyway) they find the idea of parents charging their children money to live in their house incredible.

Incidentally the arab parents rather than putting money into a pension invest in their children's education (saving the the children borrowing the same money for more interest through the bank) in the knowledge that their children WILL be looking after them anyway. My parents wouldn't trust that i would look after them which i think (hope) is more a reflection of the norm here than me, so they feel they must be 100% financially independent. We're getting things wrong on many levels here :rolleyes:

I pay £300 per month. Covers the cost of me easy and a wee bit on top. Mum has an extra room and it means I can be the responsible adult :lol: - if she goes out. It all depends on the situation. My situation menas it makes sense for all parties.

As for birds - go to their houses. Always the best plan too. You don't want some birds knowing where you live...

I also have enough money and freedom to do pretty much what I want, when I want.

Not quite sure how that equates to a loser situation. Sounds more like a winner to me. We are all different after all. I will one day perhaps buy a house. It certainly won't involve any form of debt. :P

That's very english of you actually.

It is very English

Asides from covering the expense like bills and such, why would anyone feel the need to charge their children to stay in their home? absurd

Especially if the goal is to save to buy their own place

I moved back in with parents after coming back from uni with a plan of staying no more than 2 years. Just enough time to save a deposit I thought. After 3 years I've managed to save 30K. There is no way in hell I would have managed this if I rented my own place. Suppose I'm lucky that I get on with my parents really well. I got the biggest room in the house and its respected as my space. Storage is going a bit critical now though. Running of space. I know I'll have to go in the next year, but it’s been good whilst it’s lasted. I've no complaints.

Hear hear - I'm 24 and still at home. Have almost £10k in the bank and paid off a nice car. New baby on the way at home so will have to move out, at which I'm gutted. One more year and I'd double my savings! Would have loved to stay for 2 more years - £30k in savings, maybe pay some of the student debt off and keep the rest. Absolutely loathe to move out and pay extortionate Edinburgh rents, but it has to be done. My savings will then probably drop to just a few hundred quid a month, and all because house prices are ridiculous. If normal, I could pay off a £100k mortgage in 10-15 years (long time, that...)

Of course he can't. Imagine saying to the bird yeah you can come back but only if you keep the squeals down.

A common gobshite insult this one

Intended to humiliate someone into "being a man!!", or in other words, attempting to shame someone into "please rent my house off me!!!"

It must hurt to see a potential tenant topping up their savings account to the tune of circa 2k per month whilst their pension stands empty

If getting laid was an issue, you'll be pleased to know I can stump up for the finest hotel in town what with the 10's of thousands of pounds in my bank account, or alternatively stay at my girlfriends house :rolleyes:

As it is, whilst the government and BTLSCUM continue to shaft me, I'll stop wasting my life renting, and instead continue to build a sizeable deposit so I can life my life like others born before me are able to life theirs

hat with the 10's of thousands of pounds in my bank account, or alternatively stay at my girlfriends house :rolleyes:

As it is, whilst the government and BTLSCUM continue to shaft me, I'll stop wasting my life renting, and instead continue to build a sizeable deposit so I can life my life like others born before me are able to life theirs

Agree 100%.