House Price Crash Forum

Help I'm In Croatia And Being Forcibly Deprived Of My Passport

jackpot06

HOLA441

Staying at a hotel inOrebic near Dubrovnik.Booked for 7 nights but need to curtail the 7 to 6 nights due to getting back to Venice for flight home.They have insisted I pay for all 7 nights even though hotel is fully booked and I have given 3 days notice of early departure -no travel agent involved -they have my credit card and have threatened to charge 'any sum they like 'even though -140 euros agreed per night -spoke with my credit card and they say it's a police matter as it's theft against my credit card -but I'm reluctant to involve them as it's such a 'jumpy place 'would not recommmend a visit here -now they are saying they will get the police against me unless I pay all they say and will withold my passport until I pay -help please -sue Ps hotel owner is a nut job who shouts walks away and behaves very oddly

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Two words.

British embassy.

Those are very good words, but they probably won't give a monkies.

Get back over here and then phone the Daily Mail to do a hate piece about the hotel as the manager has threatened to steal from you, refused to give you your passport or credit card and intimidated you.

Take it up with the CC company aswell.

In the future never, ever hand over your passport to anyone (except for the appropriate authorities ofc)

HOLA449

Hmmm I leave for Croatia on Sunday. I certainly won't be handing my passport to anyone though..

Pay up, get back and if 140 euro is the worst of the worries count your lucky stars, then shop them to any 'holiday from hell' shows that'll take it.

HOLA4410
Guest absolutezero
Those are very good words, but they probably won't give a monkies.

Get back over here and then phone the Daily Mail to do a hate piece about the hotel as the manager has threatened to steal from you, refused to give you your passport or credit card and intimidated you.

Take it up with the CC company aswell.

In the future never, ever hand over your passport to anyone (except for the appropriate authorities ofc)

The embassy will be bothered but only because a British passport has been seized.

I imagine their advice would be to pay the bill though.

I imagine the OP has entered into a contract for 7 nights.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Thankyou everyone-really grateful.It was foolhardy in hindsight to hand over the passports.we thought we were meant to ,as I said they are now being deliberately withheld along with threats of the police etc .I plan to pay the euros demanded even though I have been given no clear cancellation policy and have been fair with the manager and given plenty of notice etc .what worries me us that after paying up the euros he will find some kind if reason to continue to withold

the passports -he is very trigger happy and unpredicable -he has been arbitrary and random in his responses and threatened to 'up ' the price from 140 to 191 per night for no reason -says I must apologise for calling his country 'rubbish ' when I didn't say anything of the kind .he is frightening and unstable .

HOLA4413

Croatia is not in the EU and visitors here will see and feel the difference having left the EU if they are travelling via Italy or Slovenia -we travelled here by train fro

Ljubljana (EU) and paid 43 euros each (quite cheap ) to travel to Split via Zagreb by train (awful journey).

But all kinds of hassles even on the train ,you leave EU in Slovenia at Bodovar that's when armed guards enter the train checking all passports (twice ) took over 45 mins /whole experience quite a shock after Slovenia .then they were reluctant to accept our train tickets ad they were bought in Slovenia.

Then made us pay a huge supplement just to travel anyway then threatened to throw us off the train if we didn't pay .it's not very tourist friendly here !

HOLA4414

I've been 11 times and never had any hassle.

Train guards are drunks though.

Hungarian workers generally..often drunk with drunk policeman friends with guns.

Croatian people are mostly really nice.

A few Neanderthal men though.

If you need some one to talk Croatian and explain things I can ask my wife.

PM me and I'll give you my number.

HOLA4415
Croatia is not in the EU and visitors here will see and feel the difference having left the EU if they are travelling via Italy or Slovenia -we travelled here by train fro

Ljubljana (EU) and paid 43 euros each (quite cheap ) to travel to Split via Zagreb by train (awful journey).

But all kinds of hassles even on the train ,you leave EU in Slovenia at Bodovar that's when armed guards enter the train checking all passports (twice ) took over 45 mins /whole experience quite a shock after Slovenia .then they were reluctant to accept our train tickets ad they were bought in Slovenia.

Then made us pay a huge supplement just to travel anyway then threatened to throw us off the train if we didn't pay .it's not very tourist friendly here !

Jesus that's nothing...

I read on here, that in the UK someone was eating in a restaurant and there were some people at a nearby table raising their voices and letting their kids run about.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest theboltonfury
I have had this before, and I did give them my passport. Its insurance for the hotel that you will at least give them some cash.

In my case I knew what were going to be charged and I stayed the full alotted time, so no problems.

In my experience this really only happens in backward (ish) countries, where they don't trust you foreigners to do a bunk! ;)

Isn't giving your CC enough? What do they need your passport for?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Go ape-shit mental, It's the only way to negotiate in Croatia.

Grab the nearest receptionist and hold a biro against her throat. Threaten a tracheostomy unless they give you your "fúcking money and passport back" (Optional accent on the ú)

Hope this works.

HOLA4423

Is your passport being kept in a safe or just behind a desk in a drawer or something? If its the latter wait until there is nobody about, take what is yours if you can and leg it.

I had to do something similar after a misadventure in Thailand, the alternative would have probably have involved a briefcase full of baht and endless back-handers. I had a few mates who got themselves into some very deep doo doo after finding themselves in hock to someone demanding cash off them for some supposed slight or imagined service rendered.

Just go, not worth the potential grief.

HOLA4424
Go ape-shit mental, It's the only way to negotiate in Croatia.

Grab the nearest receptionist and hold a biro against her throat. Threaten a tracheostomy unless they give you your "fúcking money and passport back" (Optional accent on the ú)

Hope this works.

You could always go and find the most treasured monument to the fallen dead and piss all over it. Goes down well in most of Eastern Europe... B)

HOLA4425

Archived