House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MOP

Second Wave Of Cuts Seems To Be Starting In Civil/structural Engineering

I spoke to a former work mate today and the company I used to work for (decent sized structural engineering firm) has just notified all staff of another wave of cuts in the next couple of months. Around 20% went last year and another 15-20% are going now with a decent pay cut for all staff.

He also spoke to a friend who works at another firm and they are about to do the same.

Anyone else seeing this?

Edited by MOP

I spoke to a former work mate today and the company I used to work for (decent sized structural engineering firm) has just notified all staff of another wave of cuts in the next couple of months. Around 20% went last year and another 15-20% are going now with a decent pay cut for all staff.

He also spoke to a friend who works at another firm and they are about to do the same.

Anyone else seeing this?

So what companies are those? I hear good news from the big construction companies (BBY, CLLN), and the much smaller company my neighbour works for seems fine.

2 friends who are engineers at different large companies both said that they'd got rid of all contractors with the implication being staff are next...

Consulting side sounds about right, although will vary firm to firm.

If you do lots of public sector work you will be ok for the moment, next couple years...........

Commercial market taking a kicking

Our firm lost 20% staff pre xmas and a pay cut in last last few weeks.

Its tough in the construction wold all right

Not good in the electronics world, but when is it ever? I've got the chance of something new but long-term I don't know how safe I'm going to be in engineering (never thought I'd hear myself saying that!).