House Price Crash Forum
bogbrush

Sustainable Demographics

Conscription for all boomers!

They can all go to a new theme park I created. Aquafannystan.

And all the males are dying as well! A planet full of Lezzers :lol:

Many people in my age group who work for a living do not have children and have little hope of ever doing so. :(

Isn't it likely that the only sustainable solution is going to be less life-extending health care?
How old are you? Are you healthy?

Isn't it likely that the only sustainable solution is going to be less life-extending health care?

I don't agree with the word "solution", I just think that's inevitable because it will be unaffordable. There are many cases now where drugs are denied by NHS trusts because they have limited effect in prolonging life or improving the quality of life.

All that will change is that the definition of "limited" will steadily expand with an ageing population.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Don't worry. Mother nature's probably got this one covered.

Yep.

Yes.

The good news is, that may not be as unpalatable as it seems. A hugely disproportionate amount of that healthcare goes on the last week or two of a dying patient's life, and is not for their benefit (they're just suffering, inasmuch as they can feel anything), but for the quacks and relatives to feel they've done everything they could.

I really hope that's long-gone before I reach that point in my life. And it frees up resources for people with at least a hope of recovering.

I was thinking this from the point of view that longer lives seems to produce too old a population, and if unrestrained, then too large a population. Longer lives with restraint on population leaves an even bigger burden on the next generation.

So I thought really the only proper result is plenty of breeding leading to a moderate-length life ending reasonably soon after retirement. Seems we could have that anyway, and without the huge burden of life-extending medicine.

It's not a matter of how healthy I am or how long I want to live (forever), but of economics.

I was thinking this from the point of view that longer lives seems to produce too old a population, and if unrestrained, then too large a population. Longer lives with restraint on population leaves an even bigger burden on the next generation.

So I thought really the only proper result is plenty of breeding leading to a moderate-length life ending reasonably soon after retirement. Seems we could have that anyway, and without the huge burden of life-extending medicine.

It's not a matter of how healthy I am or how long I want to live (forever), but of economics.

Aha, yes, the need to cull. Watch the US bio-weapons labs re: that, since they withdrew from treaties for international oversight. And watch for "mystery" diseases appearing from nowhere, ideally starting somewhere the 'merkins consider a threat but can't just bomb - e.g. China.

That's my dad dead then in a couple of weeks or months. I assume you mean getting rid of expensive dialysis machines?

And I'm sure that will be the situation for many on here who have ill relatives.

Perhaps having low cost health care system not driven by Dr's seeking higher and higher wages and drug companies pursing massive profits might aid the goal better?

That's my dad dead then in a couple of weeks or months. I assume you mean getting rid of expensive dialysis machines?

And I'm sure that will be the situation for many on here who have ill relatives.

Perhaps having low cost health care system not driven by Dr's seeking higher and higher wages and drug companies pursing massive profits might aid the goal better?

What have expensive machines got to do with anything? Things that machines can do aren't the problem.

Yeah, why not. After all anyone above the age of about 30 is past any usefulness anyway.

What was the film? Logan's Run? where anyone over the age of 30 was done away with.