House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
leicestersq

What Is The Average Wage In The Uk?

Someone previously put a link in to this government document about median wages.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/ashe1108.pdf

What I found disturbing were these figures.

Median wages, April 2008 - Public Sector £522, Private Sector £460??????

Wow, and I bet that doesnt include an amount for pension benefits either.

But what I would like to know, are the average wages in the UK? Clearly they must be a lot higher than this. Does anyone have any figures?

And boy oh boy, does something need to be done about the Public Sector. It is really out of control now.

How does your wage compare (BBC)

What's a typical person's weekly income in the UK? About £390 after tax and benefits, adjusted for household income*. That's for a two-adult household without children. How did I get the figure - it's the median average, which is a technical way of saying it's roughly the figure in the middle of all incomes.

The distribution is not a bell curve so you need to be very careful when talking about the average, but however you look at a lot of people are priced out of buying a house at current prices

WageDistribution.gif

post-11344-1251292609_thumb.png

Someone previously put a link in to this government document about median wages.

But what I would like to know, are the average wages in the UK? Clearly they must be a lot higher than this. Does anyone have any figures?

And boy oh boy, does something need to be done about the Public Sector. It is really out of control now.

urrr... median is an average measurement.

[PEDANT ON]

Which average do you want? Your post said median.

The average wage, per job or per individual (thus allowing for multiple jobs). As an average of those earning a wage, of those of working age, or of adults?

Or do you want the average income, (individual or household) which includes things such as child benefits, interest, pensions, earnings on investments and so on.

The ASHE is a reputable survey, often used for analysis of the low paid. Other surveys will give different figures, and some will be more appropriate for analysis of those earning larger amounts. If you wish to compare income and spending the EFS my be useful. If you want to examine how people administer their money with financial services the FRS (from GfK) may be useful. There are of course other sources as well.

Generally the average income should be considered in the context of other things the survey tries to measure. All give a different figure for average income because they were carried out in different ways.

[PEDANT OFF]

urrr... median is an average measurement.

Depends on your definition. I would class a median as more of a representative measurement than an average.

Anyway as for average wages. You also have to remember teh stats the ONS give only cover males who have been in full time employment for over a year. So anyone outwith that ? Not even considered for the stats.

I would hazard a guess the real 'average' UK wage is something like £18k.

well its certainly not the mean, which most would call the average.

Most people couldn't tell you what the different types of average were

mean is usually discounted in long-tail distributions such as wage earnings, as the relatively scarce high earners skew the average to be higher

i.e.

Person a - £100k

Persons b,c,d,e - 20k each

Persons f,g,h,i,j - 10k each

mean is 23k (even though only 1 person earns this or more)

median is 20k

modal is 10k

pick your average to suit your argument, but its obvious mean is the wayest out of the three when describing the average person

mean is usually discounted in long-tail distributions such as wage earnings, as the relatively scarce high earners skew the average to be higher

i.e.

Person a - £100k

median is 20k

modal is 10k

pick your average to suit your argument, but its obvious mean is the wayest out of the three when describing the average person

Thats why its very common to use the mean of the interquartile range. It chops out the high and low end anomalies.

Thats why its very common to use the mean of the interquartile range. It chops out the high and low end anomalies.

you could also chop out any doubt and just ask for the official Bloo Loo figure.

which is £24500 in 2009.

and thats for men.

£15000 for women.

Depends on your definition. I would class a median as more of a representative measurement than an average.

Anyway as for average wages. You also have to remember teh stats the ONS give only cover males who have been in full time employment for over a year. So anyone outwith that ? Not even considered for the stats.

I would hazard a guess the real 'average' UK wage is something like £18k.

Of the 3 measures of central tendency, the mode is usually the lowest (most common wage being the minimum wage), median the most representative of the 'normal' population, and the mean usually way higher than the median and in Britain a close to useless statistic. Historically 70% of the population earn less than the average (mean) wage, and it's probably closer to 80% now. The mean is highly skewed by all the rapacious thieves at the top end.

Edited by roadtoruin

I'd be interested to know what the median wage is for people under 25, I imagine it's closer to minimum wage than these statistics.

To be honest if I ever had to get a job in the UK it would be the easiest one I could find, night shift at a supermarket or something and then I'd just live at home paying minimal rent and only work for half the year so that I barely earn over the free tax allowance, my income will be tax free meaning my pay per hour would be closer to £7/ hour assuming I was on minimum wage or £8/ hour if i was on £6.50/ hour as a nightshift if you compared a taxable hourly rate to mine.

What would I do the other half of the year? I'd travel Asia with a budget of around £4,000 for 6 months giving me a very comfortable monthly budget.

I don't know why people work 40 hours/ week (50 including travel usually!) for most of the year in the 30-40 best years of their lives.

Why not just weight the average based upon the number of people who actually earn that amount?

well its certainly not the mean, which most would call the average.

Imagine you were in a room full of people, one of whom was Bill Gates. Mean wealth of all the people there would be pretty high, but probably higher than all but Bill.

The median would be 1000x more informative. Same applies to salaries.

"average" is so misleading a word that I wish it were never used. Mean and median are different but unambiguous.

I don't know why people work 40 hours/ week (50 including travel usually!)

You should try my job - 40hours/week and that's not full time (apparently). It's so nice to work in Britain.

i.e.

Person a - £100k

median is 20k

modal is 10k

Spot on. Assuming subsequent analysis is going to discuss the average person.

For example, since people with mortgages are a minority of households one could say that the median is obviously the wrong 'average' to use in a discussion on the subject.

The 'tail' may also be part of the reason for the OP's observation about public and private sector medain incomes.

Hypothesise that a minimum level of, say, education is required to gain work in the public sector and you cut off the bottom tail of the population. Hey presto the public sector median is higher. (Especially since the top tail that is the domain of the private sector has little effect on the median.)

There was a thread a few months back where MacTwattish was on about this, saying most people in the South East were on £50K + . I think it was Noel who posted the really useful links - national statistic sstuff broken down by age. Wish I could find it...

Which is 15K in my example *maths star*

or if you were lazy, added the three different averages up and divided by 3 (doodle's hack), you'd get 17k and a bit

Plus most average measures bite the dust beyond a single-humped distribution... that's why people like to see graphs of the data.

As I say, pick any reasonable-sounding number you like and you'll find a statistic to fit it; after all what is it they say about lies? :)

I'd be interested to know what the median wage is for people under 25, I imagine it's closer to minimum wage than these statistics.

To be honest if I ever had to get a job in the UK it would be the easiest one I could find, night shift at a supermarket or something and then I'd just live at home paying minimal rent and only work for half the year so that I barely earn over the free tax allowance, my income will be tax free meaning my pay per hour would be closer to £7/ hour assuming I was on minimum wage or £8/ hour if i was on £6.50/ hour as a nightshift if you compared a taxable hourly rate to mine.

What would I do the other half of the year? I'd travel Asia with a budget of around £4,000 for 6 months giving me a very comfortable monthly budget.

I don't know why people work 40 hours/ week (50 including travel usually!) for most of the year in the 30-40 best years of their lives.

Sweet. What happens when you get to 65? Come back to the UK and ponce off the state?

i.e.

Person a - £100k

median is 20k

modal is 10k

I agree with your figures but the last sentence only makes sense if you have in mind another definition of 'average person' which you can use to compare with the formally defined mean, modal and median.

No critcism intended, just an observation on how loosely we use the word 'average'. Didn't somebody in a children's book say something like 'when I use a word it means exactly what I want it to mean'?

Travel Asia for 6 months of the year? Every year? Couldn't imagine a worse way of life.

Get a job you enjoy (doesn't need to be great money, Bloo Loo's figure is just below what I'm earning), working with like minded people. Spend time building up real relationships with your family. Get a circle of friends that you trust and enjoy spending time with. Lastly, get out and do things you enjoy when your not working.

Works for me :D

So your whole strategy is based on the fact that you can live at home (I assume you mean your parents home?) and sponge off them while not spending a penny?

Funnily enough this is how I lived age 0-16. They gave me pocket money too - hurrah!

This *may* not work when you parents tell you to feck off out of their house and you have to pay for you own Housing, Gas, Electricty, Food, Council Tax, Clothes, Transport etc. (why did I give these capital letters? I don't know)

Well, I'm amazed no-one spotted the 'deliberate' error in my example

The median should of course have been 15k as, given an even-sized sample size of 10, the median would have been calculated as being halfway between the fifth and sixth-ordered items (e on 20k and f on 10k)

Is this tolerable? Is this the standard of thinking on here? Do you not feel shame? I vomit in your general direction. ;)

Travel Asia for 6 months of the year? Every year? Couldn't imagine a worse way of life.

Get a job you enjoy (doesn't need to be great money, Bloo Loo's figure is just below what I'm earning), working with like minded people. Spend time building up real relationships with your family. Get a circle of friends that you trust and enjoy spending time with. Lastly, get out and do things you enjoy when your not working.

Works for me :D

But we are all different. So whilst you may find this thought horrible, many other swill find it amazing. As for coming home at 65 and 'ponsing' off the state ? Well if you have worked in a shitty low paid job for half each year for 45 in a row ? I think you are more than entitled to come back and expect the state to give you a semi decent existence. Many people in this country get just that - and put ZERO work into it.

So your whole strategy is based on the fact that you can live at home (I assume you mean your parents home?) and sponge off them while not spending a penny?

Funnily enough this is how I lived age 0-16. They gave me pocket money too - hurrah!

This *may* not work when you parents tell you to feck off out of their house and you have to pay for you own Housing, Gas, Electricty, Food, Council Tax, Clothes, Transport etc. (why did I give these capital letters? I don't know)

And what if your parents are actually quite happy for you to stay at home ? Becuase your rent pays the bills, they have a spare room and they don't mind having you around ?

This very British attitude of 'You must move out ASAP' is one of the main reasons for the house price boom in the first place.