House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Air India Workers On Hunger Strike Over Pay Cuts

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6810337.ece

More than 20,000 employees of Air India, the cash-strapped state-owned airline, began a three-day hunger strike yesterday to protest against plans to cut their pay, union officials said.

The fast, which managers insisted would not affect services, comes after the national carrier, which posted a loss of at least £625 million last year, proposed to slash by 50 per cent the so-called productivity-linked incentives that it pays employees.

The bonus payments account for between a third and a half of the pay taken home by most Air India employees and cost the airline about £175 million last year.

The airline lost at least £625 million in the same period.

The company's problems are the latest in a string to hit the Indian aviation industry, which had grown at breakneck speed before the global economic slowdown and a slump in the number of middle-class fliers exposed a glut of excess capacity.

This month the Federation of Indian Airlines (FIA), a body that includes the country's largest private carriers, called off a proposed one-day strike that had threatened to cripple India's air network.

The FIA, which account for 80 per cent of domestic traffic, was demanding cuts to fuel taxes and airport charges.

India's airlines have trailed only America's in terms of the collective losses they have suffered in the wake of the credit crunch, partly because of the wrath they have incurred when trying to trim bloated workforces.

Last October, Jet Airways, India's largest private carrier, stunned the nation by dismissing 1,900 air hostesses after racking up huge losses and defaulting on its fuel bills.

The next day, after a public outcry and a threat from one extremist political party to prevent Jet's aircraft from landing in Mumbai, the airline made a stunning U-turn and took back all the laid-off staff.

"The employees are like family members to me," Naresh Goyal, the chairman of Jet, who claimed that he had been out of town and unaware of the decision to cull 15 per cent of his company's workforce, said.

"I was mentally disturbed when I saw tears in their eyes."

Experts warned that the incident would strengthen the hand of other workers.

Yet another unsustainable business model.

How much longer can they keep a lid on mass protest?

I can't afford to feed myself and my family if you cut my pay, so I shall voluntarily not feed myself to prove a point? :huh:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6810337.ece

Yet another unsustainable business model.

"More than 20,000 employees of Air India, the cash-strapped state-owned airline, began a three-day hunger strike yesterday to protest against plans to cut their pay, union officials said."

Last year http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7439894.stm

"An Indian court has ruled that state-owned airline Air India has the right to prevent its air hostesses from flying for being overweight."

The world has turned quite bizarre!!

p-o-p

I can't afford to feed myself and my family if you cut my pay, so I shall voluntarily not feed myself to prove a point? :huh:

So your saying they should have gone on a cake eating binge instead?

I'm eating cake until you pay me?

Air India and Indian Airlines are extremely rubbish airlines to travel on. I would put them on par with Aeroflot from Soviet Russia days. Indian democracy is British by birth but French by upbringing. The protest and revolt over things, which I believe British should learn and implement.

yet another unsustainable business model.

What exactly are they to protest about?

Give us more money so you lose money faster and go bankrupt quicker?

Perhaps they would have a leg to stand on if the company was profitable but if not, protest = closed company.

"An Indian court has ruled that state-owned airline Air India has the right to prevent its air hostesses from flying for being overweight."

The world has turned quite bizarre!!

Could argue it costs them more fuel so it is the green option to hire skinny people.

Aren't all business models unsustainable if the money supply chain dries up?

So the Indian govt should use QE to either bankroll the airline or have a travel subsidy scheme to alleviate the money supply problem?

Having just wrote that I was wondering if the govt already subsidises the price of oil for the airline?

Subsidised fuel weighs on India's budget

But surely that means the money supply model is flawed?

So your saying they should have gone on a cake eating binge instead?

I'm eating cake until you pay me?

If someone threatened to stab you, would you stab yourself and stick your fingers up at them?

If someone threatened to stab you, would you stab yourself and stick your fingers up at them?

Depends I might stab myself in the arm where as they would stab me in the heart or face?

Wouldn't you rather control where you got stabbed?

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
So the Indian govt should use QE to either bankroll the airline or have a travel subsidy scheme to alleviate the money supply problem?

Having just wrote that I was wondering if the govt already subsidises the price of oil for the airline?

Subsidised fuel weighs on India's budget

But surely that means the money supply model is flawed?

The money supply model is hierarchical, iniquitous and bloody stupid.

The whole Indian tiger economy is a bubble.

Rampant government and banking corruption meets unsustainable population growth and unrealistic expectations.

Depends I might stab myself in the arm where as they would stab me in the heart or face?

Wouldn't you rather control where you got stabbed?

Good point. <_<