House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Five Million Have Never Had A Job Under Labour - Raising Fears Of A 'shameless' Generation Of Benefit Addicts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...it-addicts.html

At least five million people of working age have not done a day's work since Labour came to power, research suggests.

The figure, to be highlighted by the Tories tomorrow, will fuel fears that the Government has cultivated a 'Shameless' generation dependent on the state.

An analysis of official data shows that three million in England and Wales had no job between 1996 and 2001, while a further two million had never had a job.

The latest official figures say unemployment has risen to 2.4million - its highest since 1995 - as the recession takes hold.

But there is growing evidence of a hidden army of Britons of working age who are not in jobs.

They include those stuck on incapacity benefit, lone parents and youngsters not in education or employment (NEETs).

In a keynote speech tomorrow, Tory work and pensions spokesman Theresa May will unveil research based on the census figures showing that millions have not held a job for years and are living long-term on benefits, like characters from the Channel 4 programme Shameless.

Of those classified as unemployed and able to work, 100,000 had never had a job. A further 140,000 who were classified unemployed had not worked since 1996.

But these figures did not include the millions who were not working, but not registered as unemployed.

Mrs May says that including these people, the figures show that five million have not had a job since Labour came to office. The latest relevant figures date from the 2001 census, and the Tories claim the picture is likely to have worsened.

Mrs May claims that Labour's failure to reform our welfare state during times of economic prosperity has had a huge social and economic cost.

God just imagine how bad this would look if we'd been through an economic boom?

Total unsustainable.

God just imagine how bad this would look if we'd been through an economic boom?

Total unsustainable.

It's part of Thatcher's legacy.

The problem is, once people are unemployed for long enough - perhaps 2-3 years for younger people - they can become practically unemployable, having got to the stage where even getting out of bed on time becomes a challenge. And, of course, people who have nothing to do apart from drink, smoke and watch TV often end up ill..

I think that there is a huge scope for ''make work' programs; with only mothers of pre-school children exempt. And people on these programs should be paid minimum wage, to avoid the danger of creating a slave labour force. I'm sure there are plenty of infrastructure, cleaning and whatever projects that could be found. Don't like it? No benefits or council housing. Building enough council housing that there was freedom for people to relocate to find jobs would be a major project as well..

You could go as far as requiring contraceptive implants for anyone having 2 kids on benefits.

People might complain about human rights in this.. but the evidence is that it would give people a better quality of life than hanging around doing nothing.

You could go as far as requiring contraceptive implants for anyone having 2 kids on benefits.

People might complain about human rights in this.. but the evidence is that it would give people a better quality of life than hanging around doing nothing.

The best contraceptive would be reigning in the benefits..

They can have all the kids they like, but I'll be damned if they think I should pay for them...

Forced contraception seems mental, but I'm inclined to agree. How else can we stop the Benefit-Bunnies breeding ?

It's part of Thatcher's legacy.

The problem is, once people are unemployed for long enough - perhaps 2-3 years for younger people - they can become practically unemployable, having got to the stage where even getting out of bed on time becomes a challenge. And, of course, people who have nothing to do apart from drink, smoke and watch TV often end up ill..

I think that there is a huge scope for ''make work' programs; with only mothers of pre-school children exempt. And people on these programs should be paid minimum wage, to avoid the danger of creating a slave labour force. I'm sure there are plenty of infrastructure, cleaning and whatever projects that could be found. Don't like it? No benefits or council housing. Building enough council housing that there was freedom for people to relocate to find jobs would be a major project as well..

Its always Thatchers fault - from ZanuLabour excuse book 101. If guilty -> blame Thatcher.

The fact that under Labour the job centre would recommend that you signed on for Incapacity just to get you off the unemployed register had nowt to do with it. Deluded idiot.

Edited by IMHAL

Its always Thatchers fault - from ZanuLabour excuse book 101. If guilty -> blame Thatcher.

The fact that under Labour the job centre would recommend that you signed on for Incapacity just to get you off the unemployed register had nowt to do with it. Deluded idiot.

The Zanu metaphor is an excelletn one, as a favourite of Mugabe and his ilk has been to blame the last lot. However, I think most rational people (ie those who are not members of a political party, especially Zanulabour) would agree that, once you've been in power for over a decade, anything and everything is now Your Fault.

I just love it when people trot out the old "Its all Thatchers fault line". Poor lass will still be getting blamed for this country's ills long after I've departed this world. And I hope to have a few decades left in me yet.

Its pathetic and lazy analysis. Its a shame Brown aint got the balls she had, he might be some use to this country then, instead of dragging it further and further down into the slums and just trying to blame it all on previous Governments. How long have Liebour been in power now? Too long to still be trying to pass the buck for theit absolute utter incompetance.

'A continuation of Thatcher's legacy', then.

The best contraceptive would be reigning in the benefits..

They can have all the kids they like, but I'll be damned if they think I should pay for them...

Forced contraception seems mental, but I'm inclined to agree. How else can we stop the Benefit-Bunnies breeding ?

I love the smell of Nazi-ism in the morning.

There are some really vile people on this site.

Calm down dear. It's just the Daily Mail.

At least five million people of working age have not done a day's work since Labour came to power, research suggests.

Note the use of the word 'suggests'.

A further 140,000 who were classified unemployed had not worked since 1996.

So that's actually 140,000 who have not done a day's work since Labour came to power. The rest is the Daily Mail's supposition. If I left school two months ago and have not yet found a paid job have I also not done a day's work since Labour came to power? If I have a sick relative that I care for full-time am I a benefit-scrounging waster? If I'm the wife of a merchant banker and choose to stay at home and shout at the nanny and the housekeeper am I a 'shameless' NEET? This country does have a problem with long-term unemployment but I doubt the Daily Mail will ever come up with sensible proposals to tackle the issue.

Vile in what way? I can't afford kids of my own, but my taxes seem to keep people who don't work in plenty of them. In fact, they seem to find it financially beneficial to keep having more. Thats what I call vile.

So that's actually 140,000 who have not done a day's work since Labour came to power. The rest is the Daily Mail's supposition. If I left school two months ago and have not yet found a paid job have I also not done a day's work since Labour came to power? If I have a sick relative that I care for full-time am I a benefit-scrounging waster? If I'm the wife of a merchant banker and choose to stay at home and shout at the nanny and the housekeeper am I a 'shameless' NEET? This country does have a problem with long-term unemployment but I doubt the Daily Mail will ever come up with sensible proposals to tackle the issue.

What do you expect? the DM is there just for people to build up anger by ramping on the most common stereotypes.

That said, I struggle to kick my GF out of bed and get her to go to work as she sees all her female friends around here knocked up with a couple of kids, not having to work and getting thousands off the government while she has to do 40 hours for 15k. and THAT is where Labour failed.

'A continuation of Thatcher's legacy', then.

Whatever - in fact you are right its all Maggies fault :blink:

Edited by IMHAL

The remark was off the cuff, and if it offended you I'm sorry.

To re-phrase my point, without fear of being labelled a Nazi, until there is incentive for people to take responsibility for their own lives then this situation will persist.

If looking around and wishing that people are more socially responsible makes me vile then I'm fine with that. I can assure you though, I'm not a Nazi.

Guest pioneer31

I've heard this kind of report from sources other than the Daily Mail

Well done though, for trotting out the old Daily Mail cliche.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I'm more concerned about the shameless QE addicts.

Guest pioneer31

Labelling, namecalling.

Aren't you late for school?

Long term unemployment has been shown repeatedly to cause poor physical and mental health, and lower life expectancy. Do you consider leaving a situation where many people end up in this situation a good thing?

A cumulative lifetime limit for benefit claims should be set - maybe 10 years maximum over your working life (obviously with exceptions for the genuinely ill and disabled).

National insurance should be what it claims to be and each person should have their own account that they can draw down from whenever they are unemployed - with no means testing for those with savings.

Once you've had your lot, that should be it, although the state should set up workfare to make any receipt of benefits past the 10 year period contingent upon turning up to do public works 5 days a week for 40 hours.

I also think that no additional benefits should be given to mothers after the first child. If they claim that they can't feed their children on this money, they should be allowed to attend local centres where cheap food is served on the premises.

Ultra liberals always baulk at the idea that people breed in order to secure benefits, thinking it ridiculous, but this only proves that they do not come from areas where this mentality prevails. People do have additional children in order to avoid work and to get extra benefits (which they often don't spend on said children). I know this because I grew up on a council estate - I would recommend it to anyone who wishes to fully understand the interlocking problems of benefit dependency, innate stupidity and parental failure.

I have to agree with that.

The Victorians were big on self-improvement and personal responsibility. We remember that, but forget that they also recognised a duty to be charitable, to improve the circumstances of the disadvataged and they also knew how easy it was to slip from prosperity and security into abject poverty.

Right now, a lot of people are finding out that bad times can be just around the corner, for them, not just others. I hope that they learn from it, I did.

As to continuing high unemployment, I blame 'me too' managerialism:

Employ migrants? Me too.

Outsource our enquiry centre? Me too.

Locate in the South-east? Me too.

Buy in rather than manufacture? Me too.

Lazy management rather than responsible management, not all lazy irresponsible workers.

I've heard this kind of report from sources other than the Daily Mail

Really? Got a link?

So that's actually 140,000 who have not done a day's work since Labour came to power. The rest is the Daily Mail's supposition. If I left school two months ago and have not yet found a paid job have I also not done a day's work since Labour came to power? If I have a sick relative that I care for full-time am I a benefit-scrounging waster? If I'm the wife of a merchant banker and choose to stay at home and shout at the nanny and the housekeeper am I a 'shameless' NEET? This country does have a problem with long-term unemployment but I doubt the Daily Mail will ever come up with sensible proposals to tackle the issue

Exactly

Long term unemployment has been shown repeatedly to cause poor physical and mental health, and lower life expectancy. Do you consider leaving a situation where many people end up in this situation a good thing?

So what you are saying is the Labour government is guilty of condeming 5 million people to poor physical health and a lower life expectancy.

Obviously this is not good - so - at a guess - your solution would be - give them jobs in the public sector - Yahay!