House Price Crash Forum
Injin

Crunch Time For Council Workers’ Golden Pensions

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/pen...icle6810021.ece

Millions of public sector workers will have their pensions slashed under plans to deal with a massive shortfall in the value of local government pension funds, The Times has learnt.

The move by ministers to strip council workers of their “gold-standard†final-salary pensions is likely to trigger widespread industrial action.

It comes as the gap between public and private sector pensions widens. Yesterday Royal Bank of Scotland became the latest company to reduce final-salary benefits to existing staff.

John Denham, the Communities Secretary, is drawing up a series of proposals to overhaul the pensions of two million council workers, covering short, medium and longer terms.

Senior staff could lose out on tens of thousands of pounds a year if the changes are applied across the board.

A senior local government official who has been briefed on some of the proposals said that doctors, nurses and teachers were likely to face similar changes as the public sector burden becomes unaffordable.

Local government pensions, which are ultimately guaranteed by the taxpayer, are funded by investments, but most others are paid for out of the public purse.

Sources say that the proposals include moving to a “career-average schemeâ€, a system already adopted for new recruits to the Civil Service.

Under a final-salary scheme, a council chief on £200,000 a year would get an annual pension of £132,000 after 40 years’ service. Under a career-average scheme this would be cut by tens of thousands of pounds a year, according to analysts. Even a social worker on a final salary of £20,000 could lose thousands.

Local authorities are already resisting government plans to force better-paid staff to make bigger contributions to help to bail out pension funds. Some experts say that when actuaries examine the funds next year they will find a shortfall of at least £60 billion.

The Department for Communities and Local Government said that it would ensure that council pensions were fair, solvent and affordable.

David Cameron has already said that he would scrap MPs’ generous pension benefits and hinted at wider cutbacks to public sector provision.

Given the levels of complete and utter denial of reality in the public sector, this is gong to cause all kinds of aggro.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/pen...icle6810021.ece

Given the levels of complete and utter denial of reality in the public sector, this is gong to cause all kinds of aggro.

Prepare not to have your taxes collected by me or anyone else if this spreads to HMRC. I mean it. I will certainly not accept any changes in policy to my Salary or Pension.

Edited by Mick Dundee

Prepare not to have your taxes collected by me or anyone else if this spreads to HMRC. I mean it. I will certainly not accept any changes in policy to my Salary or Pension.

I couldn't bear not to have my taxes collected.

Moving to an average salary scheme would certainly be better for the lower paid front line workers whose salary hardly changes much throughout their careers. The top echelon would be the big losers.

No one wants you.

Yeah take my pension why dont you, like you took all the private sector pussies pensions so the bankers

can still get their bonuses for ******ing us all over.

I dont mind living in old age poverty so long as I know bankers were not deprived of their bonuses.

You can have my pension but you will have to fight me for it.

All hell will break loose if they try and push this through- especially once the unions remind their members that the bank bail outs are at the root of it.

Interesting times ahead.

Yeah take my pension why dont you, like you took all the private sector pussies pensions so the bankers

I dont mind living in old age poverty so long as I know bankers were not deprived of their bonuses.

Fudge, you have to fight us for your pension.

It's not sat there waiting for you, it doesn't exist.

The only way to get it is if you can persuade the state to take from others, those others actually have something to take AND once the state has taken it they hand it on.

Be realistic, how likely do you think all that is?

:lol: Is that right? :lol:

And worse still, the diversity outreach may not be co ordinated !!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't think you've thought that one through mate.

Fudge, you have to fight us for your pension.

It's not sat there waiting for you, it doesn't exist.

The only way to get it is if you can persuade the state to take from others, those others actually have something to take AND once the state has taken it they hand it on.

Be realistic, how likely do you think all that is?

I will fight the Tory government and the police for the right to live out my old age in some sort of dignity.

While I am still fit and and able I will fight because when I am am old and frail I wont be able to.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't think you've thought that one through mate.

If taxes arnt collected. Them the Government cant borrow money, secured on them. Our countries credit rating will be that of Zimbabwe. Trust me, they will not f-ck with the tax man.

All Government spend at the moment is borrowed money against your future tax contributions (that what Injins says and I have no reason to disbelieve him/her.), so essentially a walk out by us, will cause a complete collaspe of the system, which they will not permit. Therefore my future is safe, at least for now.

I will fight the Tory government and the police for the right to live out my old age in some sort of dignity.

While I am still fit and and able I will fight because when I am am old and frail I wont be able to.

and I will right next to you fighting also.

The tory government doesn't have anything - no government does.

What it has is the ability to take from other people by force. You know that.

What you are asking for is the government to take from others to give to you.

Do you really think it's happening?

All hell will break loose if they try and push this through- especially once the unions remind their members that the bank bail outs are at the root of it.

Interesting times ahead.

I think the Times newspaper is just grabbing headlines. No official announcements.

If taxes arnt collected. Them the Government cant borrow money, secured on them. Our countries credit rating will be that of Zimbabwe. Trust me, they will not f-ck with the tax man.

The government can't borrow now - they ar eprinting money to keep going.

All Government spend at the moment is borrowed money against your future tax contributions (that what Injins says and I have no reason to disbelieve him/her.), so essentially a walk out by us, will cause a complete collaspe of the system, which they will not permit. Therefore my future is safe, at least for now.

Can I direct you to my "state failure" thread?

so essentially a walk out by us, will cause a complete collaspe of the system,

Would it not be more likely that you would just be replaced?

And in fighting for your right to a state sponsered pension you'll be consigning others to retirement of poverty. Its in the public sectors interest to cut down on their burden as otherwise they'll suffocate the last remaining productive parts of the economy under a mountain of paperwork and taxation.

The quicker the public sector see themselves as a part of the problem the better IMO.

Because nobody else could possibly replace you?

I think the Times newspaper is just grabbing headlines. No official announcements.

=======================================================

Obviously contributors here will be wetting themselves with excitement at this prospect.

But I think they are in for a real shock if they think front line public sector workers will just roll over in the face of attacks on conditions of service in the way private sector workers have done.

Especially when they are reminded by their union leadership that bank bail outs are at the root of it.

"You've lost your pensions so the bankers can keep their bonuses."

I can see the NUT campaign posters already!

As I said, interesting times ahead.

You can't see the hypocrisy of this?

And in fighting for your right to a state sponsered pension you'll be consigning others to retirement of poverty. Its in the public sectors interest to cut down on their burden as otherwise they'll suffocate the last remaining productive parts of the economy under a mountain of paperwork and taxation.

The quicker the public sector see themselves as a part of the problem the better IMO.

What people like you and injin dont understand is not everybody is taken in by this Capitalism ******.

They see through it, they see it for what it is. It is a system of exploitation and oppression.

And its no use trying to explain to us why what we want doesnt fit in with the Capitalist ideology, we dont give a ******.

I work my whole life, i will live out my old age in dignity. Not in poverty.

Not so people who are mainly twats can live a privileged live of luxury.

=======================================================

Obviously contributors here will be wetting themselves with excitement at this prospect.

But I think they are in for a real shock if they think front line public sector workers will just roll over in the face of attacks on conditions of service in the way private sector workers have done.

This is kind of embarrassing

The money to pay you would have come from the private sector - but they just 'rolled over' and have nothing left now