House Price Crash Forum

Dont Accept Rent Cuts!

war

HOLA441

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090818/tuk-t...ut-6323e80.html

Millions of housing association tenants are being asked to forego an expected rent reduction to help avoid a shortfall of new properties. Skip related content!!

A typical conversation:

Landlord: I am reducing your rent from 400 to 375 as we do not have enough tenants

Tenant: No way. Mr Brown has advised me to pay more. I will pay 425 next month.

:lol:

HOLA442
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090818/tuk-t...ut-6323e80.html

Millions of housing association tenants are being asked to forego an expected rent reduction to help avoid a shortfall of new properties. Skip related content!!

A typical conversation:

Landlord: I am reducing your rent from 400 to 375 as we do not have enough tenants

Tenant: No way. Mr Brown has advised me to pay more. I will pay 425 next month.

:lol:

Unbe******inglievable.

HOLA443
Unbe******inglievable.

Well I just got my rent down to £850 from £900 as I told the landlord the place is too small and I'm thinking of moving. I don't live in housing association accomodation though.

HOLA444

Yeah it's laughable.

HAs are quite happy to put rents up by 7 or 8% as they're done for the past few years....

Why do they need these rises? Perhaps because continual property price increases, perpetual debt and wage rises for their executive officers (often at 20% per year) are writen in to their business plans.

As a council tenant I accepted this years reduction in the rent rise from +7% to +3.1%. HA tenants had to pay the full wack this year. Hopefully next year they'll get a break too.

HOLA445

A rent reduction of 2% would go some way towards reversing the 13% increase we received this April. While I appreciate HA tennants pay less than the market rate there is a reason for this and a 13% increase is not easily budgeted for by everyone.

HOLA446
A rent reduction of 2% would go some way towards reversing the 13% increase we received this April. While I appreciate HA tennants pay less than the market rate there is a reason for this and a 13% increase is not easily budgeted for by everyone.

Yeah, HA rents are lower mainly because they are 'not for profit' organisations supposidly but private rents and HA rents have been getting closer and closer. 13% is unbelievable!

HOLA447
Yeah, HA rents are lower mainly because they are 'not for profit' organisations supposidly but private rents and HA rents have been getting closer and closer. 13% is unbelievable!

Well it will not be long now before HA rents are higher than private rents, judging by the figures. I'm glad I'm in a private rental, at least market forces are at work and I have not paid any rent increase in 3 years.