House Price Crash Forum
Injin

World Faces Hi-tech Crunch As China Eyes Ban On Rare Metal Exports

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment...al-exports.html

A draft report by China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology has called for a total ban on foreign shipments of terbium, dysprosium, yttrium, thulium, and lutetium. Other metals such as neodymium, europium, cerium, and lanthanum will be restricted to a combined export quota of 35,000 tonnes a year, far below global needs.

China mines over 95pc of the world’s rare earth minerals, mostly in Inner Mongolia. The move to hoard reserves is the clearest sign to date that the global struggle for diminishing resources is shifting into a new phase. Countries may find it hard to obtain key materials at any price.

Alistair Stephens, from Australia’s rare metals group Arafura, said his contacts in China had been shown a copy of the draft -- `Rare Earths Industry Devlopment Plan 2009-2015’. Any decision will be made by China’s State Council.

“This isn’t about the China holding the world to ransom. They are saying we need these resources to develop our own economy and achieve energy efficiency, so go find your own suppliesâ€, he said.

Mr Stephens said China had put global competitors out of business in the early 1990s by flooding the market, leading to the closure of the biggest US rare earth mine at Mountain Pass in California - now being revived by Molycorp Minerals.

New technologies have since increased the value and strategic importance of these metals, but it will take years for fresh supply to come on stream from deposits in Australia, North America, and South Africa. The rare earth family are hard to find, and harder to extract.

Mr Stephens said Arafura’s project in Western Australia produces terbium, which sells for $800,000 a tonne. It is a key ingredient in low-energy light-bulbs. China needs all the terbium it produces as the country switches wholesale from tungsten bulbs to the latest low-wattage bulbs that cut power costs by 40pc.

No replacement has been found for neodymium that enhances the power of magnets at high heat and is crucial for hard-disk drives, wind turbines, and the electric motors of hybrid cars. Each Toyota Prius uses 25 pounds of rare earth elements. Cerium and lanthanum are used in catalytic converters for diesel engines. Europium is used in lasers.

Blackberries, iPods, mobile phones, plams TVs, navigation systems, and air defence missiles all use a sprinkling of rare earth metals. They are used to filter viruses and bacteria from water, and cleaning up Sarin gas and VX nerve agents.

Arafura, Mountain Pass, and Lynas Corp in Australia, will be able to produce some 50,000 tonnes of rare earth metals by the mid-decade but that is not enough to meet surging world demand.

New uses are emerging all the time, and some promise quantum leaps in efficiency. The Tokyo Institute of Technology has made a breakthrough in superconductivity using rare earth metals that lower the friction on power lines and could slash electricity leakage.

The Japanese government has drawn up a “Strategy for Ensuring Stable Supplies of Rare Metalsâ€. It calls for `stockpiling’ and plans for “securing overseas resources’. The West has yet to stir.

...then war.

China needs all the terbium it produces as the country switches wholesale from tungsten bulbs to the latest low-wattage bulbs that cut power costs by 40pc.

They're welcome to them. I've stockpiled my own tungsten bulbs. :)

So, I'm ok Woo, at least until Mandelslime sends the lightbulb police round.

Edited by For no one

wheres the Dilithium?

You always find it on underdeveloped places with girls with big hooters. At least, that's been Jim Kirks experience so far.

Guest anorthosite
You always find it on underdeveloped places with girls with big hooters. At least, that's been Jim Kirks experience so far.

I believe you may be referring to "Elaan of Troyius":

P13_15_ET_FranceNuyen.jpg

Guest KingCharles1st

Well we walked into that one didn't we....

We deserve everything due to us- because of the ******wits that run this joint.

wheres the Dilithium?

"First Gold Acquires 2 Lithium Properties in Witham Braintree Belt

COLCHESTER ESSEX--(Aug. 19, 2009) - First Gold Exploration Inc. (TSX VENTURE:EFG)(FRANKFURT:F12)

- Lac Pivert Property yield 2.5% Li2O or 11,600 ppm of Li and 74 ppm of Beryllium (Be).

- Historical results on Pivert Property also yielded 40,800 ppm of Molybdenum (4.08% Mo).

- Previous regional work identified regional occurrences of 1300 ppm of Rubidium (Rb).

First Gold Exploration Inc. is pleased to announce that it acquired today two Lithium Properties located in the Witham Braintree. These properties consist of 95 mineral exploration claims, some of which are still pending, representing approximately 20.3 square kilometers. Historical samples yielded up to 2.5% of Li2O. These results are historical in nature and should not be relied upon. First Gold expects to start surface work and prospective drilling as soon as the transaction is accepted by the Regulatory Authorities.

Article continues................."

Don't say that you weren't told.

p-o-p

"First Gold Acquires 2 Lithium Properties in Witham Braintree Belt

COLCHESTER ESSEX--(Aug. 19, 2009) - First Gold Exploration Inc. (TSX VENTURE:EFG)(FRANKFURT:F12)

- Lac Pivert Property yield 2.5% Li2O or 11,600 ppm of Li and 74 ppm of Beryllium (Be).

- Historical results on Pivert Property also yielded 40,800 ppm of Molybdenum (4.08% Mo).

- Previous regional work identified regional occurrences of 1300 ppm of Rubidium (Rb).

First Gold Exploration Inc. is pleased to announce that it acquired today two Lithium Properties located in the Witham Braintree. These properties consist of 95 mineral exploration claims, some of which are still pending, representing approximately 20.3 square kilometers. Historical samples yielded up to 2.5% of Li2O. These results are historical in nature and should not be relied upon. First Gold expects to start surface work and prospective drilling as soon as the transaction is accepted by the Regulatory Authorities.

Article continues................."

Don't say that you weren't told.

p-o-p

local boys make good.

I very much doubt china wants to do this to husband its resources. If this was the case china would also impose restrictions on rate of extraction, and on goods containing the rare earth metals. Is it going to do this... no chance...

China having dominated the market on rare earths, simply now sees a chance to shaft its trade partners again. Its a tried and tested technique, drive your competitors out of business with overly cheap goods, then when gone, jack up the price or in some other way use that to your advantage....

how the hell did this drop back to the bottom of page two?

don't people see the implications of this?

china moving a pawn out is far from irrelevant.

when we can see the game being played then it is time to be concerned.

Guest Steve Cook
how the hell did this drop back to the bottom of page two?

don't people see the implications of this?

china moving a pawn out is far from irrelevant.

when we can see the game being played then it is time to be concerned.

Yep

It's the beginning of the end game

Hopefully, this end game will be a decade or two in the playing

Or maybe not

They're welcome to them. I've stockpiled my own tungsten bulbs. :)

So, I'm ok Woo, at least until Mandelslime sends the lightbulb police round.

We're OK for tungsten...

'Mines could reopen as prices soar' [May 2008]:

http://www.miningtopnews.com/mines-could-r...rices-soar.html

Australian firm Wolf Minerals plans to restart production at Hemerdon tungsten and tin mine on the edge of Dartmoor and is increasing investment levels following encouraging test drilling results.

The firm hopes to create 500 jobs by restarting the open-cast mine near Plymouth and plans to keep mining tin and tungsten for 20 years.

Hemerdon is believed to be one of the world’s biggest reserves of tin and tungsten and Wolf expects to produce about 3,000 tonnes of tungsten and tin per year.

'Great future for South Crofty / Hemerdon bowls again' [June 2008]:

http://www.infomine.com/publications/docs/...IMJune2008a.pdf

The [Hemerdon] deposit represents one of the largest tungsten and tin resources in the western world. Wolf aims to update the feasibility study and move into mine production as soon as possible.

We operate on a 4-5 year electoral cycle. A Chinese man opens a market stall so his great grandson will own a supermarket chain - they make 200year plans. Now, who is responsible for the Opium Wars and Chinas humiliation? :ph34r:

We'll adapt and find other ways.

For example, hard drives will not require neodymium at all in about 5 or so years time.. by that point they'll all be solid-state instead.

Better buy that 1.5tb hdd next month before prices start shooting up.

Damn why do I feel I've been manipulated into spending money!!!

Debt is wealth.