House Price Crash Forum

Land Prices

hairy

HOLA441

Say it's 50 metres wide (frontage) and 40 metres deep (which is 131 feet).

Each plot is 10 metres wide - planners these days insist on a metre from the boundary - so each house will be 8 metres wide. A 5 bedder, to be of any useable size needs to be 1800 sq ft - which would mean the houses would need to be 33 feet deep - or about 10 metres.

Now that would have tiny rooms - bedrooms 11' x 10' at the most - for three of them, and two singles. Downstairs would be small lounge, dining/kitchen and a squeezed study.

What about parking? Most councils will insist on 3 off road parking spaces and many will insist on being able to turn around in front of the house. Those plots do not allow for garages.

Where I live - pleasant part of Berkshire - 5 bed shoe boxes like that would sell for about 400k tops - because the plots are simply too small. You'd do better with 4 bedders.

HOLA442

ame='live in hope' date='27 November 2009 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1259339880' post='2267632']

Assuming 1m gap between the 'detached houses', 1m from boundaries, the footprint of the houses would be 8.8m x 20m, giving a 10m long drive and 10m long garden. However, this is all hypothetical because it is bullsh1t, as proven by the lack of link to the bullsh1tting planning application.

I belive you now have to have at least 60sq mtr of aminity space,I am doing a appeal at present on a site of 165 sq mtr for a small bungalow of 50 sq mt and the LPA say this is overdevelopment.

HOLA443

WOW!

Have you discovered 'tardis' technology?

Got any plans?

5 x £500K+ houses on a plot 40m x 50m

That is pretty impressive.

[/

Surprisingly i did the very same thing myself a few years ago, but only one on site. Almost same size too. Got 2 5 beds, 2 3 beds, and 2 3 bed semis on front. And gardens are reasonable for this age. But the valuations seem ridiculous and if you can seel the site for 3800 plus i should do it. Theres a lot of hassle in doing the development yourself. also you may have to consider CGT if its not your own houses garden.

Sorry, I really don't mean to offend, but i can't answer because I don't understand your post.

I'm getting a bit old so you need to be clear and slow :)

HOLA444

Each plot is 10 metres wide - planners these days insist on a metre from the boundary - so each house will be 8 metres wide. A 5 bedder, to be of any useable size needs to be 1800 sq ft - which would mean the houses would need to be 33 feet deep - or about 10 metres.

Such amazing ********. I lived in a perfectly usable 4 bedroom house (with an extra study room that could just about have been a bedroom but not quite) that was 1200 sq foot over 3 floors. Let me try and find a floor plan.

HOLA445

Now that would have tiny rooms - bedrooms 11' x 10' at the most - for three of them, and two singles. Downstairs would be small lounge, dining/kitchen and a squeezed study.

What about parking? Most councils will insist on 3 off road parking spaces and many will insist on being able to turn around in front of the house. Those plots do not allow for garages.

Where I live - pleasant part of Berkshire - 5 bed shoe boxes like that would sell for about 400k tops - because the plots are simply too small. You'd do better with 4 bedders.

why are you assuming they are all in a straight line?

HOLA446

I have built 2 x 4 bed detached and 1 x 3 bed detached, separate 3 garage block, plot size 26m x 38m.

If the plot width for this was 50m, allowing 1m either side, set houses back 10m to allow for parking.

Each house 8m x 10m external - 7.4 x 9.4 internal - 2.5 floors = 174m GIA. Easy 5 bed. Back garden 10m x 20m - not big but OK.

I don't like Hairy's abusive posting style and he seems rather obsessed with erectile dysfunction (he does mention that he is aged 45), but I don't disbelieve him.

Its the valuations that dont ring true. With recent falls £550 buys a decent house. Not one on a tiny plot. £850 for existing is a better deal, and a lot can go wrong in the meantime if prices collapse more. He is a long way from the money, if at all. Depends where he is. Does he have outline planning or detailed for 5 beds. A lot of difference. Also he will pay CGT, and with rumours of that increasing he might wish to hurry.

HOLA447

Its the valuations that dont ring true. With recent falls £550 buys a decent house. Not one on a tiny plot. £850 for existing is a better deal, and a lot can go wrong in the meantime if prices collapse more. He is a long way from the money, if at all. Depends where he is. Does he have outline planning or detailed for 5 beds. A lot of difference. Also he will pay CGT, and with rumours of that increasing he might wish to hurry.

No need to worry about CGT this scheme only exists in Hairy Walter Mitty's head.

HOLA448
25 August 2009[/b] - 07:19 AM' timestamp='1251184780' post='2100054']

They came back yesterday and offered 40% of the value.

What this indicates, to me, is more confidence coming back to builders and, this bit is logical, the market. I am not saying this is a turning point, it could be a dead cat bounce, but I am taking their offer. I have no faith in this country anymore, so am selling up, moving out. Renting until sanity prevails and then I'll buy a plot of land out west.

As this was three months ago, I assume you have exchanged? Also, a link to the planning app or just the number would easily cast aside any doubt regarding your honesty in this matter.

HOLA449

As this was three months ago, I assume you have exchanged? Also, a link to the planning app or just the number would easily cast aside any doubt regarding your honesty in this matter.

Punter, I'll talk to you as you're no troll. I was discussing this with the architect 3 months ago as an exit strategy, we approached the planners, eventually, with 4* 5 bed at 2000 sq ft and 1 * 4 bed at 1600 sq ft. We were told planning wouldn't be an issue. If you are building houses, you will understand, that the major plus points at the moment are for density, hence 3 * large 5 beds would be less appealing than 5 * 5 beds on smaller plots. It was a plan that got as far as presenting plans to the council to see how they'd fair (positive). My wife, in the interim, has decided on the move to Devon, hence all the houses going on the market before next July.

Its just not worth it

I am, and have been, honest in this. The houses, as designed, were set back, slightly, from each other and, as I said, 2000 sq ft (1600 for the 4 bedroom). All now off the cards.

I am not going to feed the trolls. The current house is 'only' 95 sq m (just over 1000 sq ft) and is selling for £350k. It's not a massive stretch of the imagination to see 2000 sq ft going for a little bit more. I am no longer interested in speaking to half the twats on this site.

I'll not feed the trolls

Edited by hairy

HOLA4410

I have built 2 x 4 bed detached and 1 x 3 bed detached, separate 3 garage block, plot size 26m x 38m.

If the plot width for this was 50m, allowing 1m either side, set houses back 10m to allow for parking.

Each house 8m x 10m external - 7.4 x 9.4 internal - 2.5 floors = 174m GIA. Easy 5 bed. Back garden 10m x 20m - not big but OK.

I don't like Hairy's abusive posting style and he seems rather obsessed with erectile dysfunction (he does mention that he is aged 45), but I don't disbelieve him.

It's abbrasive and not to everyones taste, but jeez there are some w@nk€rs on this site and I do bite like an idiot at times...

Edited by hairy

HOLA4411

Punter, I'll talk to you as you're no troll. I was discussing this with the architect 3 months ago as an exit strategy, we approached the planners, eventually, with 4* 5 bed at 2000 sq ft and 1 * 4 bed at 1600 sq ft. We were told planning wouldn't be an issue. If you are building houses, you will understand, that the major plus points at the moment are for density, hence 3 * large 5 beds would be less appealing than 5 * 5 beds on smaller plots. It was a plan that got as far as presenting plans to the council to see how they'd fair (positive). My wife, in the interim, has decided on the move to Devon, hence all the houses going on the market before next July.

Its just not worth it

I am, and have been, honest in this. The houses, as designed, were set back, slightly, from each other and, as I said, 2000 sq ft (1600 for the 4 bedroom). All now off the cards.

I am not going to feed the trolls. The current house is 'only' 95 sq m (just over 1000 sq ft) and is selling for £350k. It's not a massive stretch of the imagination to see 2000 sq ft going for a little bit more. I am no longer interested in speaking to half the twats on this site.

I'll not feed the trolls

Not all of us. Some of us have been there and done it, so have experience ib what you are talking about. Some maybe not.

HOLA4412

I recently bought an existing house on a 2050m2 block. It has a 26m frontage and the existing house is positioned such that I can get a 9m wide driveway up the side allowing me to develop the land at the back. I am going for 5 2 bedder 115m2 single story units with common walls. The existing house will remain and I will jack that up and build under it doubling the floor plan.

I wont develop it for a few years and will just rent out the existing dwelling in the meantime.

Just intrested, how can you jack up a house, surely better demolish and build 2 new ones.

HOLA4413

I'm in oz and they are timber frames and clad houses supported on stumps. Simply disconnect all services, get jacks under it, jack it up, put some packers, keep going till you got the height. Set some steel columns then pours the new floor slab. Reconnect services. Its a great way of doubling you floor plan.

I have done it before in a house I used to live in which is now a rental and the house I live in now was done by the previous owner and he did a great job as downstairs has 3m ceiling height and I have better city views from upstairs.

But got to be expensive. A serious bit of kit required to do that without breaking it up.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

No its financially very viable and far cheaper than demolishing and starting again. There are many contractors that do this. I dont know if you know but it is quite common to pick up a house on a trailer and sell it to someone. It happens all the time there is a brokers yard here that has all these houses sitting there that you can buy and there are some real gems amongst them.

An opportunist would identify a vacant block and someone nearby that wants to sell their house but keep their land, they buy the house say 20k, transport say 10k, plonk it on vacant block and you are ahead.

See photos of house rasing here

http://www.wardshouseraising.com.au/

Bloody hell. Looks a bit precarious that house on little metal poles. But they obviously know whats what. i suppose it will be timber frame also in back garden. I had two thirds of an acre here. Knocked my house down and put 6 on the plot. It was a shame because i only extended it 7 years earlier. But it was worth it financially.

HOLA4416