House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mikhail Liebenstein

Wheelchairs For Sale In Halfords

Not having been into Halfords for many years, probably since I either had a BMX or my first car, I decided to go in to search for car cleaning products as I happened to be passing the big store they have in Guildford.

They still had the bikes and the "Pimp My Ride" motor accessories (I decided the under bumper flood lights would spoil the Audi :lol: )

But what amazed me most was when I first walked in, as they had lines of wheelchairs for sale. So this wasn't just one or two, but obviously a new large section to the store. I guess they are starting to cater for the new ageing population, but some how it didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the store and its Decals, Stereo and car illumination systems.

It would be interesting to see if this trend develops in other shops. Comfy slippers and tweed jackets in Gap, walking stick brasses in JJB sports etc.

Edited by mikelivingstone

this is what happens in a crippled economy.

needs more ramping.

clearly the NHS cant provide chairs as required, as people are entitled.

In the small shopping centre near me a couple of shops have closed down but the Mobility shop is thriving. Always got aging customers taking wheelchairs and motorised disabled vehicles out for a trial. I have also noticed a lot of second hand sales of these items in the window of the newsagents next door as well. Local councils also order many of the products for the social services department. I temped in the local council offices and was staggered at how much was spent.

Just wish that someone would modernise these items as they are all so institutional and horrible looking. If I were a product designer I would love to get in on this market as it is definitely a growing industry.

Just wish that someone would modernise these items as they are all so institutional and horrible looking. If I were a product designer I would love to get in on this market as it is definitely a growing industry.

Interesting thought. One problem could be that the target market itself is largely "institutional and horrible looking"! The ones that aren't are busy riding white horses on golden beaches for SAGA ads....

Well to change the shape of them would need some design input at product inception.

But I guess the Decals and Lighting Systems available in Halfords could easily be retrofitted.

Guest KingCharles1st

Slightly ironic that the UK is now marketing cheap OAP aids from China, for our after our ageing population, doncha think?

Why do think tesco bought dobbies? Its just following the money.

For their next trick it will be tesco value burials, flat pack casket, plastic flowers and a light brunch, all in a carry home box.

Not having been into Halfords for many years, probably since I either had a BMX or my first car, I decided to go in to search for car cleaning products as I happened to be passing the big store they have in Guildford.

They still had the bikes and the "Pimp My Ride" motor accessories (I decided the under bumper flood lights would spoil the Audi :lol: )

But what amazed me most was when I first walked in, as they had lines of wheelchairs for sale. So this wasn't just one or two, but obviously a new large section to the store. I guess they are starting to cater for the new ageing population, but some how it didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the store and its Decals, Stereo and car illumination systems.

It would be interesting to see if this trend develops in other shops. Comfy slippers and tweed jackets in Gap, walking stick brasses in JJB sports etc.

I was thinking this when I saw them inthe Argos catalogue last week.

I was thinking this when I saw them inthe Argos catalogue last week.

bugger for one of my clients....this market is going to the sheds...its going to decimate the margins in the trade, already hit by odd VAT rulings (the ruling that powered vehicles are not exempt from VAT on import as they could be used for purposes other than mobility for the disabled...golf carts for example)

clearly the NHS cant provide chairs as required, as people are entitled.

I thnk most of it is lazy fat gits who don't want to have to walk anywhere. The NHS provides. How many freecyclers do you see asking for neck braces (Not given out anymore on ground they stop you from using your neck which makes it worse) or crutches by people who've been told not to walk on their smashed leg.

The NHS is also appalling at picking up this sort of appliance after people have ceased to need them.

As a little anecdotal second Stannah's stair lifts go for next to nothing on Ebay..

http://*******.com/nyr3fe

The house I'm living in now had a Stannah for its original elderly occupant. The relatives had to more or less give it away

when she died.

I'm sure there is an opportunity there for someone, to buy them up, refurbish and re-install

There is also a selection of electic wheelchairs on ebay, and I know someone who picked one up cheap for a relative.

Also on Sunday I was on my push bike and was overtaken by an elderly gentleman ... whizzing along on his electric bike. I think Halfords should consider stocking those too or at least the motor/battery kits.

Slightly ironic that the UK is now marketing cheap OAP aids from China, for our after our ageing population, doncha think?

Not really. We are a grubby greedy nation of snobs and idiots willing to screw over whoever gets the way of us making a few quid and viewing that behaviour as something laudable. Morally bankrupt, guided only by the desire to buy more worthless crap so we can feel superior to our neighbours.

We are horrible. :)

Powered mobility rides are a boom industry but not to the disabled or elderly - rather the obese. I have noticed perfectly "healthy" looking but fat people (if you get my drift) hopping onto their mobility rides to get down to the chippy, paper shop etc. Once there they hop off and stride in, then home again - with no effort or precious calories expended. Plus, they get to force pedestrians into the gutter off pathways, and cars to veer around them on roadsides and roundabouts. The other major "benefit" is that it pays to look disabled in case the DWP fraud surveillance team is out with their cameras, looking for incapacity benefit fraudsters re-roofing their homes.

Lazy fat f**s. Is this the Britain the heroes of WW2 died for? Fat (but otherwise fully mobile) people on full benefits, riding around on scooters while eastern europeans do all the work to keep the county in services, vegetables and trades?

Powered mobility rides are a boom industry but not to the disabled or elderly - rather the obese. I have noticed perfectly "healthy" looking but fat people (if you get my drift) hopping onto their mobility rides to get down to the chippy, paper shop etc. Once there they hop off and stride in, then home again - with no effort or precious calories expended. Plus, they get to force pedestrians into the gutter off pathways, and cars to veer around them on roadsides and roundabouts. The other major "benefit" is that it pays to look disabled in case the DWP fraud surveillance team is out with their cameras, looking for incapacity benefit fraudsters re-roofing their homes.

Lazy fat f**s. Is this the Britain the heroes of WW2 died for? Fat (but otherwise fully mobile) people on full benefits, riding around on scooters while eastern europeans do all the work to keep the county in services, vegetables and trades?

I have noticed some morbidly obese people on these things lumbering off them to heave them selves in to the local fast food outlets, they are a good ruse at car boot sales too.

I am not saying everyone on them is not disabled but lets not forget some people get benefits for being too fat to work.

Also I really think people should have a highway code test on these damn things, they are lethal.

I thnk most of it is lazy fat gits who don't want to have to walk anywhere. The NHS provides. How many freecyclers do you see asking for neck braces (Not given out anymore on ground they stop you from using your neck which makes it worse) or crutches by people who've been told not to walk on their smashed leg.

The NHS is also appalling at picking up this sort of appliance after people have ceased to need them.

The NHS do not bother to collect these things, probably as the suppliers contracts constantly change.

Years ago when needing some dosh I worked on a nursing agency and used to get sent out to various care and nursing homes. Not being familiar with the lay out of the places I frequently opened cupboards full of disabled equipment and false legs, they give you a bit of a start as 3 am when you are looking for inco pads or similar.

Hmm. A couple of years ago I got exposed to a wheelchair: an ancient specimen made in the 19th century[*]. It was truly terrifying, not to mention hard work for my missus[*] who had to push it around!

I wonder if there's a hierarchy of wheelchairs, from things like that, through the basic-functional (standard-NHS) and perhaps deluxe, to the fashion-statement? Could be a niche for a shop that made much of its name flogging poor-quality bikes to sit unloved in a shed and support peoples prejudices about cycling being hard work.

As for getting places when you can't walk ... http://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2009/02/15/b...valid-carriage/

[*] This was in a Thespian context.

Ah yes, I can't wait!

If we're talking about the traditional wheelchair, with the hand rims on the wheels, in a way a lot of the technology is similar to that of bicycles, and so it would make sense to diversify out into these. The skills needed to repair and maintain wheelchairs must be pretty similar to cycles too.

made much of its name flogging poor-quality bikes
We've been satisfied with the mountain bikes we bought at Halfords - they might have been cheap, which means mainly that they are heavier than more expensive alloy framed ones, but they do the job. In fact I would say that bikes are the one thing that Halfords sell that do work properly.

I too have had the tyre pumps that don't pump, the circlip pliers that snap on the first circlip you undo, the magnetic L-plates that blow off in the wind at over 30 mph.... etc.........

Edited by blankster

Why do think tesco bought dobbies? Its just following the money.

For their next trick it will be tesco value burials, flat pack casket, plastic flowers and a light brunch, all in a carry home box.

Dont need an extra box - to really IKEA-ise it you should use the casket to hold all the other components at point of sale.

If we're talking about the traditional wheelchair, with the hand rims on the wheels, in a way a lot of the technology is similar to that of bicycles, and so it would make sense to diversify out into these. The skills needed to repair and maintain wheelchairs must be pretty similar to cycles too.

We've been satisfied with the mountain bikes we bought at Halfords - they might have been cheap, which means mainly that they are heavier than more expensive alloy framed ones, but they do the job. In fact I would say that bikes are the one thing that Halfords sell that do work properly.

I too have had the tyre pumps that don't pump, the circlip pliers that snap on the first circlip you undo, the magnetic L-plates that blow off in the wind at over 30 mph.... etc.........

I'm a bike buff, and it is a well known fact now in bike buff circles that Halfords sell some good bikes, many at very good prices. Boardman, Kona etc - these are sound bikes, sometimes excellent bikes. You wouldnt generally want to trust them to put it together or service it for you, but that's another matter.