House Price Crash Forum

It Takes 1000 Cctv Cameras To Solve 1 Crime

D.C.

HOLA441

millions more and all the images stored on a really big database...

Surely then we would all be safe from the terrorists that plague our nation?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8219022.stm

Only one crime was solved by each 1,000 CCTV cameras in London last year, a report into the city's surveillance network has claimed.

The internal police report found the million-plus cameras in London rarely help catch criminals.

In one month CCTV helped capture just eight out of 269 suspected robbers.

David Davis MP, the former shadow home secretary, said: "It should provoke a long overdue rethink on where the crime prevention budget is being spent."

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gifThe Metropolitan Police has been extraordinarily slow to act to deal with the ineffectiveness of CCTV end_quote_rb.gif

David Davis MP He added: "CCTV leads to massive expense and minimum effectiveness.

"It creates a huge intrusion on privacy, yet provides little or no improvement in security.

"The Metropolitan Police has been extraordinarily slow to act to deal with the ineffectiveness of CCTV."

Nationwide, the government has spent £500m on CCTV cameras.

But Det Sup Michael Michael McNally, who commissioned the report, conceded more needed to be done to make the most of the investment.

He said: "CCTV, we recognise, is a really important part of investigation and prevention of crime, so how we retrieve that from the individual CCTV pods is really quite important.

"There are some concerns, and that's why we have a number of projects on-going at the moment."

Among those projects is a pilot scheme by the Met to improve the way CCTV images are used.

A spokesman for the Met said: "We estimate more than 70% of murder investigations have been solved with the help of CCTV retrievals and most serious crime investigations have a CCTV investigation strategy."

Officers from 11 boroughs have formed a new unit which collects and labels footage centrally before distributing them across the force and media.

It has led to more than 1,000 identifications out of 5,260 images processed so far.

A Home Office spokeswoman said CCTVs "help communities feel safer".

HOLA442
HOLA443

It's a statistic that could be abused any way you like.

The other 999 detered crime so much that .... ?

Maybe what we need is another 1000 cameras, so that there'll only be one ... ?

Or to fall somewhere in between on a more practical and realistic level, cameras don't solve crime, should never be expected to. They are just cameras. They *help* deter it, and *help* solve it.

I understand peoples' problem with the DNA database, but I really don't understand anyone having a problem with CCTV cameras. They really can do you no harm if you're not up to something.

HOLA444
HOLA445
...but I really don't understand anyone having a problem with CCTV cameras. They really can do you no harm if you're not up to something.

Maybe some people feel uncomfortable being watched, despite not being "up to something". Seems an entirely understandable trait of human nature to me. If you have trouble understanding that, then you should probably give some serious consideration as to why.

HOLA446
HOLA447
That is interesting, I'm the polar opposite.

I have no problem with a dna database, I object more to CCTV.

The problem with both of them is that you're included whether or not you've committed a crime, and there's no opt-out.

I don't like that part.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
A Home Office spokeswoman said CCTVs "help communities feel safer".

I think jaqcui smiths husband feels very secure in the knowledge that all the little facets of his life that he would rather remain behind closed doors get a bit of airtime :lol::lol::lol:

Any friendly plods watching this forum care to disclose some footage of our high and mighty beyond-reproach leadership frequenting seedy massage parlours or something??!!!

I'm sure news of the world would pay a good rate for it :P

HOLA4411
Great so can I put some CCTV in your bedroom and toilet? Why not? You dont get 'up to anything' do you? DO YOU?

I believe the article was referring to CCTV cameras in public places, and thus that's what I was referring to.

There's a difference. For example if you said you support the idea of public toilets, I wouldn't take that to mean that I can shit in your garden.

Archived