House Price Crash Forum

25% Of Uk Will Still Vote Labour

HOLA441
I voted Labour in 97 because I was so heartily sick of the Conservative era. I suspect that many of the people voting Tory in 2010 won't be old enough to remember 1979-97, just as the new generation of Labour voters were accused of not remembering the winter of discontent in 1978.

that's why i think whatever improvements in the economic conditions and labour sticking the 'party of the nhs' badge on will make little difference to their fortunes. Too many i think are sick of the current labour era, which brown hasn't managed to shake off [seeing as he's a major part it was difficult to believe in the 'change' angle anyway].

I agree mostly with the theory of labour losing being based on voter dissatisfaciton with them, '97 did seem to catch a lot of people with a ridiculous euphoria surrounding 'new labour'. That type of delusion i don't believe we'll ever see again. People now know the differences between the major parties are minor in the first few years of the term of a new govt. And any govt. that loses heavily will try and be less dissimilar to the party which has won the electoral mandate....we saw that with cameron's tories not wanting to abolish things like the minimum wage and tax credits and revert the smoking ban.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Arguing the toss between voting labour or conservative, is as daft as gang members deciding if the merits of Reggie, outweigh those of Ronnie.

We all know that the tories are going to win, we also realise that it wouldn't matter if anybody else wins.

The value of spoiling our ballot papers, and encouraging people who wouldn't otherwise vote to do the same, is an argument that I feel would be effective.

The spoilt ballots get counted, it should not be viewed as a wasted vote but a positive vote.

There are thousands of the "non of the above" group, this act would stop them feeling isolated from others of a like mind, and just might encourage people to move politically.

It's also grass roots, no national organising committee, no raising funds, no internal power struggles, just us.

HOLA443

I probably won't vote Labour (I have in the past because *shock horror* our local Labour MP was actually really good) and I've voted Lib Dem before too.

I won't vote Conservative as I pretty much disagree with everything they have become to be associated with.

HOLA444
Arguing the toss between voting labour or conservative, is as daft as gang members deciding if the merits of Reggie, outweigh those of Ronnie.

We all know that the tories are going to win, we also realise that it wouldn't matter if anybody else wins.

The value of spoiling our ballot papers, and encouraging people who wouldn't otherwise vote to do the same, is an argument that I feel would be effective.

The spoilt ballots get counted, it should not be viewed as a wasted vote but a positive vote.

There are thousands of the "non of the above" group, this act would stop them feeling isolated from others of a like mind, and just might encourage people to move politically.

It's also grass roots, no national organising committee, no raising funds, no internal power struggles, just us.

If there is a party which represents you in some way, no matter how small it is, I would consider it more constructive than a spoilt ballot. Either way, the big parties will be given a message, but doubly so if they see the smaller parties making ground too.

Once you let go of having to make a strategic choice and just look for the party which is right for you, it opens up a lot of options. Having realised there is little between the top 2 or 3 parties, I don't care which of them wins - I just want to see more alternatives making some ground, announcing the dissatisfaction the population has with the current offerings.

HOLA445

Spoiling one's (numbered) ballot has the virtue of being less of a vote of confidence in the current, degenerate FPTP arrangement.

Any party that gets in through its operation will never rescind it, no matter what they say now.

If only for the best of reasons, such as trying to ensure that other, worse, groups don't seize power through being elected by an organised minority, the FPTP has to go. Everybody else is cajoled to dissipate their broadly similar opinions through the pursuit of a bijou, custom party which is tailored to their own interests, exclusively. "Because they're worth it". Boak.

But its beneficiaries will never be able to take the axe to their electoral wet-nurse.

In their eyes, it's the mandate of heaven. They don't give a toss about smaller parties gaining on them. Born to rule.

A refusal of the legitimacy of the available options might, if of sufficient size, cause a languid eye to be run over the vile plebs huddled below the battlements.

So it looks like I'll be clogging up the voting booth and wearing the pencil out, signwriting "FAIL" across all my "options*".

(*babysitter, or bramblepicker?)

HOLA446
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/au...ummer-fightback

So even if you leave a country bankrupt people will still vote for you.

You feel anger at first towards these people and then you feel a sadness for our society.

I meet very few who would admit to even considering voting labour but a "friend" of the girlfriend said she thought it was the best option :o Gordon saving us all and all that.

Yes she was public sector and yes she was well below average inteligence, and there you have it.

The people that you can fool all of the time are the idiots so simply labour voter=idiot it really is this simple. You may want to add VIs but you must be of low intelligence to believe it's in anyones interest to bugger the country so I go back to the simple equation LABOUR VOTER = IDIOT

Think about it. Who do you know that admits to being a likely Labour voter? See what I mean.

HOLA447
If there is a party which represents you in some way, no matter how small it is, I would consider it more constructive than a spoilt ballot. Either way, the big parties will be given a message, but doubly so if they see the smaller parties making ground too.

Once you let go of having to make a strategic choice and just look for the party which is right for you, it opens up a lot of options. Having realised there is little between the top 2 or 3 parties, I don't care which of them wins - I just want to see more alternatives making some ground, announcing the dissatisfaction the population has with the current offerings.

There has never been a British Prime Minister or government radical enough to change what needs changing right now.

The only hope is that Davy boy is playing some kind of "don't frighten the horses" game. Either that or he is so appalled by Gordon's mess he finds the day he gets into number 10, he has to rip up his previous plan and start from scratch.

We need a complete reappraisal of our society, the welfare state and our attitude to wealth creation to save us from bankrupcy and a decline in living standards greater than any in living memory.

In my view no current politician comes even close to being able to pull that off.

HOLA448
HOLA449
The worst thing that could happen is a Tory government.

A small Labour majority is probably the best. Sensible policies but the more radical of them can easily be tempered by the Lib Dems and Tories in opposition.

This guy teaches your kids.............

Be afraid be very afraid.

12 years that have ended in the mess we are in and knob jockies like this would like to see '........a small labour majority..' you couldn't make it up.

HOLA4410
I would love to. Unfortunately they claim to be the party of local govt, and yet would cede more power to the EU. If it werent for Europe id vote Libdem in a shot, but i find the position on europe prohibits me and a lot of people from voting for them.

+1

Plus they want to introduce local income tax. Which would almost inevitably turn into an excuse for taking more money off anyone who's got any for council empire-building and ever more non-jobs-worths.

Our local council is LD led and I can't wait to vote them out.

OTOH our MP is also LD and I have a good deal of of time for her.

She's opposed the council on at least one local issue that was important to a good many residents.

HOLA4411
This guy teaches your kids.............

Be afraid be very afraid.

12 years that have ended in the mess we are in and knob jockies like this would like to see '........a small labour majority..' you couldn't make it up.

:lol:

Well read some other stuff he comes out with and what is your concludsion?

LA#### ##TER = #DIO#

Fill in the blanks

HOLA4412

All those people who think Labour have a hope of victory next year (sooner maybe? November election anyone?) are kidding themselves, surely?

As it was back in 97, everybody knows it is time for a change. That along with a deep hatred of the unelected idiot will see a landslide. I don't actually think the tories are going to be able to do much with the country when they do get into power but they will at least slam on the brakes for a bit.

Also, My wife works in the public sector. I know numerous of her work colleagues and (where they have an opinion about such things) they are not Labour voters, in fact most of them are very vocal in their opposition to Brown and his band of losers.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
You are right, the Tories aren't in power. Had they been in power, they would have done nothing. Call it Labour spin if you like, but I bet you can't tell us what he would have done. Because not even he knows.

And please don't pretend that overpriced assets and an unbalanced economy is a function of a Labour Government and that if the Tories were in power there would be no recession. The truth is, there would have been a recession whoever was in power, but the Tory boys won't tell you the truth about that.

erm there are always periods of growth and periods of recession, that is the cyclical nature of the economic model in which we operate. From memory there is only one person who claimed to have abolished this and no other party has ever laid claim to being able to abolish this flaw in our economic system.

HOLA4415
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/au...ummer-fightback

So even if you leave a country bankrupt people will still vote for you.

I was surprised people voted for them the first time, confused why people voted for them the second time, shocked that people voted for the third time..... now I hear one in four would vote for them a fourth time..... thats proof if you needed it that Labours education policies have been a hopeless failure.

HOLA4416
*Spoiling one's (numbered) ballot has the virtue of being less of a **vote of confidence in the current, degenerate FPTP arrangement.

So it looks like I'll be clogging up the voting booth and wearing the pencil out, sign-writing "FAIL" across all my "options*".

* The paper you use for your vote is not marked. That is illegal. After all it is a secret ballot.

**Don't you mean a vote of no confidence in the system.

In fact you have helped me decide how I shall spoil my ballot paper, I am going to write "This is a vote of no confidence"

HOLA4417
Guest absolutezero
* The paper you use for your vote is not marked. That is illegal. After all it is a secret ballot.

**Don't you mean a vote of no confidence in the system.

In fact you have helped me decide how I shall spoil my ballot paper, I am going to write "This is a vote of no confidence"

You keep thinking that....

HOLA4418
You are right, the Tories aren't in power. Had they been in power, they would have done nothing. Call it Labour spin if you like, but I bet you can't tell us what he would have done. Because not even he knows.

And please don't pretend that overpriced assets and an unbalanced economy is a function of a Labour Government and that if the Tories were in power there would be no recession. The truth is, there would have been a recession whoever was in power, but the Tory boys won't tell you the truth about that.

how do recessions come about then, do they just magically appear cyclically? or perhaps there's a reason, like the central bank and the government manipulating credit

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
You keep thinking that....

Anybody who has been involved in election campaigns will tell you, me included, that it is a secret ballot.

As it doesn't make any difference who gets elected, why should "they" want to fiddle it anyway.

Anyway, who would "they" be.......shape shifting lizards?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I would vote Lib Dem if they weren't anti-nuclear and in favour of a local income tax. Neither of these policies are in my best interests or those of my family.

I can't vote Tory because the tories still stand for the sort of rampant capitalism I dislike. I also think the recent boom and inevitable bust would have been just the same under a Tory government. The current bunch of Tory MPs are (as others have said) distinctly underwhelming plus there is no charismatic leadership.

New Labour stand for excessive means testing, creeping state intervention into our private lives, political spin, ludicrously high government deficits and trapping people on benefits.

I think I am actually a left wing conservative.

The only alternative is to start a new grass roots political movement but I am afraid that with two pre-school children I simply don't have the time :P .

HOLA4424
I would vote Lib Dem if they weren't anti-nuclear and in favour of a local income tax. Neither of these policies are in my best interests or those of my family.

I can't vote Tory because the tories still stand for the sort of rampant capitalism I dislike. I also think the recent boom and inevitable bust would have been just the same under a Tory government. The current bunch of Tory MPs are (as others have said) distinctly underwhelming plus there is no charismatic leadership.

New Labour stand for excessive means testing, creeping state intervention into our private lives, political spin, ludicrously high government deficits and trapping people on benefits.

The only alternative is to start a new grass roots political movement but I am afraid that with two pre-school children I simply don't have the time :P .

they dont really stand for capitalism since they support things like the NHS and bank bailouts but keep thinking that, blinkered voter.

HOLA4425

We need a Compassionate Capitalism Party (CCP Party!) AKA "compatibalism".

Archived