House Price Crash Forum

Scotland To Be Destroyed By Hurricane Bill

Caribbean Beauty

HOLA441

Dear All

Even though we departed the Caribbean last year (suffered 2 very scary Hurricanes and a few bad storms in 6 years), I still cannot get out of the habit of monitoring the hurricane warnings even though we are now "safe" in the UK. Or so I thought....the remnants of Hurricane Bill are accelerating on a direct path to hit Scotland on Tuesday night into Wednesday, click here to see:

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane...g#stormProducts

Then you can see the dark blue centre of the low/depression by letting this load up here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/

A similar thing hit us down in the south of England in the great storm of 87. Now as then, leaves are still on trees so they are more vulnerable to wind.

Best to be safe and take down garden umbrellas, store garden furniture, strap down the caravan, bring in the cows/wife etc from the field, don't plan any hang gliding or hot air balloon rides for wednesday etc.

Above all else, DON'T PANIC, as the 25 soldiers of the British Army who are not avoiding loose patches of soil in the roads of the east will come rescue you from your levelled croft, as your face is being eaten off by your hungry sheep.

CB

HOLA442
Guest absolutezero
Dear All

Even though we departed the Caribbean last year (suffered 2 very scary Hurricanes and a few bad storms in 6 years), I still cannot get out of the habit of monitoring the hurricane warnings even though we are now "safe" in the UK. Or so I thought....the remnants of Hurricane Bill are accelerating on a direct path to hit Scotland on Tuesday night into Wednesday, click here to see:

Then you can see the dark blue centre of the low/depression by letting this load up here:

A similar thing hit us down in the south of England in the great storm of 87. Now as then, leaves are still on trees so they are more vulnerable to wind.

Best to be safe and take down garden umbrellas, store garden furniture, strap down the caravan, bring in the cows/wife etc from the field, don't plan any hang gliding or hot air balloon rides for wednesday etc.

Above all else, DON'T PANIC, as the 25 soldiers of the British Army who are not avoiding loose patches of soil in the roads of the east will come rescue you from your levelled croft, as your face is being eaten off by your hungry sheep.

CB

Or the forecast will be wrong and it'll go somewhere else or die a death in the middle of the Atlantic. :rolleyes:

HOLA443
Guest Parry aka GOD
Dear All

CB

Just made it out of Bermuda Thursday morning.

Pissed off, I wanted to experience a hurricane.

HOLA444
HOLA445
It's listed as a tropical storm though. Won't that just be a bit of drizzle by the time it gets all the way over here?

More than that - torrential rain and gale force winds at least. I would be interested to hear feedback from our Scottish contingent, assuming the CIA have not severed all internet links to you by then in a covert revenge mission.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest Skinty

Thanks for the heads up. We've just been having a whole series of low pressure systems come right over us because of that jet stream. Yesterday for example was awful up here even though in England it was apparently really nice. I haven't been up the hills for a month now. I was going to take a week's holiday the first week of September but I'm thinking that the last week would be better.

We have had storms on a par with the 87 one in England since then (which I experienced myself, unfortunately slept through it). 2005 comes to mind for example. But it doesn't really get reported much on the national news, maybe because we aren't as built up around here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4170621.stm

Weather extremes of 2005

HOLA448

It's just a conspiracy to ruin our Bank Holiday Wekend weather. Gordon will be pictured in front of fallen mighty English oak trees saying "It started in America!" (Sorry Gordon it was actually off West Africa, but why let the truth get in the way of a good denial)

Is the water of the gulf stream warm enough at this time of year for the storm to intensify and get really nasty, or are we in for a damp squib?

HOLA449
Guest Skinty
Is the water of the gulf stream warm enough at this time of year for the storm to intensify and get really nasty, or are we in for a damp squib?

The weather has been strange up here recently. It's gorgeous today, but take yesterday for example. I've been inside and it's felt like winter. Very gloomy, big showers of rain passing by, blustery. But when you get outside you find the air is actually quite surprisingly warm.

HOLA4410
The weather has been strange up here recently. It's gorgeous today, but take yesterday for example. I've been inside and it's felt like winter. Very gloomy, big showers of rain passing by, blustery. But when you get outside you find the air is actually quite surprisingly warm.

Odd! Maybe you left the fridge and freezer doors open?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

It always feels like winter in Scotland! It's a very beautiful wet fridge of a country, the invention of Gortex must have changed everyones lives there.

33C and sunny here today(again). :P

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest Skinty
Odd! Maybe you left the fridge and freezer doors open?

The house has stone walls. so it will stay cool inside when it is warm inside. But it's been really surprising just how warm the air has been sometimes when the weather is basically something typical of the depth of winter.

HOLA4418
Guest X-QUORK
The house has stone walls. so it will stay cool inside when it is warm inside. But it's been really surprising just how warm the air has been sometimes when the weather is basically something typical of the depth of winter.

Warm and wet?

Sorry, wrong thread.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Dear All

CB

Well at least it'll stop everyone talking about that Megrahi bloke.

HOLA4422
Guest anorthosite
Well at least it'll stop everyone talking about that Megrahi bloke.

The storm of '87 would be nothing in Scotland, no more than a goose farting in the fog.

Snow, wind, whatever. We cope with it.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived