House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

The Mandarins Are Cross

Lord Armstrong of Ilminster, cabinet secretary 1979-87, accused Blair of having a worse record in amassing personal power than Margaret Thatcher. "Some of those methods which he would have chosen conflicted with what I see as the fundamental position of the relationship between the prime minister and departmental ministers. Those frictions actually created bad relations among ministers and were setbacks to the efficient and proper conduct of government."

Good article. Thanks for posting, although some of the criticisms of NuLab have long been around. Lord Butler for example, in the Butler Report of 2004 damned the "sofa style government" of Bliar in the run-up to the Iraq Obscenity.

Guest KingCharles1st

"The danger I would want to avoid is the do-it-all prime minister."

Sounds about right...

Guest anorthosite
But Jonathan Powell, Blair's chief of staff, told the Lords committee that cabinet government "died a long time ago".

Powell wrote: "The cabinet is not the right body in which to attempt to make difficult decisions, it has too many members for a proper debate …

So they admit it. Labour don't like democracy.

Hissy Fits from senior mandarins!

Thatcher started this rot: BLiar merely accelerated it. Back to the old "Smoke Filled Rooms" of Tammany Hall.

Benn of course waxed lyrical in opposition to BLiar's power grab: so they threw him out of the NEC.

Perhaps the most critical aspect - as I have noted often here and elsewhere - are the rafts of special advisers, ostensibly called in, at taxpayer's expense and on obscenely bloated fees, to advise on such as economic issues: who are just in reality spin doctors. Thus Government has sequestrated power and uses public money for political ends.

I also note that in the Guardian's usual neo-liberal style, the electors are forgotten.

What a charade the so-called "Democracy" in this nation state has become!

The Mandarins of Whitehall are just miffed that someone else instead of them has been steering the ship of state and the old "Sir Humphrey" string pulling behind the scenes has been cut.

The Mandarins of Whitehall are just miffed that someone else instead of them has been steering the ship of state and the old "Sir Humphrey" string pulling behind the scenes has been cut.

Indeed. At least Sir Humphrey knew what he was doing. Perhaps the reason for our recent woes is that politicians have been trying to run the country.

Would you want a politician running the country? Hell, I wouldnt trust one to run a bath!