House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spring

Bt Axes Graduate Recruit Scheme

so much for the recovery, this is a blow to hard working graduates who after years of private education and university have the comfort of the dole to look forward to, well done Gordon Brown what was it you said no more boom and bust.

At least they're employing the ones they've already offered jobs to.

I think it was back in 2003 that Ford told a load of grads they'd offered jobs to, to piss off.

About time BT were forced to drop the "British" bit from their name.

http://chaisamosa.net/index.php/business-u...menu-id-386html

BT accused of 'importing' cheap IT consultants from India E-mail

on 04-06-2009 10:58

UK companies are using lax visa rules to bring in cheap offshore IT staff at the expense of local contractors, an investigation by the BBC's File on 4 programme has found.

In a practice that will be familiar to most people who have worked in an IT department in the UK, IT staff are brought over to the UK from a low-cost location - typically India or south-east Asia - to work locally in the UK for a period. It's known as "on site offshoring", and workers brought over in this way use something known as an intra-company visa.

This can be perfectly permissible - and indeed legitimate - under current rules, where the member of offshore staff has unique skills or specific company knowledge that cannot be found in the UK.

But according to the BBC, these rules are being bent to use offshore staff as a low-cost on-site alternative to local resources. A former contractor at BT Global Services claimed he was told by a BT manager that he was being displaced by an Indian contractor from an offshore supplier for cost reasons.

According to the BBC, the contractor was told: "We have to cut costs, you've got to go." He added that his rate had been £400 a day, while he was told by his line manager the offshore contractors cost £220 a day.

In response to the BBCs allegations, the offshore contractor, Tech Mahindra - a company part-owned by BT - told the programme: "Our operations in the UK comply with all the prevalent laws governing immigration and work visas. Employees are transferred to the UK if and only if their particular skills are needed to execute a client's projects."

As goes BT, so goes the country?

the sister of a friend of my daughter's has just finished her law degree (got a first), she has interviews at a solicitors for a job to start next year (it was supposed to be this year).

when will people start to realise that they are completely fudging the stats.

switchboard operatives didnt need a degree...just the ability to listen and read....something many potential recruits cant do.without a fag break every 10 minutes.....number please!

switchboard operatives didnt need a degree...just the ability to listen and read....something many potential recruits cant do.without a fag break every 10 minutes.....number please!

:rolleyes:

But its only 130 places! Hardly a dent in national employment.

I've never understood graudate schemes anyway. Why should non-grads (assuming relevent experience) or non-recent grads be excluded?

edit: corrected spelling

Edited by surfcat

About time BT were forced to drop the "British" bit from their name.

I agree. I work for them and honestly in our office you'd swear you were working in Bangalore! Day by day more of them appear. Our car park used to be overflowing - plenty of spaces now. All of them IT workers with skills not available in this country....(aparently!)

Disgraceful...

Regards,

crude.

I agree. I work for them and honestly in our office you'd swear you were working in Bangalore! Day by day more of them appear. Our car park used to be overflowing - plenty of spaces now. All of them IT workers with skills not available in this country....(aparently!)

Disgraceful...

Regards,

crude.

What happened to your "year off" offer?

What happened to your "year off" offer?

It was a load of blox. I applied for the part-time "offer". Turns out it only applied to people on the bench (ie, not working and not earning the company any money).

PR stunt really...

crude.

Edited by crudeFool

It was a load of blox. I applied for the part-time "offer". Turns out it only applied to people on the bench (ie, not working and not earning the company any money).

PR stunt really...

crude.

Never mind. Those people who took it will probably not have a job soon. Maybe you were lucky.

Never mind. Those people who took it will probably not have a job soon. Maybe you were lucky.

True - by definition I should be OK. We're talking about BT here - quasi state company. No-one will be made redundant. All the people who've been "let go" are either contractotrs or agency staff - a huge amount of them to be sure...

crude.

Talking about jam tomorrow...

In light of the recession, lack of money and credit and the non-permanence of the scrappage scheme, I was surprised to hear an announcement last week about Car Retailer Arnold Clark creating 700 new jobs by early next year 'buoyed by the scrappage scheme, the motor industry upturn continues'.

The Scottish firm will recruit for 500 new sales jobs, 120 apprentice places and 80 supporting roles by February as part of its expansion plans.

It said the jobs boost was partly down to the "stabilisation" of the car market due to the Government's cash-for-bangers scheme.

Sir Arnold Clark, chairman and chief executive, said: "With the global economy going through such a difficult period, our announcement today can only be seen as a positive step in helping to combat unemployment.

"The extra 700 jobs can partly be attributed to the stabilising of the car industry since the introduction of the Government's scrappage scheme in May."

Call me cynical but the first thought that occured to me after the :huh: was what connection do these people have with the Labour party.

But its only 130 places! Hardly a dent in national employment.

I've never understood graudate schemes anyway. Why should non-grads (assuming relevent experience) or non-recent grads be excluded?

edit: corrected spelling

i guess they need to keep the numbers of ppl they put thru the early selection process at a mangeable level. Easier to screen 4,500 recent graduates than 45,000 people.

Disgraceful...

Regards,

crude.

Logica was the same. When there's a choice between good and cheap, cheap always gets it.

However they often can't do high security work where FSA or government clearance is needed.

Their English could usually do with some work too. A lot of work.

Still that doesn't bother the people who don't have to work with them who made the decision for these 'experts' to come over here.