House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cashinmattress

Europe's Top Tourist Venues Hit By Economic Crisis

Europe's top tourist venues hit by economic crisis

PARIS — Empty terrace tables at Parisian cafes. Fewer sunbathers scattered along Italian and Spanish beaches: The global economic crisis has cast a dark cloud over Europe's top tourist destinations.

France, the world's tourism champion with 79.3 million visitors last year, has been hit hard by the drop in foreign travellers.

The number of international visitors in France has fallen by nearly one-third in the heat of summer -- July and August -- after sinking by 15.5 percent in the first five months of the year, government figures show.

Spain, which fell to third place among the world's favourite tourist destinations last year, has suffered a 10 percent drop in visits this summer following an 11.4 percent fall in the first half of the year.

And Italy's tourism industry is forecasting an 8.3 percent reduction in foreign visitors between May and October.

As frugal foreigners stay in their home countries, Europe's top tourist destinations are looking at their compatriots to compensate for the drop in visitors.

According to a Gallup poll, 48 percent of Europeans plan to spend their holidays in their own countries this year, compared to 43 percent in 2008.

Britons, the continent's top travellers next to Germans, have reduced their European trips by 10 percent amid a drop in the value of the pound.

As a result, the beaches of Spain, usually crowded with British and German tourists, are emptier than usual.

"It's the worst summer that I have ever seen. There's no one at the beach," said Pedro Hervas, who sells drinks in Torremolinos on southern Spain's Costa del Sol.

Spain already lost its spot as the world's second most visited country last year, as the United States took its place with 58 million visitors compared to 57.3 million for the European country.

The Spanish government has released one billion euros to support the country's tourism industry.

As in other European countries, tourists are drinking and eating less in Spain's usually bustling bars and restaurants.

The consumption of beer is expected to fall by 13.5 percent in August compared to last year, according to Spanish brewers.

Tourists are also doling out less cash in neighbouring Portugal and Greece, where spending by foreign visitors has dropped by 13.2 percent and 14.7 percent, respectively, in the first half of the year.

Tourists have been more frugal on Italian beaches too.

"People rent a parasol, but they bring sandwiches," said a spokesman for the union of Italian beach businesses.

There were 1.5 million fewer tourists on the beaches of Italy in June and July compared to last year.

Hit by a drop in demand, hotels have begun to cut their prices in Italy. In the second quarter, room rates fell by 8.3 percent on average, while three- and four-star hotels reduced their prices by nearly 30 percent.

Only Rome, the "Eternal City," seems to have escaped the crisis. "Tourism is going well in Rome, but it is lower in Florence, Venice and the coast," said the city's deputy mayor in charge of tourism, Mauro Cutrufo.

Despite this summer of discontent, France should remain the world's top tourist choice since travel is down in every country at "about the same rate," said Christian Mantei, president of tourism development agency Atout France.

France depends less on summer tourism, Mantei said, adding: "We have visitors all year long in France."

Who'd have thought that travel was all about the perpetuation of debt?

Expect to see a lot more independent airlines and holiday firms go belly up this winter, on both sides of the channel.

But lets be realistic, all of us can have just as good a holiday within our own member states, with top notch attractions, quality food and beverages, and accommodations. When was 3 short breaks overseas a year ever going to be a sustainable model?

Travel will once again become the luxury of the rich, or the 'jet set'.

Edited by cashinmattress

So what's new? Back in February I was well-pleased to get a very nice 4-star hotel in Brussels for €69/night - last time I was there it was more than that for a 2-star. And for an expensive city, a hotel I stayed at in Amsterdam for €170/night in 2007 was down to €105/night this year. I expect that's not untypical.

No surprise us brits are not dumb. At the office all the people are going to Turkey, Bulgaria, Egypt.

The common theme is they are still holidaying en masse but not going anywhere near a country that has the Euro.

10% down and the beaches are empty.

they should have checked the bars...still rammed with skinheads and zits.

Guest theboltonfury
10% down and the beaches are empty.

they should have checked the bars...still rammed with skinheads and zits.

It's due to a combination of low euro xchange rate and the fact that we were getting stuffed for years by foreign hotels and now air taxes. You'll do well to find a 2 star in Milan for under £100 a night pppr, 1 stars in Amsterdam are around £60 pppr. This is a joke, and maybe we've said 'up yours'.

Trouble is British tourism has cottoned on. Have you seen the prices at Centreparcs?

I wonder how many Brits aren't travelling to Europe now? Over the past couple of years what has the percentages been like for people travelling to EU destinations?

Plus what's the difference in volumes?

It's due to a combination of low euro xchange rate and the fact that we were getting stuffed for years by foreign hotels and now air taxes. You'll do well to find a 2 star in Milan for under £100 a night pppr, 1 stars in Amsterdam are around £60 pppr. This is a joke, and maybe we've said 'up yours'.

Trouble is British tourism has cottoned on. Have you seen the prices at Centreparcs?

centerparcs are a joke...no wonder they do 3 and 4 day stints...unless you take sandwiches you need to pack your bank manager as well.

been looking at Canaries and hotels seem stubbornly pricey...even though they still have vacancies.

maybe it will take another poor season.

Guest theboltonfury
centerparcs are a joke...no wonder they do 3 and 4 day stints...unless you take sandwiches you need to pack your bank manager as well.

been looking at Canaries and hotels seem stubbornly pricey...even though they still have vacancies.

maybe it will take another poor season.

Last Jan, my mate and I got 2 nights in an Amsterdam 4 star for £109 all in. Best we can get now is a 2 star for £150 for the same two nights.

Have been to centerparcs three times this year with wife and small baby. A week is something like £800 off season!! There is one shop on site so they've got you by the balls.

It's a shame as I really like the Penrith one, but as you say, you need to sell a kidney to go.

agreed, but with regards to the exchange rate, I honestly don't think the difference as of now with the historical average would put people off. It might make them spend less , but with better weather abroad and prices at home silly would it really make much difference ?

Last Jan, my mate and I got 2 nights in an Amsterdam 4 star for £109 all in. Best we can get now is a 2 star for £150 for the same two nights.

Have been to centerparcs three times this year with wife and small baby. A week is something like £800 off season!! There is one shop on site so they've got you by the balls.

It's a shame as I really like the Penrith one, but as you say, you need to sell a kidney to go.

I like looking for empty snooker tables and courts....makes it all a lot cheaper.

Guest theboltonfury
agreed, but with regards to the exchange rate, I honestly don't think the difference as of now with the historical average would put people off. It might make them spend less , but with better weather abroad and prices at home silly would it really make much difference ?

I think it's now hit a trigger point where people actually do feel it. It always used to be that the Euro was slightly stronger that the dollar so when the wife asked about how much the shoes were, it was always a fair bit off the same number of pounds, and the brain tells you that you are getting a deal.

Now a 5 euro pint is £5. That's certainly when I sit up and realise 'shit, this is bloody expensive'

Edited by theboltonfury

Car hire has gone to the moon.

Time to catch the train, bus, coach. ;)

200 euros, for a taxi from Nice Airport to Frejus.

Keycampers....you have been warned.

Edited by Bloo Loo

Guest theboltonfury
Car hire has gone to the moon.

Time to catch the train, bus, coach. ;)

That's because they dramatically underestimated how many cars they would need, yet we still went on hols leaving a supply crisis.

Which I guess doesn't really tally with the OP's article.

That's because they dramatically underestimated how many cars they would need, yet we still went on hols leaving a supply crisis.

I think it is more of a finance issue....usually the cars are quite new with low mileage, last time there were quite a few dents and scratches (photo opportunity), could it be they can't off-load and refinance, just a hunch. ;)

I think it is more of a finance issue....usually the cars are quite new with low mileage, last time there were quite a few dents and scratches (photo opportunity), could it be they can't off-load and refinance, just a hunch. ;)

exactly, they had x thousand last year, were they mostly scrapped?

200 euros, for a taxi from Nice Airport to Frejus.

Keycampers....you have been warned.

:o How far is that? I thought Crete was expensive but you can still get a taxi for 100km from the airport for 90euros

:o How far is that? I thought Crete was expensive but you can still get a taxi for 100km from the airport for 90euros

Nice to Frejus is 59 km or 36 miles

200 euro taxi fare or a 172 pounds not sure if it was one way though

exactly, they had x thousand last year, were they mostly scrapped?

They could be scrapping and buying new not selling/part exchanging and buying ex-rental....

In Paris at the moment in Montmartre. Still very busy out here in this part of Paris. However I noticed a lot of sandwich making around me. Also restaurants with cheap menu du jour (€10-€15 for 3 course) do well and are packed where as more expensive restaurants have nobody.

I still can't get over the price of coffee for sitting at a table. Paid €4.30 for a coffee au lait. I found out that Starbucks is the place in Paris to have cheap coffees (who would have thought that).

Accommodation wise I am doing home exchanges. I am 200 yards from the Sacre Coeur in an apartment at no cost to me.

Off to Rome doing the same thing next week.

About 4 weeks ago this article was probably fairly accurate but since August 3rd a friend of mine who works for a large travel firm reckons they are recording record numbers booking holidays to Spain, more than any August he has known in his 14 years. The assured way in which they claimed August was going to be a washout following a very wet July meant that all those who had claimed to be holidaying in the UK or having one of these "Staycations" suddenly realised they had messed up and booked a sunshine trip.

Edited by Einstein71

How much? I have a Ukrainian friend who may be interested.

About 4 weeks ago this article was probably fairly accurate but since August 3rd a friend of mine who works for a large travel firm reckons they are recording record numbers booking holidays to Spain, more than any August he has known in his 14 years. The assured way in which they claimed August was going to be a washout following a very wet July meant that all those who had claimed to be holidaying in the UK or having one of these "Staycations" suddenly realised they had messed up and booked a sunshine trip.

Yes I'm in disagreement on this too.

I'm currently living in Spain and have seen numerous reports on TV (possibly the BBC equivalent, who knows :ph34r: ) but the beaches all around the country here seem to be packed at present. They are saying that it is not as crowded as before but still no sign of slowdown on the costas here be it just Spanish people staying in-country or foreigner visits...

Edit: Spelling

Edited by acidreign

There are some amazing hotel deals to be had at present if you know where to look.

Through the Priceline ´Name your own Price´ option I have seen people getting double rooms in 4* hotels in central Amsterdam for 50 quid a night. Last weekend I stayed at the Grosvenor House on Park lane, room cost me 110 quid per night.