House Price Crash Forum

10m Brits Out Of Work - Notw

HOLA441

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/46623...s-revealed.html

A MASSIVE 10 million Brits of working age don't have a job, a shock new study reveals today.

Official figures which last week showed unemployment has reached 2.4m - its highest since 1995 - are just the tip of the iceberg.

There is another HIDDEN ARMY of 7.9m Brits of working age who aren't in employment, taking the number of jobless to almost 10.4m.

That's more than A THIRD of the 28.9m total actually in work.

The study comes as a raft of gloomy new data reveals Britain is worse off than almost every other major economy as nations pull out of the recession.

Our real unemployment picture is as bad as the early 1980s and experts predict by next year it will be even worse.

Our legions of unemployed are boosted by 7.9m "economically inactive" people, according to the Office for National Statistics.

That includes people who want a job but have not been seeking work for the last four weeks, as well as those who don't want to work.

Also unlisted in the stats are anyone on Incapacity Benefit, those who retire early, stay-at-home mums, students over 16 - and people who have lost their job but are forced to live off redundancy pay-offs or savings because they don't qualify for dole.

This grim toll will grow even worse because the jobless tally lags behind the wider economy. Report author Charlies Elphicke, of the Centre for Policy Studies, said: " A massive 10m people of working age have no job. Single mums and youngsters are very hard hit.

"It's already as bad as in the 80s and will get even worse."

It's slowly leaking into the mainstream.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Quote: That's more than A THIRD of the 28.9m total actually in work.

Correct, but typical mangling of stats to make it sound worse. It actually means that approx. 25% of the 'possible' working population are not in employment of some kind. Still awful mind!

They also state people are not signing on who are living off redundancy payments. Unless it included a pension, these people can receive JSA for 6 months (as long as they've made NI payments). You are only means-tested after 6 months.

Edited by deflation

HOLA446

Correct, but typical mangling of stats to make it sound worse. It actually means that approx. 25% of the 'possible' working population are not in employment of some kind. Still awful mind!

They also state people are not signing on who are living off redundancy payments. Unless it included a pension, these people can receive JSA for 6 months (as long as they've made NI payments). You are only means-tested after 6 months.

If you have savings, you get NONE at all IIRC.

HOLA447

If analysed further, I wonder how the numbers stack up since our open door immigration policy kicked in? How many of our migrants are on the take? I genuinely don't know as the only immigrants I see are the ones I work with who clearly are making a contribution to the country.

A rough view of the ONS graphs would suggest to me that 6 million people have come to the UK since 1998 of which I guess half will be of working age. They can't all be on the dole, and are not, but I wonder of this becomes a flashpoint for the BNP nutters?

TFH

Edited by Tin Foil Hat

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
The real worrying thought is how many boomers will be pulling heavy pensions from the state between now and 2025ish.

This is nothing. We are only ankle deep now.

Prepare yourselves, if possible, or leave Britain if you are mobile.

But where can you go? Europe is surely suffering just as much...

HOLA4412
Guest pioneer31
If you have savings, you get NONE at all IIRC.

IIRC you get a reduced amount if you have over 3k in savings and none if you have over 8k.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
But where can you go? Europe is surely suffering just as much...

Well, if you have to ask, then you are the type who won't be leaving.

It's a big world and there are lots of places with a brighter future.

At least Europe is in a position to grow its own food. That's a whole lot better of a position to be in than the UK.

HOLA4416

I agree that the way this has been phrased is a bit misleading.

IMO a more objective way of stating it would be to say that around a quarter of the working age population are economically inactive, i.e. they are not undertaking any activity which earns money. This includes:

1. People who are unemployed who would work if they could get a job

2. People who are unemployed, who don't want to work and who subsist on benefits (a category which probably includes a significant proportion of those receiving incapacity and other health-related benefits)

3. Adults in full-time education or training

4. People who are unemployed who are genuinely not capable of working for health or other reasons

5. Full-time parents or carers whose role enables another adult to remain economically productive (i.e. not single parents subsisting on benefits).

6. People of independent means who don't need to work (including the early retired)

I hope that the vast majority of the 25% are in the first two categories, because we can't really do anything about the other four.

Edit - to add full-time parents or carers.

Edited by The Ayatollah Bugheri

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Well, if you have to ask, then you are the type who won't be leaving.

It's a big world and there are lots of places with a brighter future.

At least Europe is in a position to grow its own food. That's a whole lot better of a position to be in than the UK.

Thanks for that snotty tone.

In point of fact we are planning to leave in the near future. We are off on a scouting mission to Canada in 1 week, and failing that (my other half is French) we are considering Europe. This is only possible as we have skills that are relatively in demand due to limited supply (if that makes sense).

My point is that if a person is (as I presume a number of people are in the country) in a job that does not require niche skills, and the majority of the (native) inhabitants of this country do not speak another language, what are your options? Jobs are not growing on tree in other countries.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Provided you have made NI contributions you can get 6 months non means tested JSA. After that you would get income support which is means tested

UNLESS, as I said, you are given a pension, which many people receive who take 'early retirement' or redundancy under another name. This is classed as income and if its over about £130 per week (for a single person), you get nought.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
IIRC you get a reduced amount if you have over 3k in savings and none if you have over 8k.

Wrong if you are talking about dole.

You can have 16k of savings and still qualify for dole (if you have paid nat ins in the relevent tax years preceeding the claim). You will not get dole if you have 16k and no nat ins contributions. this is because there are 2 different JSA benefits, contribution based and income based. The former also is allowed if you live with a partner who works, the latter again penalises those who live with a partner who works.. hence people start getting imaginative with who is exactly what with who.... and we appear to have more single people than we actually have....

for housing benefit, you can have 6k with no loss of benefit.. but for every £250 up to 16k there will be a £1 loss to housing benefit.. so if you had say 10k, you would lose £16 of housing benefit per week.. for 15k, you would lose £36.. at 16 though you don't qualify for housing benefit at all AFAIK...

HOLA4425