House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hirop

How Does On Go About Reanting A House In The Countryside

Hello folks, got a query maybe some bods can help with. Having been a city dweller (12 Glasgow & 3 Manchester) for about the last 15 years, I'm thinking about a more hermit-like existence. I'm not talking a house rent in a village - I'm talking a rental in the countryside. I have no idea how to find this holy grail. Normally I pick an area I like and stick +2 miles into rightmove...

This is approach is tricky as I am not native to greater manchester, and although I know the city I just don't have any frame of reference for the countryside around here.

I suppose it could be anywhere, but preferably no more than 40 mins from Manchester. Anybody got any good points to search from? It's hard to put 'nowhere' into a rightmove search....

excuse the typo in the title, that should read "how does one go about....." oops

Edited by hirop

Hello folks, got a query maybe some bods can help with. Having been a city dweller (12 Glasgow & 3 Manchester) for about the last 15 years, I'm thinking about a more hermit-like existence. I'm not talking a house rent in a village - I'm talking a rental in the countryside. I have no idea how to find this holy grail. Normally I pick an area I like and stick +2 miles into rightmove...

This is approach is tricky as I am not native to greater manchester, and although I know the city I just don't have any frame of reference for the countryside around here.

I suppose it could be anywhere, but preferably no more than 40 mins from Manchester. Anybody got any good points to search from? It's hard to put 'nowhere' into a rightmove search....

excuse the typo in the title, that should read "how does one go about....." oops

When I was at Manchester Uni., a mate of mine rented a place in Derbyshire, about 10 miles eastwards of Buxton. Can't remember the name of the nearest village, but the countryside around their was very nice. TBH, anywhere in the Peak District might be what you are looking for. Best thing to do is jump in you car and go out scouting around - whilst you've still got a bit of Summer left to do it in. :)

Northern Cheshire is also worth a look.

Mind you, that "40 mins from Manchester" is going to limit your choices for going too far out, and certainly if you want to be in the "countryside" and not even close to a village. Away from a town or village means away from a train station usually. And my mate who lived in Derbyshire said driving to work in the Winter was a nightmare. It's one tricky problem you've left yourself there. :)

Still, maybe someone around here knows about a hidden gem or two?

Nomadd

I don't know anything about north of Manchester, but am originally from north west (Preston). We live in the city centre but have been debating whether to move into suburbs (Chorlton. Disbury, Hale etc) or head to somewhere more rural.

From our (fairly limited) exploring south of Manchester, e.g. as far down as Holmes Chapel/Congleton you don't seem to get an awful amount for your money; moving south east (as Nomadd says towards Buxton etc) there are some nice rural areas but we aren't convinced by the surrounding towns (may not matter to you). We're also looking north east, e.g. Todmorden/Hebden Bridge area, which is 35-60 mins out but has some attractive rural areas with much better value for money.

I'd be interested to hear of areas you like the look of as you explore.

cheers folks, i'll add here as i expore, buxton seemn to come up a lot, i'll speculate down there first. i'll go further if needed, extra commute is not that big a deal.

cheers folks, i'll add here as i expore, buxton seemn to come up a lot, i'll speculate down there first. i'll go further if needed, extra commute is not that big a deal.

From a commuting perspective, one of the reasons we're looking at the hebden bridge area is that the area has a few train stations (Todmorden, Hebden, Mytholmroyd) and is almost equidistant to Manchester & Leeds (about 50 mins Manchester, slightly longer to Leeds). However, I can remember from childhood that the area can feel hemmed in by the rain and a bit dreary during dark rainy winters!

What about properties with access to the following railway stations on the Blackburn-Bolton line (sub 40 mins into Manchester):

• Entwistle BL7 0NG
  • Bromley Cross BL7 9PZ

Don't do it!!!! The commute is awful.

I used to live in Buxton and commuted 20 miles to south of Stockport for years. I started work relatively early (8) and it still used to take me 50 minutes by car when the traffic was running OK (well as OK as it gets) and the weather was fine.

My longest ever commute, in snow, was three and a half hours home, and two hours twenty minutes back to work the following morning. :( When it's winter the only road that gets treated properly is the A6, so you have no choice but to stick with it for your own safety.

They are forever digging up bits of the A6, and if they start digging up any of the side roads in Hazel Grove, then it causes chaos on the A6 too.

The train is overpriced, unreliable (or certainly used to be), and takes as long as the car. As for the bus, you'll meet yourself coming back.

Cycling - IMHO you'd need a screw loose, I'd be scared witless.

I looked on the bright side though. Before that I was commuting from north of the A14 to Cambridge Science Park during the week and up and down the M1 to Buxton at weekends to see my OH, that was REALLY horrid.

try Edgworth and around it - the train is 20 minutes to central Manchester from Bromley Cross and the village has three pubs, a butchers, a fruit and veg, an amazing ice cream and corner shop and post office. Exactly what you want. IT also has no scrotes, easy access to motorways and relative civilisation and decent people in it.

If Rightmove does not search well on Edgworth, try BL7 or Darwen as searches - unless your eyes are too close together don't actually rent IN Darwen though.