House Price Crash Forum
athom

Royal Mail Staff Think Recession Not Deep Enough Yet

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/606...l-services.html

Homes and businesses face postal delays from Saturday due to a fresh wave of strikes in a continuing row over jobs, pay and the modernisation of Royal Mail.

Wildcat strikes by postal workers in 2007 cost businesses in London an estimated pounds 304 million.

simoncowlousyonroyalmail.jpg

Sack them all and employ people who actually want a job. Simple

I've been waiting over a week for something already so this is personal. :angry:

indeed, isn't the classic response to a mail strike , how will we notice!

on top of that and it is hpc related

its always nice to see what your old footy chums are up to

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/...oney_from_post/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/606...l-services.html

simoncowlousyonroyalmail.jpg

Sack them all and employ people who actually want a job. Simple

the problem with rm is the management not the posties

posties are now expected to deliver more in the same time under pegasus, which originally stated the minimum walking speed

the money is not being spent but improvements are expected by utilising measures which are ignorant of the real problems

nsun136l.jpg

Exactly. Why post and wait when you can send instantly?

And if the contents are sensitive, you would be mad to use the Royal Mail.

On topic: I suspect that houses near main sorting offices will soon fall in price relative to those that are not.

Exactly. Why post and wait when you can send instantly?

And if the contents are sensitive, you would be mad to use the Royal Mail.

On topic: I suspect that houses near main sorting offices will soon fall in price relative to those that are not.

Royal mail has one thing going for it, it's not city link!

Royal mail has one thing going for it, it's not city link!

Go on then, the suspense is killing me...

the problem with rm is the management not the posties

I don't see why you/they don't do a collective disobedience instead. If there was a previous system that worked stick to it and screw the management. A walk out is ******ing unimaginative and very bad for the economy especially small businesses who are hanging on by their fingernails. A cheque failing to arrive might have serious consequences.

Go on then, the suspense is killing me...

no that's it, that's the one thing

it's marginally and i mean it, marginally better than 'city link'

if it wasn't for city link it would be the shittest business in the world.

I don't see why you/they don't do a collective disobedience instead. If there was a previous system that worked stick to it and screw the management. A walk out is ******ing unimaginative and very bad for the economy especially small businesses who are hanging on by their fingernails. A cheque failing to arrive might have serious consequences.

It can't be just me secretly hoping that p.p stands for postman pat can it?

It can't be just me secretly hoping that p.p stands for postman pat can it?

:lol:

nah - i just know some posties and hear the sh1t they have to put up with

maybe working to rule is the answer or maybe we should be more like the french :unsure:

With every new post strike, people will work out alternative arrangements for their delivery needs and won't go back. The phenomenon is not new: sales of fax machines quadrupled in the month following a big strike in the mid-80s. But the combination of private couriers and the Internet mean that by now, the only thing there is now no easy alternative to the Royal Mail for delivery is greetings cards.

The logicial conclusion to this, IMO, is the Royal Mail going bust and consequently the end of the 'one price to anywhere' delivery service. Those of us in urban areas won't experience any inconvenience whatsoever. Sadly, it'll be a different story if you're in Aberystwyth or on Barra, though.

I'm gutted, how am I going to find our what Domino's latest deals are.

We use Royal Mail for a massive amount of online shipping in the sub 2kg weight category. Someone from Argos was telling me they use DHL for this as they undercut RM. Too many strikes will be the final nail in the coffin for me with RM.

Their lack of IT automation is staggering, if you want to check a payment has reached them you have to actually ring a person up and check they've correctly allocated the money to your account and it hasn't got lost in the ether.

A classic misunderstanding about how technology and compeition have changed the game.

Postman Pat and all of his friends can be distruptive and inconvenient in the short run but they are completely doomed in the long run.

I suspect that within 5 years, no-one will even notice that Postman Pat and all of his friends have gone on strike.

They are pushing themselves towards irrelevance and all of the "industrial action" is only hastening their demise.

Well ,Royal Mail delivered my Euros this morning, recorded delivery. Wasn't expecting them til Monday.

Glad I don't live in the Blackburn area though, one of the post managers up there was nicking currency from the mail.

Well ,Royal Mail delivered my Euros this morning, recorded delivery. Wasn't expecting them til Monday.

Glad I don't live in the Blackburn area though, one of the post managers up there was nicking currency from the mail.

Take it you're on about mosschops.

Reason given for stealing : negative equity.

Edited by slurms mackenzie

Worth noting that while email has reduced business mail, which was delivered in sacks by a van, thanks to internet shopping, you average postman now has so much mail he has to have a dropbox to keep half of it in as there is too much to carry.

Also worth noting, the reason why Royal Mail are stuggling is because the MD is also on the board of one of the private mail companies (TNT I thnk?) who pay him more, and as a result he agreed that royal mail would deliver mail for ALL the private mail companies at a MASSIVE UNIMAGINABLE loss.

I'll give you a simplified example:

Private Mail Company (PMC) collects mail from a business and charges them 20p a letter.

PMC then delivers that sack of mail to the nearest Royal Mail (RM) sorting office.

RM then have to delivery that mail for 1p a letter.

PMC pocket 18.9p a letter profit and RM lose 30p a letter.

This is basically a scam run by the MD of Royal Mail who should never have been allowed to be in the role his is due to a massive conflict of interest.

The solution is for Royal Mail to charge the private mail companies 30p.... the proper amount, for each letter they deliver, rather than 1p.

In the meantime, the posties, rather than going on strike, should refuse to deliver the Private Mail Companies letters, but still deliver stamped and franked mail. Most Private Mail Company post is junk mail and bills anyway. Any businesses desperate to get their junk delivered can pay royal mail and it will still get there.

:lol:

nah - i just know some posties and hear the sh1t they have to put up with

maybe working to rule is the answer or maybe we should be more like the french :unsure:

I do admire the French when they get protesting but that's from over here. I think if i was over there i'd get fed up of it.

Who knows what the answer is but striking randomly is just a pain in the **** and as others have posted here will only drive more business away.

I do admire the French when they get protesting but that's from over here. I think if i was over there i'd get fed up of it.

Who knows what the answer is but striking randomly is just a pain in the **** and as others have posted here will only drive more business away.

Have you noticed that the companies employees that tend to strike are normally monopolies

Of course you have!

You've probably also noticed that they tend to do it at the time they want the most holidays

Think about how many times transport workers go on strike on bank holidays or postal workers over christmas.

It's hard to know what to do with transport, but for postal workers i'd make it illegal for a online company to not offer a choice of couriers.

Freaking less recyc bin shite then. Why don't they make it permanent. I've never personally understood the strike mentality, it's like yeah, we work, but we hates it. Get another job then you doofuses. Stop poking your paper bases spam through my letterbox. If I could only be 100% sure there was nothing of any use (5% probably still is) I'd replace the front door with one which had no letterbox. I'd like us to ge to that point, then we can do away with Royle Mail altogether.

Worth noting that while email has reduced business mail, which was delivered in sacks by a van, thanks to internet shopping, you average postman now has so much mail he has to have a dropbox to keep half of it in as there is too much to carry.

Also worth noting, the reason why Royal Mail are stuggling is because the MD is also on the board of one of the private mail companies (TNT I thnk?) who pay him more, and as a result he agreed that royal mail would deliver mail for ALL the private mail companies at a MASSIVE UNIMAGINABLE loss.

I'll give you a simplified example:

Private Mail Company (PMC) collects mail from a business and charges them 20p a letter.

PMC then delivers that sack of mail to the nearest Royal Mail (RM) sorting office.

RM then have to delivery that mail for 1p a letter.

PMC pocket 18.9p a letter profit and RM lose 30p a letter.

This is basically a scam run by the MD of Royal Mail who should never have been allowed to be in the role his is due to a massive conflict of interest.

The solution is for Royal Mail to charge the private mail companies 30p.... the proper amount, for each letter they deliver, rather than 1p.

In the meantime, the posties, rather than going on strike, should refuse to deliver the Private Mail Companies letters, but still deliver stamped and franked mail. Most Private Mail Company post is junk mail and bills anyway. Any businesses desperate to get their junk delivered can pay royal mail and it will still get there.

I thought it was more along the lines that for their private investment if it went ahead that TNT would have some interested parties on the board of RM?

There are a fair number of companies who employ downstream access services now to "undercut" Royal Mail (TNT is just one of them and so any proposed investment in RM would open up a whole different argument with alternative operators). I agree it is crazy to allow private companies a better deal than the RM itself; it seems like someone is trying to set them up for a fall.

I have every sympathy with postie and his right to strike whether or not his job will be viable in years to come (personally I think it will - there will always be a level of 'secure' mail that will never migrate to email,

and the explosion of ebay) just because he is not getting what has been promised or is having to work longer shifts

(work fast & expect to go home but have to cover someone elses delivery ie. you get more work to do = just do your shift slower then!)... in my dealings with RM I would say there is plenty of management to tweak way before messing with the postie... !!

To the original poster; yes, having a job right now is a good thing but you should always have a right to stand up for yourself.

Edited by givemethegun

You've probably also noticed that they tend to do it at the time they want the most holidays

Think about how many times transport workers go on strike on bank holidays or postal workers over christmas.

I did notice that the recent national express east coast rail strike gave them 4 day weekends throughout August. Subtle brilliance there.

And who are they holding to ransom? US

For what? More of our money for the same crappy service. Beautiful.

Sack the lot of them and start again with polskis who'll at least work for their money and not look as suicidal doing it.