House Price Crash Forum

I don't know if its just me but Petrol in my local Tesco is £1.06 a litre now. Its creeping up again and we have a 2p tax increase coming in September. If my mind serves my right, inflation rose sharply last time due to high oil prices, which put up interest rates, than with subprime everything fell down like a pack of cards.

So we have..................

High unemployment

Many people working a 3 day week

A lot of people having had pay cuts

= reduced money in the economy

and now we have the return of high petrol prices.

Surely this is going to hit people hard in the pockets, I know it is me.

But its ok, house prices are rising and thats all the matters in the British economy (stupid country)

From the 4th quater on inflation (althought they try to mis-rep it as "growth/recovery").

Peek oil will hit this winter, expect £1.45 to be the norm.........then up, up & away.

Also factor in a crashing £ & "They" got to tax something!

Mike

I have noticed petrol and diesel are the same price again, not 10p/l more for diesel as it was just the other day. Anyone know what happened with that?

That will screw the economy big time. I'm half contemplating getting a hybrid car to take advantage of low road tax and better economy due to miles I have to travel.

That will screw the economy big time. I'm half contemplating getting a hybrid car to take advantage of low road tax and better economy due to miles I have to travel.

Skoda Fabia 1.9 Tdi

I achieved 80.2MPG this week on a gentle drive to Heathrow at night. Yes, I only went at 55MPH but at 3am nobody cares.

Quite staggering what can be achieved with effort and overinflated tyres.

Edited by hedgefunded

Skoda Fabia 1.9 Tdi

I achieved 80.2MPG this week on a gentle drive to Heathrow at night. Yes, I only went at 55MPH but at 3am nobody cares.

Quite staggering what can be achieved with effort and overinflated tyres.

1.9 SDI VW.

55 MPG no matter what speed I do. Cheap as chips! (apart from the road tax... small price to pay)

From the 4th quater on inflation (althought they try to mis-rep it as "growth/recovery").

Peek oil will hit this winter, expect £1.45 to be the norm.........then up, up & away.

Also factor in a crashing £ & "They" got to tax something!

Mike

Exactly so. Many Peak Oil theorists foresee a crash brought about by high prices, then a drop in oil prices as demand drops off or levels out, then another recovery and a rise in prices. Multiple dip recessions.

I turned down a job interview this week, for a variety of reasons, but one major one was the rate of pay -v- the time/cost of the travel.

Pay was £8/hour, but it was 30 miles on shoddy Welsh back roads (takes an hour each way when it's not peak hours). I didn't fancy 3 months of being out of the house at 7.15am and back at 6.30pm to end up paying a lion's share of the take home just on keeping the car on the road to get there/back. It would have put 4000 miles on the car and god knows where the price of petrol's going in the next 3 months. There was no long-term prospect of staying there (nor desire to) and it was in the 4rse end of nowhere so not worthy of consideration to use it as a reason to relocate.

But the cost of petrol was one of the top two factors in declining the interview.

Exactly so. Many Peak Oil theorists foresee a crash brought about by high prices, then a drop in oil prices as demand drops off or levels out, then another recovery and a rise in prices. Multiple dip recessions.

This is how it will pan out in the medium term. Multiple crashes brought about by high oil prices every time the economy tries to expand.

Exactly, the word of the week will be "volatile"................expect to see it in the news soon. Of course they will try and find an answer to the question, "why are prices so volatile?", and completely miss the mark...

It's the big squeeze innit!

Food and fuel up, wages down on average if you take into account cuts in overtime etc.

I notice that Tesco is doing its bit by doubling the price of some goods eg sushi rice has gone from 99p to 2.39 over the past year....still, at least you get double points now!

My guess is that only a small percentage of people have had to cut back so far....what happens if 20 or 30% start cutting back?

I'm half contemplating getting a hybrid car to take advantage of low road tax and better economy due to miles I have to travel.

Would you still be saving money after the cost/depreciation on the new car relative to the reduced fuel outgoing?

I spend about £90 a month on petrol for commuting. My Fiesta is probably worth around £1,500 (and annoyingly, is a year and a half too young to be eligible for the 'bangers for cash' scheme), costs around £500 a year to maintain and is probably now depreciating at a negligible rate. It gives me around 48-49mpg in summer and 44-45 in winter.

I reckon a new supermini with £2k off that averages 60mpg would just about make financial sense if I kept it for at least 4-5 years. But any more of an initial capital outlay would more than offset any savings on fuel and maintenance for the first few years, even if the price of petrol virtually doubled.

Guest UK Debt Slave
I don't know if its just me but Petrol in my local Tesco is £1.06 a litre now. Its creeping up again and we have a 2p tax increase coming in September. If my mind serves my right, inflation rose sharply last time due to high oil prices, which put up interest rates, than with subprime everything fell down like a pack of cards.

So we have..................

High unemployment

Many people working a 3 day week

A lot of people having had pay cuts

= reduced money in the economy

and now we have the return of high petrol prices.

Surely this is going to hit people hard in the pockets, I know it is me.

But its ok, house prices are rising and thats all the matters in the British economy (stupid country)

I stopped playing this game in september 2007

When petrol went over £1 a litre, the game was upas far as I was concerned

I took my car off the road, declared it SORN and ever since and I haven't paid a penny in motoring taxes to this aberration of a government.

I've saved myself a considerable amount of money though I concede it can be a real pain not having the freedom of a car.

The attitude of this government is that driving a car is a privilage, NOT a basic right

So expect more of the same

Much higher motoring taxes in future and much more expensive fuel

When everyone has switched to cycling, they'll just tax that instead...and the logical conclusion is....then they'll tax you cycle...and then they'll tax you walk....and finally they'll tax you to breathe

It's a no win game folks. They'll always have a great big dildo shoved right up your ass

Which we will never get out of whilst the conventional wisdom is to put fingers in ears and go nanananananna I can't hear you

Would you still be saving money after the cost/depreciation on the new car relative to the reduced fuel outgoing?

I spend about £90 a month on petrol for commuting. My Fiesta is probably worth around £1,500 (and annoyingly, is a year and a half too young to be eligible for the 'bangers for cash' scheme), costs around £500 a year to maintain and is probably now depreciating at a negligible rate. It gives me around 48-49mpg in summer and 44-45 in winter.

I reckon a new supermini with £2k off that averages 60mpg would just about make financial sense if I kept it for at least 4-5 years. But any more of an initial capital outlay would more than offset any savings on fuel and maintenance for the first few years, even if the price of petrol virtually doubled.

I do about 2000 miles a month business and 500 private. I have a toyota avensis 1.8 petrol that I get about 41mpg from. Will eventually switch to diesel but not worth doing now for the fuel saving alone. Plan to run the avensis into the ground first.

I stopped playing this game in september 2007

When petrol went over £1 a litre, the game was upas far as I was concerned

I took my car off the road, declared it SORN and ever since and I haven't paid a penny in motoring taxes to this aberration of a government.

I've saved myself a considerable amount of money though I concede it can be a real pain not having the freedom of a car.

The attitude of this government is that driving a car is a privilage, NOT a basic right

So expect more of the same

Much higher motoring taxes in future and much more expensive fuel

When everyone has switched to cycling, they'll just tax that instead...and the logical conclusion is....then they'll tax you cycle...and then they'll tax you walk....and finally they'll tax you to breathe

It's a no win game folks.

They'll always have a great big dildo shoved right up your ass

Nicely balanced post. First the bad news, then finish with one bit of really good news!

"22 7 2009(11) ... PARIS (Reuters)

- French government-appointed group of experts will submit proposals for a carbon tax on fuel from January 1 2010(1121)

Can someone please point out the Blitish 'price' of petrol!

Then Gov't taxation cost £ %

- ta

"22 7 2009(11) ... PARIS (Reuters)

- French government-appointed group of experts will submit proposals for a carbon tax on fuel from January 1 2010(1121)

Can someone please point out the Blitish 'price' of petrol!

Then Gov't taxation cost £ %

- ta

:unsure:

Have you forgotten the meaning of rhetorical? did you ever know it?

Sorry, thought you had a memory lapse between your first line and your second line. I was only trying to be helpful. :unsure: