House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
zebbedee

What Should Be In The House When We Move In?

Hi,

So having had a lot of bother from our current landlord my fiancee and I decided to get somewhere else. We viewed a property we liked 4 weeks ago and signed the contract on friday. It's let as furnished and when we viewed it there was a cooker present. Now that we have actually been back the cooker is gone and having rooted around the place there is a lot of mail from the gas about the cooker failing safety inspections but having passed the last one in feb for which we were given a copy of the safety inspection certificate. The cooker was not on the inventory we recieved after signing the contract. It was one of the selling points for us that it had a gas cooker (can't stand electric) and we wouldn't have considered it otherwise. The ad states that the kitchen is "with appliances"-we've printed it off. Do we have a case to get them to reinstall one and as the tenancy has now commenced what can we expect as a reduction to the first months rent? Or if they won't play ball can we get out of the contract as it was misrepresented to us at the viewing?

Cheers

Zeb

ps worryingly it feels a bit like out of the frying pan into the fire :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by zebbedee

Hi,

So having had a lot of bother from our current landlord my fiancee and I decided to get somewhere else. We viewed a property we liked 4 weeks ago and signed the contract on friday. It's let as furnished and when we viewed it there was a cooker present. Now that we have actually been back the cooker is gone and having rooted around the place there is a lot of mail from the gas about the cooker failing safety inspections but having passed the last one in feb for which we were given a copy of the safety inspection certificate. The cooker was not on the inventory we recieved after signing the contract. It was one of the selling points for us that it had a gas cooker (can't stand electric) and we wouldn't have considered it otherwise. The ad states that the kitchen is "with appliances"-we've printed it off. Do we have a case to get them to reinstall one and as the tenancy has now commenced what can we expect as a reduction to the first months rent? Or if they won't play ball can we get out of the contract as it was misrepresented to us at the viewing?

Cheers

Zeb

ps worryingly it feels a bit like out of the frying pan into the fire :lol::lol::lol:

If you haven't yet, don't sign the inventory as that may be taken as acceptance of the missing cooker.

Even if you have, contact the agents and tell them that you will be purchasing a cooker with next month's rent. That should get them moving.

If you haven't yet, don't sign the inventory as that may be taken as acceptance of the missing cooker.

Even if you have, contact the agents and tell them that you will be purchasing a cooker with next month's rent. That should get them moving.

No,haven't signed yet went in to go through it and take many many high res photos :ph34r:

Hopefully it's just because they were in a rush to let and things went quicker than they expected. We have a 2 week overlap here so we can make sure everythings alright and move at leasure. But a missing cooker ffs.

Edit: spellink

Edited by zebbedee

Yes, it does. Ask the agent nicely. If they say "yes of course" (possibly with a day's delay to consult landlord, but don't let it drag on), all's well. If not, you might want to reconsider doing business with them.

I've just found this in the landlord and tenant act 1985-

10 Fitness for human habitation

In determining for the purposes of this Act whether a house is unfit for human habitation, regard shall be had to its condition in respect of the following matters—

repair,

stability,

freedom from damp,

internal arrangement,

natural lighting,

ventilation,

water supply,

drainage and sanitary conveniences,

facilities for preparation and cooking of food and for the disposal of waste water;

and the house shall be regarded as unfit for human habitation if, and only if, it is so far defective in one or more of those matters that it is not reasonably suitable for occupation in that condition.

- So with no facilities for cooking food <_< , I don't suppose anyone knows of any later acts that ament this do they? Just looking for a stick to beat the agents with if neccessary

- So with no facilities for cooking food <_< , I don't suppose anyone knows of any later acts that ament this do they? Just looking for a stick to beat the agents with if neccessary

No chance. If there was a working cooker, then a new one could presumably be installed. In unfurnished property, that would be perfectly normal, though if you're renting furnished then I'd say it's reasonable to expect a working cooker.

Your case is that you expected to get what you saw, and that that included a cooker. If it's deliberate, the agent has deceived you. You might try to argue that's fraud. But you'd be extremely unlikely to get anywhere if you hadn't first pointed out the problem and asked them to deal with it: do you even know it isn't just something perfectly innocent like a bit of muddle between the landlord and agent?

IANAL. None of the above is legal advice.

Your case is that you expected to get what you saw, and that that included a cooker. If it's deliberate, the agent has deceived you. You might try to argue that's fraud. But you'd be extremely unlikely to get anywhere if you hadn't first pointed out the problem and asked them to deal with it: do you even know it isn't just something perfectly innocent like a bit of muddle between the landlord and agent?

IANAL. None of the above is legal advice.

We are hoping it is just a muddle, only went into the place yesterday and by the time we were there the agents was closed so having to wait until monday to deal with it and get the low down. But looking for any advice incase it turns out to have be deliberate.

We specifically asked at the viewing what was staying in the kitchen. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

Edited by zebbedee

Hi,

Cheers

Zeb

It is out of order (pardon the pun) for there to be no cooker in an unfurnished property let alone a furnished one!!

It may have been condemned only recently with a new one on order but they should have let you know and given you the choice as to whether you move in or not. It's totally unacceptable and you need to write on the inventory that the cooker has been removed since your viewing and keep a copy before you hand it back.

Ring them every day until a cooker is installed and inform them that you won't be paying rent for each day you are without a cooker. Has the tenancy actually commenced yet?

It is out of order (pardon the pun) for there to be no cooker in an unfurnished property let alone a furnished one!!

It may have been condemned only recently with a new one on order but they should have let you know and given you the choice as to whether you move in or not. It's totally unacceptable and you need to write on the inventory that the cooker has been removed since your viewing and keep a copy before you hand it back.

Ring them every day until a cooker is installed and inform them that you won't be paying rent for each day you are without a cooker. Has the tenancy actually commenced yet?

Thanks, got it sorted, complained by phone and email (documentable) about it and numerous other things (items not on inventory for which if when we leave we left would be charged for storage of, items not noted as paint damaged, the house not having been cleaned etc) Got a call that day from them for someone to go in with the new cooker so just need to gee them on with the gas safety inspection now. They seem to be responding reasonably quickly so I'm thinking it is the landlord fannying about having things done but not telling the agent so they have us sign and move in and he's getting rent while we have to put up with him finishing up geting it ready for let. The agent did actually seem genuinely surprised when I said about the cooker.

Thanks, got it sorted, complained by phone and email (documentable) about it and numerous other things (items not on inventory for which if when we leave we left would be charged for storage of, items not noted as paint damaged, the house not having been cleaned etc) Got a call that day from them for someone to go in with the new cooker so just need to gee them on with the gas safety inspection now. They seem to be responding reasonably quickly so I'm thinking it is the landlord fannying about having things done but not telling the agent so they have us sign and move in and he's getting rent while we have to put up with him finishing up geting it ready for let. The agent did actually seem genuinely surprised when I said about the cooker.

Glad you got it sorted :)

Maybe that's a regional thing. No cooker is not unusual around here (and I'd much rather have my own than many of those landlords provide - I especially hate any kind of solid electric hob).