House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tboy

Careful Being A Facebook Stalker!

Not sure this is known, but I've found a "Friend Suggestion" on Facebook that is someone I am doing a kinda personal/business transaction with...absolutely no way anyone in my friends list would know this person, I've never searched for them...so only reason it appeared there was because he'd searched for me...find it a little weird really, just wondering if all the old girlfriends from school I searched for saw that I was looking them up...!

Don't like the privacy implications of this, though it wouldn't bother me so much if they actually told you this.

Not sure this is known, but I've found a "Friend Suggestion" on Facebook that is someone I am doing a kinda personal/business transaction with...absolutely no way anyone in my friends list would know this person, I've never searched for them...so only reason it appeared there was because he'd searched for me...find it a little weird really, just wondering if all the old girlfriends from school I searched for saw that I was looking them up...!

Don't like the privacy implications of this, though it wouldn't bother me so much if they actually told you this.

I didn't think it worked like that. I assumed that the friend suggestions were just drawn from among your current friends.

We do background checks on every new employee and Facebook is also checked. I am sure the comapny we use has a ton of fake accounts just for this purpose.

I would make the assumption that eveything you ever put on Facebook is not private!

I didn't think it worked like that. I assumed that the friend suggestions were just drawn from among your current friends.

nope, i can guarantee you this person is not a friend of any friends. I do see lots of suggestions of people I assumed were friends of friends though.

We do background checks on every new employee and Facebook is also checked. I am sure the comapny we use has a ton of fake accounts just for this purpose.

what do you look for? if their pics show them having too much fun you won't hire them?

Guest theboltonfury

I would make the assumption that eveything you ever put on Facebook is not private!

What a horrible company you must work for.

I know of someone at a university whose job it is to have an account so they can check up on the studenty goings-on. Just to keep an eye on the trouble makers, check up on what is being talked about post any incidents etc.

I don't understand how they do it though, because unless they have some kind of special all seeing eye account, then how do you see any more than the name and photo of the person you're looking up? Most people have some vague amount of protection on their facebook account... If someone invites you to be their friend, then you can look at their page, but you can't just look at anyone's profile... can you?

Guest theboltonfury
Rubbish!

It does help weed out the liars. Do you like working with liars then?

And how would a load of pictures unravel a CV? I bet every one you work with has a lie on their CV, including you.

I don't see your point.

Did you let facebook search through your email account for any email addresses registered with facebook? Maybe tht's how it suggested this person?

And how would a load of pictures unravel a CV?

If they prove that someone was not where their CV says they were or doing what their CV says they did. Just spent a year travelling abroad and helping orphans being proved wrong by UK based lager soaked photo ops for example.

I bet every one you work with has a lie on their CV, including you.

What a bizarre suggestion. Do you and those you know routinely apply for self cert mortgages?

What a horrible company you must work for.

Most are no? :lol:

Its getting to be pretty much common practice in serious organisations and so is a credit check. A lot of this is now being forced onto companies aswell as they can be sued for not take due digilgence when hiring.

Sorry to bring bad news but anyone who thinks it isn't easy to see everything someone ever posts online is deluded. It can and will bite you in future years.

Guest theboltonfury
If they prove that someone was not where their CV says they were or doing what their CV says they did. Just spent a year travelling abroad and helping orphans being proved wrong by UK based lager soaked photo ops for example.

What a bizarre suggestion. Do you and those you know routinely apply for self cert mortgages?

If you think that's bizarre then you must be about 15.

Everyone exaggerates/lies on their CV. Dates of employment, role, salary etc etc. Last time I checked, facebook does not give a personal resume. More like 'I am eating my tea' or 'I am tired'.

What has mortages got to do with this?

Or are you just in an argumentative mood? I guess you must check people on facebook or you wouldn't be so defensive about it.

Guest theboltonfury
Most are no? :lol:

Its getting to be pretty much common practice in serious organisations and so is a credit check. A lot of this is now being forced onto companies aswell as they can be sued for not take due digilgence when hiring.

Sorry to bring bad news but anyone who thinks it isn't easy to see everything someone ever posts online is deluded. It can and will bite you in future years.

You may be right, but I think you assume that there are many people in HR departments with more than 2 brain cells, or at least enough intelligence to understand some of the nonsense posted on forums.

Besides, don't most people spend all day on facebook anyway? This would be very ironic.

Facebook is routinely used by employers and potential employers to 'track' staff and do checks on potential staff. One guy I know told me he did checks on Facebook because criticisms, etc., can be posted by 'enemies' - and not deleted by the individual they're targetting. Don't know if this is true as I've never used Facebook myself. If this is the case, I wouldn't ever use Facebook.

While I don't like the idea of employers taking the default position that applicants are lying and setting out to prove otherwise, I do agree that if you publish something about yourself online (using your real name), then you've done just that - published it, for all the world to see and judge you over. Doesn't really matter whether that's on FB or anywhere else.

So if you state on your CV that you've been working on an irrigation project in Sodomistan and then put photos on the publicly available Internet showing yourself puking up through the window of the Chav and Ferret in Worksop during the time you'd claimed to be away, you really only have yourself to blame.

Guest theboltonfury
Facebook is routinely used by employers and potential employers to 'track' staff and do checks on potential staff. One guy I know told me he did checks on Facebook because criticisms, etc., can be posted by 'enemies' - and not deleted by the individual they're targetting. Don't know if this is true as I've never used Facebook myself. If this is the case, I wouldn't ever use Facebook.

1) don't you have to be 'friend' with someone to see all this.

2) WHo would these enemies be? It could be someone from a primary school, rugby team etc. It's unlikley to be used by some industry espionage agent.

I guess it does happen, as enough people have said it, but I find the idea comical. It perhaps sums up why this country has such misfiring commerce at the moment.

A lot depends on the job and organisation. I work in auditing. I can tell you for a fact we will not hire if:

You have a bad credit score....

You have a bad debt ratio even with a good credit score...

You have ever filed bankrupt....

Your stated previous earnings do not match your real earnings (always ask for previous 5 years tax returns).....

You have a convictions or cautions at any age....

You live more that 50 miles away for the office....

You have any potential reputation issue (myspace, facebook, blogs, clubs, website, magazine articles)

You must have a drug test and agree to one randomly if asked...

On occasion we also check parents and family......

On occasion we check school records going back all the way....

If we had a consultant who committed a crime on a clients account and we could not prove we had do the above we would be sued out of business............

Guest theboltonfury
A lot depends on the job and organisation. I work in auditing. I can tell you for a fact we will not hire if:

You have a bad credit score....

You have a bad debt ratio even with a good credit score...

You have ever filed bankrupt....

Your stated previous earnings do not match your real earnings (always ask for previous 5 years tax returns).....

You have a convictions or cautions at any age....

You live more that 50 miles away for the office....

You have any potential reputation issue (myspace, facebook, blogs, clubs, website, magazine articles)

You must have a drug test and agree to one randomly if asked...

On occasion we also check parents and family......

On occasion we check school records going back all the way....

If we had a consultant who committed a crime on a clients account and we could not prove we had do the above we would be sued out of business............

Do you work in the Pentagon?

I bet recruitment agents are queuing up to work with your business.

I recently saw someone put up a facebook page in a false name of another workmate to specifically target the re-org going on within his own company. He then posted all the dirt after getting a bunch of other employees to become his friends.

Most people don't even know if the person who is their friend really is their friend. Any idiot can go to friends reunited and find hundreds of ex school mates etc and set up accounts in those names.....................

I should stop am probably giving out too much info :lol:

Guest theboltonfury
I recently saw someone put up a facebook page in a false name of another workmate to specifically target the re-org going on within his own company. He then posted all the dirt after getting a bunch of other employees to become his friends.

Most people don't even know if the person who is their friend really is their friend. Any idiot can go to friends reunited and find hundreds of ex school mates etc and set up accounts in those names.....................

I should stop am probably giving out too much info :lol:

Given your stringent regs, it sounds like facebook is the least of your company's concerns!

Do you work in the Pentagon?

I bet recruitment agents are queuing up to work with your business.

they are,

we pay a lot to recruitment agencies and charge a lot to clients,

clients expect clean people when they trust us and pay us ..............

its pretty typical these days

Did you let facebook search through your email account for any email addresses registered with facebook? Maybe tht's how it suggested this person?

Good suggestion, but nope. I have received emails from him (I use Thunderbird) but don't have him in my contacts and definitely haven't used Facebook to scan my email contacts for friends anyway.