House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AndyAndy

How Can They Live Like This

So I was walking to the Tesco cash machine when a fairly wealthy looking sort parks up close by in a Audi 4x4, kids in back and obviously planning a shop (once upon a time they would have gone to the Waitrose close by). The yummie mummy driver of the 4x4 joins the queue ahead of me and buggers about with the cash machine for a bit as if they were trying to reorganise the 3rd world debt using it.

Eventually extract what appeared to be a single note and goes into Tesco. The machine churns out more paper as they were leaving and being a cad I glanced at it before putting it in the secure bin. Over £5,000 overdrawn! How can people live like this - it would keep me up at night.

I often wonder about those I see around me here in SW Essex.

Lots of those jumbo 4x4's driven by attention whores and there is a daily procession of Cayennes, RR Sports, Q7's etc taking Tarquins and Jessicas to the local private school.

The financing aside, I have always suspected that they are chavs with money (or not :ph34r: ), and last night we were having a pizza, paid for with our hard-earned and not overdraft when a typical example of such a family came in.

Overbearing and loud yummy mummy, dressed up and made up and sitting facing the main walkway in the restaurant spending a lot of time posing and looking to see who's looking at her. Downtrodden but apparently reasonably well-off father, and two kids present. Kids were proper spoilt shites and were playing around the chairs in the restaurant, but parents did nothing to enforce some decorum and it was 'acceptable' and smiley all round.

We're in a world of pretence and appearances. It's not a massive leap of intelligence to realise that appearances are merely shells and without some substance behind it, you're only deluding yourself in the medium to long term.

TFH

Most of these balance reciepts I see are overdrawn or empty.

Where is the wealth then?

----->>>>

These must be savy people who put their money in 5% interest saving accounts or even "stooging" (soo.. 2005) with their overdrafts in "investment" schemes returning 20%.

:lol:

Edited by Pseudo Lord Sandwich

Drinking house and private members club - oh they can smoke there too!

799px-Houses.of.parliament.overall.arp.jpg

Policy and deal venues, take your pick, Swiss chalets, private yachts, villas.....

zermatt_huwi_fs.jpg

Doesn't always run smoothly though, bit of a ****-up with the travel agent.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/ho...icle6805862.ece

Duke of York among wealthy losers as Descent International goes bust

Costas Pitas, Mark Frary and David Brown

With its impeccable links to aristocracy and the City there were plenty of wealthy customers prepared to pay up to £58,000 a week to rent Descent International’s luxury ski chalets.

With chauffeurs for their 4x4s, indoor swimming pools, wine cellars and gourmet chefs, many of the celebrity guests were rarely seen on the slopes.

But yesterday the Duke of York was identified as one of the customers who are unlikely to see the return of their deposits on chalets for this winter’s season after the company confirmed that it had gone bust.

Prince Andrew lost thousands of pounds that he put down as a deposit on Chalet Eugenia in the Swiss resort of Klosters during next January’s World Economic Forum at Davos.

He had rented the chalet, owned by the family of Baroness Thyssen-Bornemisza, this year and used it to host a party for guests including Lord Mandelson, the Business Secretary, and George Osborne, the Shadow Chancellor.

Descent International’s guest list included the novelists J. K. Rowling and Sebastian Faulks, the comedian Rowan Atkinson, the banker Sir Fred Goodwin and David and Victoria Beckham.

Guest Barebear

Drinking house and private members club - oh they can smoke there too

No they cant they voted to ban it in line with everyone else. Although as a palace it was exempt. So they have done one thing right and proper.

I often wonder about those I see around me here in SW Essex.

Lots of those jumbo 4x4's driven by attention whores and there is a daily procession of Cayennes, RR Sports, Q7's etc taking Tarquins and Jessicas to the local private school.

The financing aside, I have always suspected that they are chavs with money (or not :ph34r: ), and last night we were having a pizza, paid for with our hard-earned and not overdraft when a typical example of such a family came in.

Overbearing and loud yummy mummy, dressed up and made up and sitting facing the main walkway in the restaurant spending a lot of time posing and looking to see who's looking at her. Downtrodden but apparently reasonably well-off father, and two kids present. Kids were proper spoilt shites and were playing around the chairs in the restaurant, but parents did nothing to enforce some decorum and it was 'acceptable' and smiley all round.

We're in a world of pretence and appearances. It's not a massive leap of intelligence to realise that appearances are merely shells and without some substance behind it, you're only deluding yourself in the medium to long term.

TFH

TFH,

You paint a picture that I see all too often. Bleach blonde wanabees driving X5s etc, who look like they think they own the world. Rather than feeling jealous, I look at them and try to work out why they do this. Driving round in a £60k metal box, that`s far from environmentally sound, does not make me think these people of superior to me, even though I`m sure that`s what they are trying to do. I just carry on in my "old banger", knowing that it`s paid for, and what little I did pay for it means that I don`t have an overdraft or debt. I wonder how may of the Q7/X5/Range Rover Sport brigade can say the same ?

IN A FRACTIONAL RESERVE SYSTEM, IT IS YOUR DUTY TO BE OVERDRAWN.

Saving is like giving the banksters more to play with.

Save elsewhere ;) (in tangibles!)

My feeling is the bankers are being cautious ATM they are desperately building up reserves ready for a future more relaxed lending spree at higher profit margins....buyer beware. ;)

Some age-old bubbles are being blown hard here aren't they? Envy, class obsession, self righteousness, inverted snobbery...

It's a shame that this is such a pervasive undertone on this site, where so much good information and debate can be found.

TFH,

You paint a picture that I see all too often. Bleach blonde wanabees driving X5s etc, who look like they think they own the world. Rather than feeling jealous, I look at them and try to work out why they do this. Driving round in a £60k metal box, that`s far from environmentally sound, does not make me think these people of superior to me, even though I`m sure that`s what they are trying to do. I just carry on in my "old banger", knowing that it`s paid for, and what little I did pay for it means that I don`t have an overdraft or debt. I wonder how may of the Q7/X5/Range Rover Sport brigade can say the same ?

It's a social disease where I live. I think these women are mostly secretaries-cum(literally)-second wives for the spiv banskters and such like when you see them with their blokes.

I also think they're very thick hence copying each other to such a degree. The only individuality is how much over 50% of their faces are covered by the WAG wannabee sunglasses, worn 365 days a year. Did you know Posh Spice is from Harlow :lol: says it all really.

TFH

It's a social disease where I live. I think these women are mostly secretaries-cum(literally)-second wives for the spiv banskters and such like when you see them with their blokes.

I also think they're very thick hence copying each other to such a degree. The only individuality is how much over 50% of their faces are covered by the WAG wannabee sunglasses, worn 365 days a year. Did you know Posh Spice is from Harlow :lol: says it all really.

TFH

I see an abundance of this species around Solihull, Sutton Coldfield, Knowle, Henley In Arden etc.

TFH

Do you think they look down on you?

I just carry on in my "old banger", knowing that it`s paid for, and what little I did pay for it means that I don`t have an overdraft or debt. I wonder how may of the Q7/X5/Range Rover Sport brigade can say the same ?

Probably a lot of them. A lot of people have just got more money than you. You'd think the same watching me drive by, and not that it's any of your business, but I am not in any debt. You would judge me by my car as I sail past, whereas I would pay your old banger no attention at all. Not because it's an old banger and that makes me better than you, but because Im not as judgemental as you and know outward appearances mean little.

It sounds to me like you are more concerned with image than 'they' are. Nobody is watching you, nobody cares.

To be honest I sometimes run an overdraft on my current account, because I am such a vicious saver.

I always pay into my pension, savings accounts and share investments first. Bills etc come second. I do avoid paying excess interest though as clearly that would be stupid.

But having a low current account balance is quite a good discipline, I try and forget the fact I've got several hundred k in the STR fund, well over £100k in pension and £50k in shares and liquid savings.

Its too easy to spend it if its in the current account.

That said, I doubt most of the people you see in that position operate the way I do. They probably have everything in the house, which is not great if you are in negative equity.

It's a shame that this is such a pervasive undertone on this site, where so much good information and debate can be found.

It's not really an undertone! :lol:

I don't care what anybody does, as long as their actions don't impact too hard on myself. The last 10 years have been a credit *****fest beyond all *****fests..... this has had a serious impact on the quality of my life as I now can't afford to exist! To borrow money just to spend on crap so you can smack people around the face with it is just plain wrong, but to borrow money to create real wealth that's different!

In GC1, it was the XR3 softop set, or the very large Volvo estate set.

all the ladies were done up to the nines with the latest hairdos...the latest buggies and the latest "look at me" bling.

Nothings changed...its just human nature.

come the next boom, they'll be there again....the latest electric bus, the latest hairdos, probably a shellsuit, and hover buggy with quad airbags for the sprogs.

I don't care what anybody does, as long as their actions don't impact too hard on myself. The last 10 years have been a credit *****fest beyond all *****fests..... this has had a serious impact on the quality of my life as I now can't afford to exist! To borrow money just to spend on crap so you can smack people around the face with it is just plain wrong, but to borrow money to create real wealth that's different!

How do you feel about buying cheap products made by cheap labour from abroad? Is that OK?

Some age-old bubbles are being blown hard here aren't they? Envy, class obsession, self righteousness, inverted snobbery...

Debate this........

I`m "working class" and relatively poor (judging by my method of transport and the size/quality of my dwelling). You can call me an "inverted snob", envious, or class obsessed if you like. I may, or may not be guilty of any of the accusations, but one thing I`m pretty sure of is that my carbon footprint is very small compared with the Cayenne Driving, 6 Bedroom Detached "owning" with 3 kids at private school.

I`m no tree-hugger. I`m not class obsessed. What i think I am is reasonably sensible, with an eye on the bigger picture. I see oil running out one day. I see climate change as a (possible) real problem. I see people driving very large vehicles when a smaller, more efficient model would be just as practicle.

Can of worms : opened.

In GC1, it was the XR3 softop set, or the very large Volvo estate set.

all the ladies were done up to the nines with the latest hairdos...the latest buggies and the latest "look at me" bling.

Nothings changed...its just human nature.

come the next boom, they'll be there again....the latest electric bus, the latest hairdos, probably a shellsuit, and hover buggy with quad airbags for the sprogs.

I think that will probably be just an Essex phenomenon.

I think that will probably be just an Essex phenomenon.

could be, but a shellsuit with airbags?....could be Ive just stumbled onto something

Debate this........

I`m "working class" and relatively poor (judging by my method of transport and the size/quality of my dwelling). You can call me an "inverted snob", envious, or class obsessed if you like. I may, or may not be guilty of any of the accusations, but one thing I`m pretty sure of is that my carbon footprint is very small compared with the Cayenne Driving, 6 Bedroom Detached "owning" with 3 kids at private school.

I`m no tree-hugger. I`m not class obsessed. What i think I am is reasonably sensible, with an eye on the bigger picture. I see oil running out one day. I see climate change as a (possible) real problem. I see people driving very large vehicles when a smaller, more efficient model would be just as practicle.

Can of worms : opened.

Be careful, they don't "believe" in climate change on here. They probably don't believe in electricity or, in some cases, even the concept of countries either.

I like the banner in your signature.

I also agree with what you just typed.

+1