House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mega

Busted Dreams, The End Of A "perk Of A Merc"?

Noticed this weeks "Autocar" had a few ads in it for Merc, or this weeks Merc brosure had a bit of Autocar in it!

I bought Autocar for 30 years & i have NEVER seen 20+ Pages of ads for one brand!

Am told BMW in the same boat, has the bubble burst for them?

Mike

I do think the prestige brands have got serious issues as their vehicles offer very little quality/technology wise than much cheaper brands. Now, more than ever, they're just offering social status.

I've had Mercs and Beamers as company cars, E Class and 5 Series. I actually prefer the Mercs by a long way and even more so the diesel variants. That said my latest is my own car an Audi A8 4.2 FSI Quattro which is frankly mental.

tolmol_119645458232776_Audi_A8.jpg

Yes, but your probly NOT a photocopyer salesman?

Am told that because of the low CO2 writedown laws & taxes company car parks are filling with Toyota Prius.

Mike

Yes, but your probly NOT a photocopyer salesman?

Am told that because of the low CO2 writedown laws & taxes company car parks are filling with Toyota Prius.

Mike

That is a fair point. My previous cars all resulted in a negative K tax code and they had smaller engines. I am pretty sure the present beast would have been prohibitive on a company scheme.

I do think the prestige brands have got serious issues as their vehicles offer very little quality/technology wise than much cheaper brands. Now, more than ever, they're just offering social status.

Are you sure?

Guest theboltonfury
Are you sure?

Much as I think he is a berk, didn't Clarkson just drive a big Jag from Switzerland to Blackpool on less than a tank of fuel.

Sounds pretty good to me. I love the new Jags.

Are you sure?

well, with both brands being in the "poor" bracket for reliability recently...yes.

Go to Spain...they are used as taxis, along with Toyotas and Skodas.

Uk, of course, its totally keep up with the Joneses.

Much as I think he is a berk, didn't Clarkson just drive a big Jag from Switzerland to Blackpool on less than a tank of fuel.

Being a berk is what people seem to want.

Anyway, I think it was an old XJ and some time ago.

Yes but how big is the tank on a Jag? :)

Guest theboltonfury
Yes but how big is the tank on a Jag? :)

Big I expect, but still got over a 1000 miles out of it. I'm sure the other cars in the race were pretty small. Not really a program I watch though.

Big I expect, but still got over a 1000 miles out of it. I'm sure the other cars in the race were pretty small. Not really a program I watch though.

I've had 7 Mercs over 17 years.2 190's,2 original C Class, 03 E270CDi,04 220Cdi,and 55 SLK.The E270 got written off by a 17 year old in a head-on but apart from that the only things that went wrong was the heated drivers seat in the SLK,replaced under warranty,and a rear exhaust on one of the C's. probably 500,000 miles between them.