House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
adamX

Visiting Pets

Hello, the following question is to legalities gurus :)

What is exact legal meaning of "no pets allowed" in a renting contract?

Does not mean "no resident pets"? If a cat or a dog comes with friends/relatives and stays overnight (or a couple of nights

per months) in the property can landlord raise issues (legally!) ?

I understand "residency" means at least over 50% of time spending in the property.

So a pet will be considered "living" in the propery if it spends there 17 or more days per months.

Is anyone aware of related legal precedents?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hello, the following question is to legalities gurus :)

What is exact legal meaning of "no pets allowed" in a renting contract?

Does not mean "no resident pets"? If a cat or a dog comes with friends/relatives and stays overnight (or a couple of nights

per months) in the property can landlord raise issues (legally!) ?

I understand "residency" means at least over 50% of time spending in the property.

So a pet will be considered "living" in the propery if it spends there 17 or more days per months.

Is anyone aware of related legal precedents?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

The no pets rule is on shaky legal ground anyway thanks to EU law however ulimately you at the tenant are responsible for looking after the property in "a tenant like manner" so if your visiting dog scrapes big holes in the door as they do or a cat scratches the door frames then it will be you who pays for the repair if the contract says no pets

In summary bring pets in the house by all means as the is no enforceable law that says you can not but you must accept responsibility for any damage done which might include extra cleaning to remove cat hair for example

We had a nutter of a LL and still let our parents bring their dogs to stay

I know a couple who have a dog who rents in inner london, they are having terrible trouble finding another place and even considered relocating to a seaside town

In a block of flats you as a renter would have to comply with terms of the buildings freeholder lease regardless, EU law only applies to the AST not that as far as I aware, 99% of the time there is a no pets clause or with permission of the managment company..your landlord has to answer to them. Beware of having to move even if the landlord allows it if other residents complain and force the issue and make him to give you notice.

Cats seem to be ok by and large especially in ground floor flats but if would be daft to have a dog locked up in a flat all day, you would soon be viewed as the 'neigbour from hell' as it yapped for you

Often you see pets allowed with permission of the landlord but bans those which will cause "undue noise"...basically saying no dogs allowed. EU law easily outdone....

Best bet is a house..but then more expensive that a flat

Edited by mercsl

As a couple with a labrador retriever our lives have been hell here trying to find a place- we brought our dog over from USA with the intention of buying house in 2007 - THANKS TO ALL HERE i got wise and we pulled out of buying BUT now we our forced to rent in council estates that seem to be the only places open to dogs. We both work in central London, we were in a rented maisonette in ST albans but the commute was evil , so now we are seriously planning on moving back now as we realize that houses will never come down and have grown tired of this quality of life hit .

No , we can't just ditch the dog, it's a responsibility thing.

So i hope you truly do just have a pet visiting , not trying to get around the contract because the LL's here are heartless B'stards -( most of the ones we've encountered anyway ) good luck !!

As a couple with a labrador retriever our lives have been hell here trying to find a place- we brought our dog over from USA with the intention of buying house in 2007 - THANKS TO ALL HERE i got wise and we pulled out of buying BUT now we our forced to rent in council estates that seem to be the only places open to dogs. We both work in central London, we were in a rented maisonette in ST albans but the commute was evil , so now we are seriously planning on moving back now as we realize that houses will never come down and have grown tired of this quality of life hit .

No , we can't just ditch the dog, it's a responsibility thing.

So i hope you truly do just have a pet visiting , not trying to get around the contract because the LL's here are heartless B'stards -( most of the ones we've encountered anyway ) good luck !!

How the **** does a working couple get to the top of the council housing list?

tim

Edited by tim123

I said we rent from a LL ( slumlord ) in a council estate - and unfortunately its not the nicest of places - stabbings / screaming neighbors / drug dealers hanging in front with baseball bats - but this is the only place that would allow our dog, that is within zone 2

- i should have said EX council flat i guess

on a high skill visa without ILR we receive NO housing /wage/tax/dependents benefits'

quote name='tim123' date='Aug 22 2009, 05:39 PM' post='2095577']

How the **** does a working couple get to the top of the council housing list?

tim

The problem is that these f***g LLs are trying to control every aspect of you life. And most tenants are so threatened that they submit to most stupid demands of LLs. Tenants must always fight back, legally obviously.

For example, in many cases LLs demand money for defleaing. Tenants however must insist on case going to court. Then LLs will need to pay for expert opinion and collection of evidences that there are fleas in the house caused by pets.

I am reading messages from tenants on this forum for last two years, And I am surprised how timid most of them are. Not tenants must be afraid of LLs but LLs of tenants!

LLs are just parasites and we must treat them as parasites.

The problem is that these f***g LLs are trying to control every aspect of you life. And most tenants are so threatened that they submit to most stupid demands of LLs. Tenants must always fight back, legally obviously.

For example, in many cases LLs demand money for defleaing. Tenants however must insist on case going to court. Then LLs will need to pay for expert opinion and collection of evidences that there are fleas in the house caused by pets.

I would have thought that defleeing was a small part of the cleaning required after two dogs have lived in a house.

I very much doubt that you can have two dogs in a house without it reeking of dogs when you move out and the landlord is perfectly entitled to charge for the costs of this (even including any loss of rent).

And if you live with the dogs you wont notice it, as you get used to it, but everybody viewing it will

tim

Edited by tim123

I am reading messages from tenants on this forum for last two years, And I am surprised how timid most of them are. Not tenants must be afraid of LLs but LLs of tenants!

LLs are just parasites and we must treat them as parasites.

Is it really any wonder that some LL's won't accept pets!!

In my experience those that don't take pets (not many that don't in my office BTW) don't have a problem with the pets - just the owners. Is it really too much to expect for a responsible pet owner to deflea the house and clean the carpets for the benefit of the next tenant that may not have pets?

We don't take dogs where the dog is home alone all day. We don't take cats on busy main roads. None of my business I know but go figure.

If LL's are such parasites then just don't rent.

Can anyone offer advice about leaseholds and pets?

We are living in a family members empty ground floor flat. Almost rent free, whilst saving for a house deposit. We have found out that the building lease has a no animals without management companies permission covenant, which we did not realise when we moved in. We have 2 cats that live totally indoors and cause no nuisance. The management company has been very reasonable and granted permission for 6 months. However the opportunity is too good to give up after six months especially as we wish to buy in London (circa 2012?) and need all the deposit we can get.

The flat owner is happy for us to stay and 'fight' our cause. Already on this forum I have seen EU law mentioned etc etc. Whats the worst they could do to us? How can they enforce such a rule? Any hints on arguing our case?

I believe in being reasonable but as the cats do not cause a nuisance I do not think it fair to kick us out the building on that basis.

Thanks for any advice.

I would have thought that defleeing was a small part of the cleaning required after two dogs have lived in a house.

I very much doubt that you can have two dogs in a house without it reeking of dogs when you move out and the landlord is perfectly entitled to charge for the costs of this (even including any loss of rent).

And if you live with the dogs you wont notice it, as you get used to it, but everybody viewing it will

tim

Agreed. We've just got 2 kittens, but I've told the LL I'll pay for the carpets to be propertly cleaned and for defleaing treatment when I leave (don't expect to do that for quite a few years anyway as we really like the place).

It seems fair enough. I don't agree with LLs saying you aren't allowed pets, but at the same time I realise they can make additional mess and its reasonable for the LL to ask that it is properly cleaned up afterwards.