House Price Crash Forum

Would You Invest In Newmarket?

Gargan Mou

HOLA441

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am very happy I found it. Considering the high property prices in Cambridge and some of the surrounding villages, cities such as Ely and Newmarket look like good options.

Especially properties in Newmarket have much better prices compared to Cambridge. I think I would position myself as a bull and think this is a good time to buy. But I am not very familiar with Newmarket. Can anyone explain the price difference and whether Newmarket is a good alternative to Cambridge? What is the rental market like and what about capital growth for a well maintained Victorian house?

Any help, ideas and insights are highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Newmarket is a horse racing town, the local economy is based around and dependant on this industry. Its not known as a great area to live to be honest. Ely is really nice.

Thanks dapperdave. I didn't know much about Newmarket but that is the feeling I got: not a great place to be living in. I don't know why.

As you say Ely is a really nice place and the area around the Cathedral particularly beautiful. I am wondering how it must be to live on a streets such as Broad Street? The Victorians there look very nice. Prices in Ely are much more reasonable compared to Cambridge and the good train connection between Ely and Cambridge / London make it a good commuter city.

HOLA444
Thanks dapperdave. I didn't know much about Newmarket but that is the feeling I got: not a great place to be living in. I don't know why.

As you say Ely is a really nice place and the area around the Cathedral particularly beautiful. I am wondering how it must be to live on a streets such as Broad Street? The Victorians there look very nice. Prices in Ely are much more reasonable compared to Cambridge and the good train connection between Ely and Cambridge / London make it a good commuter city.

Ely is turning into a "little Cambridge" and that's not a positive comparison. I.e. Lots of new build crap, zero community and a lot of people with a bad "Me! Me! Me!" attitude. Shame really as I was quite keen on Ely a few years ago but now I'm not so sure!

I've seen a couple of properties in Newmarket that have took my fancy. There's a lot for sale from the US Airforce in decent areas that look pretty good. However, although I've got friends in Newmarket who love the place and have had no problems I've been driving around the area, as you say, there's just something off putting about the place. I can't put my finger on it but I'm just not keen on it as an area.

• 1 month later...
HOLA445

We had found a nice house in Ely, which we liked. But the survey showed some problems and we decided to pull out. I am still thinking about Newmarket. Yes, there is something off putting about Newmarket, but the houses seem to be priced well and the properties are really nice too. Maybe Newmarket is outside the Cambridge bubble?

House prices are going up in Cambridge at an amazing rate. Or is it me that feels this way? Hm?!

• 9 months later...
HOLA446
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA447

newmarket is definately better than ely.

if i were investing in that area i would look at the surrounding villages, as i think you will get a better price when you sell.

i don't think by being in a village it deters people from renting, so have a look at some village places and compare.