House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LuckyOne

I Am Becoming More Amused Than Angry .....

The two coolest towns on the planet as far as I am concerned are LA and London.

If I wanted to spend something like £ 1.1 m to live within commuting distance of either city centre, the best options that I can find are .....

http://www.coldwellbanker.com/servlet/Prop...ty&brand=CB

and ....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...00%26index%3D30

I am sorry, but I do not see that the "cash rish, savvy global buyers" are going to prop up London prices in the face of the obviously weak fundamentals in light of the choices that they have in a global, competitve market .......

If I wanted to spend something like £ 1.1 m to live within commuting distance of either city centre, the best options that I can find are .....

and ....

I am sorry, but I do not see that the "cash rish, savvy global buyers" are going to prop up London prices in the face of the obviously weak fundamentals in light of the choices that they have in a global, competitve market .......

Wow, now think about what you could rent in the us ;)

mmmmmmmm cheese.

I saw a lot of CheeseHeads in action at an NFL game in Buffalo a decade ago.

I am still not over my fear of groups of people who walk around with chunks of cheese on their heads .....

Westlake Village isn't really commuting distance for all of LA. The Valley... maybe... if you learn to love the 101. No way you could drive into Santa Monica or El Segundo every day without going mental. I used to live in Agoura Hills which is near there and not many brave souls commuted any substantial depth into LA.

This was inspired by the following exchange with an EA in a posh bit of the home counties .....

I cannot tell you how much they piss me off ........

********************************************************************************

Sent: August-20-09 5:36 PM

To: LuckyOne

Subject: Property Search

Dear Lucky

We are in the process of updating our mailing list and wondered if you are still looking for a property or not.

Please can you let me know.

Kind regards

Posh

Sent: August-20-09 9:01 PM

To: Posh EA Bird

Subject: RE: Property Search

Hello,

We are still interested in buying a house.

I expect that the conditions that prevailed in November 2008 to March 2009 will prevail again.

I suspect that the uptick in the market from April 2009 until August 2009 in this country will be temporary and that this market will align itself with its global peers again shortly.

I will revisit the market here in and in California this autumn and winter but expect to find better value by renting here and buying overseas.

Thanks

Lucky

********************************************************************************

Edited by LuckyOne

Westlake Village isn't really commuting distance for all of LA. The Valley... maybe... if you learn to love the 101. No way you could drive into Santa Monica or El Segundo every day without going mental. I used to live in Agoura Hills which is near there and not many brave souls commuted any substantial depth into LA.

Fair enough.

That said, do you honestly think that it is massively worse than trying to drive from Harpenden to the City?

Fair enough.

That said, do you honestly think that it is massively worse than trying to drive from Harpenden to the City?

I think the difference is that you could get the train if you lived in Harpenden and worked in London - not an option in Westlake.

Burbank or Glendale would be a better comparison, IMO.

I think the difference is that you could get the train if you lived in Harpenden and worked in London - not an option in Westlake.

Burbank or Glendale would be a better comparison, IMO.

Again, a fair comment.

At the same time, I find it a bit strange that people in this country are willing to concede their freedom so easily and accept the notion that the only way to get to work is on an overcrowed, hot, smelly, unreliable train compared to a comfortable, reliable car.

I freely admit to being very old fashioned but in many other places in the world, taking a train to work is a sign of weakness rather than strength.

The most valid comparison in my view is on a like for like basis with a similar quality of life. Doing well enough in life to take a train to work from Harpenden is not the same as doing well enough in life to drive to work in SoCal.

Again, a fair comment.

At the same time, I find it a bit strange that people in this country are willing to concede their freedom so easily and accept the notion that the only way to get to work is on an overcrowed, hot, smelly, unreliable train compared to a comfortable, reliable car.

I freely admit to being very old fashioned but in many other places in the world, taking a train to work is a sign of weakness rather than strength.

The most valid comparison in my view is on a like for like basis with a similar quality of life. Doing well enough in life to take a train to work from Harpenden is not the same as doing well enough in life to drive to work in SoCal.

It's got nothing to do with strength or weakness, but commuting any distance by car in LA every working day is f***ing miserable. First, the traffic is f***ed. Second, the majority of people there are horrible drivers because they come from places where a donkey is the dominant transportation technology.

Where are you going to be working in LA? If we know that we can do a meaningful comparison on places with a feasible commute distance.

Well, that certainly made me raise my eyebrows.

It's got nothing to do with strength or weakness, but commuting any distance by car in LA every working day is f***ing miserable. First, the traffic is f***ed. Second, the majority of people there are horrible drivers because they come from places where a donkey is the dominant transportation technology.

Where are you going to be working in LA? If we know that we can do a meaningful comparison on places with a feasible commute distance.

I am old enough that work is not a requirement in either LA or London.

I do agree that drivers in LA are terrible. That said, I have also noticed a significant deterioration in driving standards in London over the last decade.

The donkey drivers seem to be going global .......

Well, that certainly made me raise my eyebrows.

I would be interested in hearing why.

One of the strange things that has happened here is that there has been a significant compression in lifestyles between the haves and the have nots.

The relationship between success and privilige has been distorted here compared to America.

This may be a sign of a maturing democracy or it may be a sign of creeping social engineering.

I have not yet worked out the real answer yet but I certainly have an intermediate opinion ......

I would be interested in hearing why.

It just seemed a very strange thing to say: "...in many other places in the world, taking a train to work is a sign of weakness rather than strength." The words "weakness" and "strength" aren't words it would have occurred to me to use in connection with the means you use to get to work. Does anyone in the UK really regard taking the train as a sign of strength (or indeed of weakness)? It really did make me raise my eyebrows. I find it hard to imagine how getting on a train would make anyone seem weak in any way. If you'd said that driving a car was a sign of prosperity or independence or something then I'd have been able to see what you were getting at, but strength and weakness? What kind of strength?

Edit: you don't happen to be German do you?

Edited by Scunnered

and ....

Or how about where I used to live, La Verne, 30 minutes drive from downtown LA:

Enter ZIP: 91750

Plenty of really good properties for £500K and under...

Edited by webchat

It just seemed a very strange thing to say: "...in many other places in the world, taking a train to work is a sign of weakness rather than strength." The words "weakness" and "strength" aren't words it would have occurred to me to use in connection with the means you use to get to work. Does anyone in the UK really regard taking the train as a sign of strength (or indeed of weakness)? It really did make me raise my eyebrows. I find it hard to imagine how getting on a train would make anyone seem weak in any way. If you'd said that driving a car was a sign of prosperity or independence or something then I'd have been able to see what you were getting at, but strength and weakness? What kind of strength?

Edit: you don't happen to be German do you?

Certainly not German .....

I grew up in the third world. A measure of success when I was growing up was to be able to get to work in your own car rather than having to take the bus / "taxi" / train. I didn't make my point at all well. In many parts of the world, socialized transport is seen as a sign of economic weakness rather than economic strength.

I am clearly guilting of seeing the world though the lens of my own experience but I don't see taking a train to work as a sign of progress, especially given the deplorable level of service and the ridiculous prices in this country.

Again, a fair comment.

Very.