House Price Crash Forum

Benefit Busters 9pm C4

So Joeschmo, let me guess about you, you're slim, good looking, all your own hair, perfect teeth, "work" in an office, 2 weeks in the Seychelles twice a year..............

And yet you have loads of time to swan around an internet forum talking sh*t...............

I guess you either live at home with your mum, or you're the young biatch for the man you described above.

(fag)

Thats unnecessary. True he comes up with some silly things sometimes, but thats no reason at all for calling him a fag, just because he (says) he is gay.

I'm sorry, but that sad kind of name calling (which you may expect from an 8 year old), just discredits any weight your arguement may have had.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats unnecessary. True he comes up with some silly things sometimes, but thats no reason at all for calling him a fag, just because he (says) he is gay.

I'm sorry, but that sad kind of name calling (which you may expect from an 8 year old), just discredits any weight your arguement may have had.

They are getting £100 per ' service user' on their scheme! they seem to get more money if they get a temporary job for a week or two, just enough time to mess their benefits up. Questions should be asked- basically £100 per week for an over crowded creche for the great unwashed.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/benefit-busters

Unemployment is rife in Hull, but for one company business is booming: A4E has won the lucrative contract to help get the long-term unemployed back to work.

Mark Pilkington is an ex-soldier who hasn't worked for 10 years. He welcomes help and within a fortnight he finds a job. But the joy of receiving his first pay cheque is short-lived; after just four weeks a business downturn results in Mark being laid off.

Facing a return to A4E and potentially a four-week wait to restart his benefit payments, Mark begins to wonder if there is more security in a life on benefits.

It appears to be a shockingly common perception amongst the clients at A4E, who are at the mercy of an increasingly casual labour market.

The programme showed him back in the Jobcentre telling the advisor that he had applied for the job, she made a phone call and found out he had gotthe job. She then did a "back to work" calculation, to tell him how much his pay would be and how much "tax credit" he would get. Why did she do this? because she was a caring/sharing advisor? NO. It was because she could then claim a "sign off" in her stats. Take it form soomeone who knows, this is the way DWP figures are made.

I couldn't understand why a4e were getting paid to get people into unreliable, short term agency work. They should only be paid if the job is permanent and lasts at least 12 months. A tall order in Hull it seems.

Indeed why aren't these employment agencies taking on the roll of inducting these people into work rather than the taxpayer? They should be told to stick their "zero hours" contracts up their backsides.

Worse the head of A4E was at a loss when confronted with the unreliability of employment agency work. She said she might take it up with government. Might? Other than that she was lost for words. She's has made a fortune, "churning" the unemployed this way.

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000
Saw a programme on Neets some time ago, where one of them said one reason he couldn't get a job was because he couldn't afford a new shirt for each interview.

Nobody suggested the weird concepts of washing or ironing.

Our man last night got £90 but looked like he probably got a fair bit of change left over!

Last night's folk did seem like rather hopeless cases though. It was quite telling that the gardening man was looking at the job board and saying 'bar work, no way...retail, no, don't want that' and the 21 year old with the staffy said 'I ain't working in a newsagent or owt like that'.

I had to laugh at 'I'm not being feminist or anything, but care work's for women really in't it?'

and

'I were polite to 'im cos I respeck me elders...but if e talks like that to me again e'll get the top of me 'ead' followed by his girlfriend saying 'Aye an ah'll smash 'is face in an'all'.

I couldn't understand why a4e were getting paid to get people into unreliable, short term agency work. They should only be paid if the job is permanent and lasts at least 12 months. A tall order in Hull it seems.

Indeed why aren't these employment agencies taking on the roll of inducting these people into work rather than the taxpayer? They should be told to stick their "zero hours" contracts up their backsides.

Worse the head of A4E was at a loss when confronted with the unreliability of employment agency work. She said she might take it up with government. Might? Other than that she was lost for words. She's has made a fortune, "churning" the unemployed this way.

From what we have seen A4e is clearly a mal-investment of taxpayers' money with very little (if any) net effect on unemployment.

During the program it was stated that a further £700,000,000 government contract was forthcoming.

Will there be any critical assessment of whether this (effectively borrowed) money is well spent?

Our man last night got £90 but looked like he probably got a fair bit of change left over!

Last night's folk did seem like rather hopeless cases though. It was quite telling that the gardening man was looking at the job board and saying 'bar work, no way...retail, no, don't want that' and the 21 year old with the staffy said 'I ain't working in a newsagent or owt like that'.

I had to laugh at 'I'm not being feminist or anything, but care work's for women really in't it?'

and

'I were polite to 'im cos I respeck me elders...but if e talks like that to me again e'll get the top of me 'ead' followed by his girlfriend saying 'Aye an ah'll smash 'is face in an'all'.

What worries me is the thought that that these aren't the most hopeless cases, but an example of a very large proportion of today's Britain.

Nobody wants to be the person who cleans toilets or flips burgers for a living but at the end of the day if there's no other jobs available you take what you can get.

Not so in Britain today, it's a case of I don't fancy doing it so I'll choose not to and the rest of you can support me instead.

What worries me is the thought that that these aren't the most hopeless cases, but an example of a very large proportion of today's Britain.

Nobody wants to be the person who cleans toilets or flips burgers for a living but at the end of the day if there's no other jobs available you take what you can get.

Not so in Britain today, it's a case of I don't fancy doing it so I'll choose not to and the rest of you can support me instead.

And we'll just get some foreigners in to do it instead and then complain they are taking all the jobs.

And we'll just get some foreigners in to do it instead and then complain they are taking all the jobs.

Would you take one of these low paid jobs? Would you be prepared to share a bedroom with several strangers to get by?

Many immigrants have a different motivation. Rough it in the UK for a while, earn some money and go back. These jobs are not secure positions and lead to nothing better at the end of them.

All of the people on last night's programme, whilst not hopeless, were definitely 'problem' cases. The gardening man, while relatively bright, obviously had 'issues' that were preventing him holding down a job - probably a combination of drink/drugs and a bad temper. The man who got thrown out for writing BNP on a folder was obviously a bit touched and would probably have been institutionalised 50 years ago. The staffy man just seemed to me what used to be known as 'workshy'.

So the programme this week didn't really tell us anything new, as types like this have always been around. It's nothing to do with the economy, as they were all out of work even when the economy was booming. What will be interesting is when 'normal' people start being in this situation.

Would you take one of these low paid jobs? Would you be prepared to share a bedroom with several strangers to get by?

Many immigrants have a different motivation. Rough it in the UK for a while, earn some money and go back. These jobs are not secure positions and lead to nothing better at the end of them.

I have in the past but no, I couldn't do it forever. Fair point about the immigrants, but not all will return hence the problem. The problem is the low wages caused by high taxation and lack of job security. People would be willing to do shitty jobs if paid a decent wage.

This is a very valid point. For many immigrants, the money they will earn doing low paid poor jobs will by a kings ransom back in their home country, so they are prepared to rough it for a while, to save a stash and go back. Many also stay only long enough to earn their money without paying any tax. However people living in the UK permanently have to pay all the associated taxes and pay for long term living costs. If doing these poor jobs meant someone could save a good stash of money and then go and do something else, there would be native people queuing up to do them, but at the end of the day, the playing field is not level.

Did I mishear last night, or is there really a £100 one-off payment to the jobseeker when he / she is successful in getting a job? I seem to remember the words, "It's a bit of an incentive".

Personally I had quite a bit of sympathy for the gardening bloke last night, albeit not the brightest, overly hot headed and overly picky in what he wanted to do. I thought it kind of sweet that he treated his missus to a meal (Chinese take-out, "with noodles and everything"), and a hideous red hair dye. But it made him feel like he'd done something worthwhile.

On the other hand, telling the boss to go and ****** himself on receiving his notice almost certainly ensured that he won't be invited back again if fortunes recover.

This is a very valid point. For many immigrants, the money they will earn doing low paid poor jobs will by a kings ransom back in their home country, so they are prepared to rough it for a while, to save a stash and go back. Many also stay only long enough to earn their money without paying any tax. However people living in the UK permanently have to pay all the associated taxes and pay for long term living costs. If doing these poor jobs meant someone could save a good stash of money and then go and do something else, there would be native people queuing up to do them, but at the end of the day, the playing field is not level.

Fair enough. Which is why we need proper immigration controls to prevent an influx of unskilled workers (we have plenty of unskilled natives in this country there is no need to import them) and assist the low paid through lower taxation and lower accommodation costs.

Hmmm. Quite a bit of prejudice on here for 'Mark' the gardener.

He wanted to work for God's sake, that's all. So what if he had issues? I saw a man who was performing for his employer and happy to buy his wife some hair dye and a takeaway, God bless him.

If I were an employer I'd give him a job straight away.

Hmmm. Quite a bit of prejudice on here for 'Mark' the gardener.

He wanted to work for God's sake, that's all. So what if he had issues? I saw a man who was performing for his employer and happy to buy his wife some hair dye and a takeaway, God bless him.

If I were an employer I'd give him a job straight away.

To be fair we didn't get the employers side of it did we. How do we know that this guy was performing? If he was doing a great job why wasn't he one of the ones who got kept on?