House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tomandlu

Al Megrahi - Should He Have Been Released?

I suppose it mostly depends on whether or not he actually carried out the bombing.

Might have been more interesting to split the poll for

yes - on compassionate grounds or yes - innocent anyway.

He looks like an extra from Scarface or something. Man should get a haircut and new specs.

I think if a lot of people had their way he'd already be dead and we wouldnt find ourselves in this difficult diplomatic position.

Did he do the deed? How should any of us know?

Did he get a fair trial? Not a chance!

If the convictions in all those IRA cases were unsafe due to being politicised and the accused being a bit foreign, this one was 100 times more so.

OTOH, we should not be spending any taxpayers money on that train robber or the drug smuggler in recent news. The big difference being that their guilt is not in question, neither are their subsequent actions to avoid punishment.

Isn't the Whisky industry already suffering? I expect the yanks will stop importing as much. In fact, I expect a lot less tourism to the highlands from our cousins over the pond now.

forget al, did any of you listen to the dude that delivered the speech!? no more than..... three words at..... a time .....

Like the last speaker of the par-lia-ment, another scot who finds the need to speak to the public like they are speaking at assembly in front of a class of 4 year olds.... The patronising tone infuriates me! Where do these people learn to speak like that, and why does no-one mention how stupid it makes them look!

Sorry to trivialise a serious thread, but Megrahi looks like he got his wardrobe advise from ChavsRus.co.uk :lol: I'm ashamed of myself but couldn't resist. :ph34r:

That's mild for this site. ;)

Talking of which ...

What's the betting agents provocateurs are right now ensuring there will be some twits waving "Welcome Home" banners at the airport when he arrives back in Libya?

With a few in English, simple enough for Daily Mail readers, and well-placed for the cameras.

Guest happy?
Sorry to trivialise a serious thread, but Megrahi looks like he got his wardrobe advise from ChavsRus.co.uk :lol: I'm ashamed of myself but couldn't resist. :ph34r:

Not from Tony Gauci then?

He should have been released, IMV, as he was innocent not because he was dying.

That isn't the reason he was released though.

As it stands, they have let a convicted prisoner, found guilty of murdering 200+ people, out of jail due to his health.

What kind of precedent does this set?

If they had gone through with the appeal, and found him not guilty, and released him, then there would not be the furore coming from America.

That isn't the reason he was released though.

As it stands, they have let a convicted prisoner, found guilty of murdering 200+ people, out of jail due to his health.

What kind of precedent does this set?

Did it with the Ronnie Biggs only last week.

He should have been released, IMV, as he was innocent not because he was dying.

+1

Convicted on flimsy evidence, always claimed he was innocent, forced to "accept" his crimes to get parole.

They needed a fall guy to calm the waters so a big oil deal could go through.

Guest X-QUORK

I'm glad he was released for the simple reason that the US Secretary Of State thought she could bully the Scottish into following the wishes of the US. Good for the Jocks.

Guest happy?
These are the only people who will vote The Gordon of Brownshire. He should have been executed a long time back. Typical of Britain.

Except that it was the SNP who released him - another example of English parochialism - presumably like all Chinese all Scottish political parties look the same to you.

Typical little Englander.

You could do with a fourth option - they only let him out to stop the appeal.

And that leaves the question of what exactly was going to come out at the appeal that worried them so much that they have run the risk of upsetting the Americans by letting him out.

By fluke of Scottish Law the appeal would have not stopped in the event of his sudden death so this was the only way out

I shall now go back to my tinfoil hat :ph34r:

I voted 'no he shouldn't be released' on the assumtion that he was guilty of the Lockerbie bombing.

There seems to be some doubt over the safety of the verdict, however. If he is indeed guilty, then he deserves his last months of life to be full of pain and suffering. If he isn't guilty, then his story is a tragedy in itself and the real perpetrators of the Lockerbie atrocity will have gone unpunished.

Except that it was the SNP who released him - another example of English parochialism - presumably like all Chinese all Scottish political parties look the same to you.

Typical little Englander.

Yes and you sound like a man with a chip on your shoulder. Victor Meldrew springs to mind.

In fact if you bothered to do some research you would find the UK government were actually involved in this decision alongside the SNP.

So get your facts right first little man, before getting ready to throw people your foul insults!

I suppose it mostly depends on whether or not he actually carried out the bombing.

I'm not convinced he did, but even if his conviction was sound, shouldn't we show our moral values by granting clemency when circumstances dictate?