House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

athom

A-levels: Students Celebrate Record Results

Each year, the improvements are put down to the students working harder.

Given I took my A-levels 21 years ago, by reverse extrapolation I must have been a right lazy c**t.

Just how the Ed Balls full frontal nude photograph came to be attached to every results sheet is not yet clear...

A lot of it is course work assessed, so a lot of 'help' is available. No 'all in one' 2 x 3hr papers at the end of 2 years any more. Whether or not you agree with this, i.e. reducing the all-out pressure on 1 exam, it is bound to result in raised grades.

25% with As is ridiculous. How can universities select the most apt for their courses when 1 in 4 have got an A?

(/ bitter student who took 4 in 1982 when they hard, you know, eh oop / end bitter student)

There's three sets of conflicting interests involved in A-level results

Universities - who want the results to be as spread as wide as possible, to differentiate the best candidates

Pupils - who want to get A's for themselves and everyone else to fail miserably ;-)

Schools - who want everyone to get A+++***squared so they look good and don't get rumblings of inspections

The schools are winning.

Grade inflation, set a target and people will try and meet it.

They will do everything in there power to do so and this is the result. The kids are doing what is asked of them, the system if flawed as only success counts.

Why not just make it a set percentage.

So 15% get A, 15% get B, 15% get C, 15% get D, 15% get E and 25% fail.

Excluding the ones that don’t even get 10% on the paper so people just going to the exam to get 0 marks don’t impact the results.

That way it would be pretty fixed and clear cut and assuming kids don’t get greatly smarter every year it would be fine to compare one year to another too.

Having said that, in some subjects it would be hard to enforce.

For example the further mathematics exams would need to be extremely hard to gave 70% of people getting less than a B.

schools also lie to students. Slough grammar for example tells its students not to worry about studentdebt and that it will only amount to something like 4k when all is said and done..

Why not just make it a set percentage.

So 15% get A, 15% get B, 15% get C, 15% get D, 15% get E and 25% fail.

Excluding the ones that don’t even get 10% on the paper so people just going to the exam to get 0 marks don’t impact the results.

All exams are standardised, they then make a decision on what percentage students they want to give each grade to.

The fact that they give more As out each year is a political decision.

This doesn't tell you whether the exams are getting easier or not. You need to compare the papers to realise that they

are a lot easier. But that's a bit misleading too. If they didn't give out more As, but made the paper easier, you'd need

to get more correct.

I doubt today's kids are more or less intelligent than before. They're just taught less and given higher grades. But as

the grades are relative, it's somewhat meaningless.

The thing that bugs me...

When anyone who came out of the system decades ago criticises the current system, the current student take umbrage.

What we are actually trying to point out is that the system is FAILING THEM and a gazillion A** all -round is NOT in their (or the countrys) interest.

The sad thing is that they can but do their best, but sadly the general consensus is that it now means nothing.

When anyone who came out of the system decades ago criticises the current system, the current student take umbrage.

What we are actually trying to point out is that the system is FAILING THEM and a gazillion A** all -round is NOT in their (or the countrys) interest.

The sad thing is that they can but do their best, but sadly the general consensus is that it now means nothing.

Even degree's stand for little nowadays. Most people have one. I guess a Masters and PHD will end up that way too.

Very nicely put. When I look at CVs from anyone under 30 I pretty much ignore the A level results as they are not an accurate indicator of intelligence or aptitude. Which is presumably their primary function...... oh well.

It used to be a mortgage that tied poeple into 25 years of work (slavery) to pay off. Now that school-leavers have little hope of getting a mortgage they've added a new rung of debt - student loans, to ensure the next generation of debt slaves. A level pass inflation is akin to liar loans and 125% mortgages - more debt from the bank, and a lifetime of work to pay off.

Well done labour for getting 50% into uni - shame there's no industry left in which to get a job a the end.

+1

Same for 'degrees all round'. When 50 % of people get degrees, that means the average-intelligence person has a degree (actually, those with lower than average intelligence will have one, as not everyone in the top 50% intelligence will study/get one for various reasons). What value a degree when people of below average intelligence have one?

+1

Same for 'degrees all round'. When 50 % of people get degrees, that means the average-intelligence person has a degree (actually, those with lower than average intelligence will have one, as not everyone in the top 50% intelligence will study/get one for various reasons). What value a degree when people of below average intelligence have one?

I keep harping on about this, but no-one is ever interested.

'A' levels are a much higher level of education thna a degree, as they are moderated and a know quantity. A degree can be given without any work, even 'good' universities give them out all the time.

The problem is that most people dont want their degrees diminished by the facts.

If you have a degree, all it proves is that a university is capable of giving you a degree, nothing more :<

Very nicely put. When I look at CVs from anyone under 30 I pretty much ignore the A level results as they are not an accurate indicator of intelligence or aptitude. Which is presumably their primary function...... oh well.

Great! Only I'm 40, did BTEC qualifications prior to getting my SEP engineering degree.. I suspect in this day and age - you dismissing my non-existant A levels would be the least of my worries.