House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Beans

Cracks Appearing In Prince Charles's Dream Village In Poundbury

You can spend all the money under the sun on quality materials, but if you add shoddy craftmanship into the mix, then the outcome is inevitable.

I read that article and it says to me, "someone builds somewhere above average to live and the british smashed it to pieces".

Well done Bwitain.

Perhaps it will dawn on more people even in "sleepy" Dorset that the police are not there for their protection but to enforce the states will.

My nth Dorset town is currently plagued with pricks in lowered Citroen Saxos using the town as a giant go cart track and driving everyone mental until about 4 in the mornng.

The police are "looking in to it". No "safety" cameras in my town, no call for it....... <_<

Well just place them strategically on down hill slopes on A roads to catch people unawares.

So anyone reading this thinking that "the countryside" is the place to be think again.

We're all going down the shitter together people.

The town, the country, the police, the chavs and everyone in between.

Edited by shindigger

I read that article and it says to me, "someone builds somewhere above average to live and the british smashed it to pieces".

Well done Bwitain.

Perhaps it will dawn on more people even in "sleepy" Dorset that the police are not there for their protection but to enforce the states will.

My nth Dorset town is currently plagued with pricks in lowered Citroen Saxos using the town as a giant go cart track and driving everyone mental until about 4 in the mornng.

The police are "looking in to it". No "safety" cameras in my town, no call for it....... <_<

Well just place them strategically on down hill slopes on A roads to catch people unawares.

So anyone reading this thinking that "the countryside" is the place to be think again.

We're all going down the shitter together people.

The town, the country, the police, the chavs and everyone in between.

The boy racers in car parks are just a massive problem everywhere.

Then you read about the huge number of NEETS in the papers. So, despite how impoverished they allegedly all are seemimgly every eighteen year old lad in the country can afford to race a car around car parks all night.

Insurance is very, very pricey/virtually unobtainable for teenager males. I sometimes wonder if they have single mothers who are effectively pressganged into putting them on their policy.

The boy racers in car parks are just a massive problem everywhere.

Then you read about the huge number of NEETS in the papers. So, despite how impoverished they allegedly all are seemimgly every eighteen year old lad in the country can afford to race a car around car parks all night.

Insurance is very, very pricey/virtually unobtainable for teenager males. I sometimes wonder if they have single mothers who are effectively pressganged into putting them on their policy.

Insurance, what? your havin' a laff. They don't have any.

Guest sillybear2

Poundbury is a twee socially engineered Potemkin Village, contrary to what is portrayed there is also a virtual apartheid between the 'private' and 'social housing' residents, the people are essentially just puppets in a giant stage set.

This is Charleston's/Poundbury's new fire station, and everything is like this, trying to be something it's not :-

Firestation.jpg

Meanwhile the following is a firestation designed by Zaha Hadid in Weil am Rhein, Germany :-

13777-004-FB19FB05.jpg

Makes you realise what an opressive place Poundbury really is, sometimes you need a mix of styles, a breath of fresh air.

Edited by sillybear2

Many people complain that the houses and flats are not finished as well as they would have expected. Others say that the layout, which is designed to be pedestrian rather than car friendly, has created dark alleys and corners. There have been problems with vandalism and petty crime.

Perhaps most seriously, there appears to be a growing sense of "them and us" between people who live in the new build on Duchy of Cornwall land, and the older parts of Dorchester, the town from which Poundbury sprawls out.

Ron Rosbrooke, a retired civil engineer who lives in a handsome-looking mock Georgian house, tells how he recently pulled a fan cord in his bathroom and was drenched by water that had collected above in the fake chimney.

Teresa Chapman was working hard to heave her pushchair carrying two-year-old Lily May through the gravel. "It's hard and wearing flip-flops is not a good idea in it – very painful," she says.

Kellie Shapley says in her back yard, the gravel is used by cats as a toilet. "It's a bit smelly out there."

Not far from Pummery Square, which is dominated by the Brownsword market hall, single mother Clare Robson says her rented house is cramped for her three children – and she has a leaky bath – but it is the alleys that she really doesn't like.

"I find them really scary and dangerous. They're great in the day but at night the kids come and bang on the door and then run off down them. I'm frightened to walk them by myself at night." She darts back into her house as a group of young men with a box of beer walks past on the way to the park.

He accepted that more needed to be done to counter the "them and us" feeling, not just between people inside and out the development but between those on the inside who owned their homes and those who lived in social housing. And he said the gravel was an "aggravation".

As usual, those complaining, the social housing.

Where do these kids come from who "They're great in the day but at night the kids come and bang on the door and then run off down them"

Edited by three pint princess

Guest sillybear2

Well, they certainly went to a lot of trouble re-creating slum housing for the unworthy poor residents :-

poundbury_brick_stone_cot_270x300.jpg

I hope they rebelled by doing something completely outrageous, like re-painting their front door blue or something.

Edited by sillybear2

Guest sillybear2
As usual, those complaining, the social housing.

Yes, scum, lets hope Poundbury included some stocks in the masterplan.

pillory_stocks.jpg

Just like the good old days.

Edited by sillybear2

Yes, scum, lets hope Poundbury included some stocks in the masterplan.

Is that a legal requirement ? , perhaps they could build a new house for them ?

The lovingly designed shelters in the parks have all been vandalised. Even a new one on the Great Field – built in consultation with the teenagers who will use it – was full of broken glass, smashed stone and graffiti when the Guardian visited.

Guest sillybear2
Is that a legal requirement ? , perhaps they could build a new house for them ?

Damn kids, who do they think they are, it's a slippery slope you know, it starts off with a few broken bottles here and there and before you know it they have completely taken over the place... enclosed millions of acres of farmland and then beat a King's Ransom in rents and levies out of the peasants on a annual basis for generations to come.

Damn kids, who do they think they are, it's a slippery slope you know, it starts off with a few broken bottles here and there and before you know it they have completely taken over the place... enclosed millions of acres of farmland and then beat a King's Ransom in rents and levies out of the peasants on a annual basis for generations to come.

Not much to fear if they attack their own area. Setting fire to crops perhaps, followed by sitting in a barren field and shouting for food ?

Poundbury is a twee socially engineered Potemkin Village, contrary to what is portrayed there is also a virtual apartheid between the 'private' and 'social housing' residents, the people are essentially just puppets in a giant stage set.

This is Charleston's/Poundbury's new fire station, and everything is like this, trying to be something it's not :-

Firestation.jpg

Meanwhile the following is a firestation designed by Zaha Hadid in Weil am Rhein, Germany :-

13777-004-FB19FB05.jpg

Makes you realise what an opressive place Poundbury really is, sometimes you need a mix of styles, a breath of fresh air.

Bath is the same..the council cannot push anything through that is moderately radical, as they know that the natives will be up in arms if any new development is not Georgian in style. I know its a world heritage site, and it all looks very nice, but everything looks the ruddy same...

Poundbury is a load of pretentious cobblers...when they start building by the A35 bypass, what a lovely view you'll get when you see hundreds of cars queued up, trying to get into Weymouth on a summer morn.. That view is got to be worth the extra hundred grand or two added on to the price.

Edited by zagreb78

Guest sillybear2
Not much to fear if they attack their own area. Setting fire to crops perhaps, followed by sitting in a barren field and shouting for food ?

I'm sure the less than horny handed vassals would soon demand that a Ye Old Mickey Dee's be built in the field :-

2605.jpg

Authentic.

post-13375-1250734950_thumb.jpg