House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

0q0

If You Watch Tv's Bargain Hunt Did You Ever Wonder...

....why they ooorfen seem to buy too high at retail places and then sell low at auction? An obviously flawed model.

But the most startling thing is this: when those same experts are the auctioneers in different programmes, why is it only then that they value things modestly? For when they are out and about as The Esperts they too are happily paying far too much for items. Stunning rational brains only return to them when they take off their Experts role cap.

Do I smell a rat?

Guest X-QUORK
....why they ooorfen seem to buy too high at retail places and then sell low at auction? An obviously flawed model.

But the most startling thing is this: when those same experts are the auctioneers in different programmes, why is it only then that they value things modestly? For when they are out and about as The Esperts they too are happily paying far too much for items. Stunning rational brains only return to them when they take off their Experts role cap.

Do I smell a rat?

The nights I've laid awake worrying over this are almost one.

I have indeed wondered this. The programme is flawed. They should buy at auction then try and sell at an antiques fair. But I think the auction conclusion is more exciting and quicker rather than have a film crew hang around all day. I also suspect that several similar programmes get filmed at once at the auctions (cash in the attic and so on..).

This is sad!

I have indeed wondered this. The programme is flawed. They should buy at auction then try and sell at an antiques fair. But I think the auction conclusion is more exciting and quicker rather than have a film crew hang around all day. I also suspect that several similar programmes get filmed at once at the auctions (cash in the attic and so on..).

This is sad!

But just watch a few episodes and witness the marvel of their brain being strangely absent quite often when they are bargain hunting and yet amazingly sensible about what the prices of 'finds' should be when they sit in the auctioneer's valuation seat.

Methinks that's a tad odd.

If you think about it bargain hunt is the polar opposite of homes under the hammer....

Bargain Hunt

Get some random people

Give them some money

Get the to Buy in the Open Market for too much

Watch how it sells in auction

Homes Under the Hammer

Find some run down houses that is coming up to auction

see who buys them

see if they make a profit selling on the open market.

Anyone for a new programme "Bargain Hunt meets homes under the hammer"?

Guest Skinty

I never cease to to be amazed at how much money tat will go for because it's old.

It's not like we're lacking new tat from China so why people feel the need to add to it with old tat I don't know.

I never cease to to be amazed at how much money tat will go for because it's old.

It's not like we're lacking new tat from China so why people feel the need to add to it with old tat I don't know.

I said the same thing to my wife the other day, cant remember what program we were watching. Just cos its old and the box is in good condition, doesn't mean it isn't tat.