House Price Crash Forum

Price Controls And Food Rationing

punter

HOLA441

Labour wants to 'ban' 2 for 1 offers, Cameron wants to put price controls on alcohol. The mass populace are being conditioned to accept food rationing and price controls, what next? soon we'll be told energy blackouts are good for us and necesary to lower CO2 emissions

Edited by punter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Labour wants to 'ban' 2 for 1 offers, Cameron wants to put price controls on alcohol. The mass populace are being conditioned to accept food rationing and price controls, what next? soon we'll be told energy blackouts are good for us and necesary to lower CO2 emissions

Bring back National Service. And hanging.

Never did me any harm.

Edited by Peter Hun

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

That is one thing you can almost garuantee - Blackouts

coming early 2012 or 2013

Should work wonders for our ailing economy as the private sector quits Britain for nations that had the forward thinking to have a joined up energy policy. Then there will be the petrol shortages just around the same time as demand exceeds supplies and we are out bidded for what scarce oil remains.

HOLA447
HOLA448
I don't see how price controls will help. They will just create shortages and queues in the street for basic items. The Soviet Union knew the effects of price controls intimately.

Yes, you and me and most people who are interested understand this, but many politicians see prices as a problem in themselves rather than a piece of information about a problem.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

In other news, NuLabour only wants people to breath for 12 hours a day. 24 hours of continuous breathing has been deemed excessive.

CO2 reduction would be significant. If people only though a bit more about how much air they are consuming and how much CO2 they are pumping out, the world would be a better place, according to talking head expert. :blink:

HOLA4411
That is one thing you can almost garuantee - Blackouts

coming early 2012 or 2013

Should work wonders for our ailing economy as the private sector quits Britain for nations that had the forward thinking to have a joined up energy policy. Then there will be the petrol shortages just around the same time as demand exceeds supplies and we are out bidded for what scarce oil remains.

How will the private sector quit the UK if there's no electricity or liquid fuels? Horse and cart?

HOLA4412
How will the private sector quit the UK if there's no electricity or liquid fuels? Horse and cart?

How long do you think any type of competative industry will stay when we opt for 2 or 3 day work weeks just so people have enough energy to keep warm and are able to cook an evening meal?

HOLA4413
How long do you think any type of competative industry will stay when we opt for 2 or 3 day work weeks just so people have enough energy to keep warm and are able to cook an evening meal?

I don't know to be honest. I'll be watching, from distant shores, with great interest though.

HOLA4414
Street lights switch off plan on Poole council agenda

8:00am Monday 27th July 2009

comment Comments (21) Have your say »

By Diana Henderson »

An energy saving trial involving dimming or switching off street lights in Poole is to be considered by councillors.

Members of Poole council’s transport advisory group will on Thursday look at options for a six-month trial.

They will debate the dimming or selected turning off of street lighting to reduce the levels, or a part night-time switch off, between midnight and 6am.

Further:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4512...council_agenda/

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
The environmental lobby is pushing for a ban on 2 for 1 (because it increases waste apparently). Bogof to them!

No "apparently" about it ... it often makes sense to take a (possibly unwanted) extra free good on the offchance you might use it.

A simple half-price offer represents a more transparent price signal IMO and would lead to better allocation of resources (which is what markets are supposed to do).

I believe that "buy x, get y free" is already banned in Germany -- the argument being that y is clearly not free, since you can't get it without entering into a linked transaction.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
As a single person I agree with this for perishables. The number of times I buy bogof fish and the free one goes past its sellby date is considerable.

Also in my view they should tax supermarket alcohol sales very heavily the prices are a joke.

And that's the point. They could ban 2 for 1 from perishables. Otherwise, what's the friggin problem?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I agree. I'd much rather a a half-price offer than a BOGOF, and it's financially equivalent to the supermarket as far as I can see. :unsure:

BOGOF is designed to appeal to GREED. You can never go wrong by assuming the public is stupid, venal and greedy. The few who aren't are economically irrelevant.

HOLA4423
Guest happy?
As a single person I agree with this for perishables. The number of times I buy bogof fish and the free one goes past its sellby date is considerable.

Also in my view they should tax supermarket alcohol sales very heavily the prices are a joke.

You could get a cat - cheaper still feed the neighbour's - it'll be your friend and they can pay the vet's bill. Much cheaper than a woman - fewer scratches too.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425