House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Xmas Displays Already In Big London Stores

28 degrees in London. In Bourenmouth area, I got trapped this morning in a traffic jam heading for the beach.

People elsewhere are doing their Xmas shopping, and the Fortnum tills are ringing! (R5 today)

Does this signify anything?

Mind the language....

Guest X-QUORK

Mental health problems are more common than we might think.

28 degrees in London. In Bourenmouth area, I got trapped this morning in a traffic jam heading for the beach.

People elsewhere are doing their Xmas shopping, and the Fortnum tills are ringing! (R5 today)

Mind the language....

I just apologised on another thread for mentioning the C-word in August.

Remarkable that I haven't had any C-word charity catalogues landing on the doormat yet.

Usually by this time I've had at least four urging me to Shop Early.

Please note that I am not complaining. :P

Can't face them until at least the H-word is over, the nights be drawing in, and we've got the fat fluffy winter duvet back on the bed.

Before anyone starts - it really doesn't get earlier every year. Big name dept stores have displays in by end Aug and supermarkets by end Sept. Has been like this for years.

Before anyone starts - it really doesn't get earlier every year. Big name dept stores have displays in by end Aug and supermarkets by end Sept. Has been like this for years.

We'll 'start' anyway.

I hear the lights in Oxford street are being lit on Friday

I don't care. I love christmas.

So do I, only I don't want to be looking at crackers in Asda's in August. Once Bonfire Night's over and the wintry smell's in the air, then I can get in the mood.

Hope you are yours are feeling a bit better, BTW.

So do I, only I don't want to be looking at crackers in Asda's in August. Once Bonfire Night's over and the wintry smell's in the air, then I can get in the mood.

Hope you are yours are feeling a bit better, BTW.

Thanks for the well wishes, we're doing OK, improving as they say. Glad someone else likes crimbo, but I get your point about August, it seems too soon to be ditching the summer, what little of it we get.

I wonder if it will be a good christmas for the retail sector? I know that a lot have lost jobs and had pay reductions. The loans have ended but many still like to splash the cash at christmas and have a play now pay later attitude to it.

I wonder if it will be a good christmas for the retail sector? I know that a lot have lost jobs and had pay reductions. The loans have ended but many still like to splash the cash at christmas and have a play now pay later attitude to it.

They'll be chucking it around like there's no tomorrow...

And they'll be right..

Has anyone else done the 'good gifts' thing?

A couple of years ago I did it - e.g. a cow split between half a dozen adults (wouldn't do it for the kids.) I did chuck in e.g. a bottle of wine, but not altogether sure it went down too well. Only it does seem daft to rack brains looking for something for people who've mostly got what they want, unless you're talking yachts and Ferraris.

Especially since elder daughter is now working in Ethiopia, where poverty is abject, grinding and dire. Last year we didn't do much in the way of immediate-family presents - gave her the money to buy stuff for a couple of local schools.

The Ethiopian (Orthodox) Chr. is later than ours, 6th or 7th Jan, and since she'd come home for Chr. she went back absolutely laden with sales stuff as presents for the staff - inc. a load of M&S crackers going for zilch - staff had them at their Chr. dinner and were tickled pink with the hats and all the little prezzies. :P

We also offloaded several of Mr B's too-small shirts - she can find good homes for anything like that.

Guest X-QUORK
Has anyone else done the 'good gifts' thing?

A couple of years ago I did it - e.g. a cow split between half a dozen adults (wouldn't do it for the kids.) I did chuck in e.g. a bottle of wine, but not altogether sure it went down too well. Only it does seem daft to rack brains looking for something for people who've mostly got what they want, unless you're talking yachts and Ferraris.

The giving and receiving of tat is the worst part of Christmas, it's as if people think any old piece of cr@p will do providing it's gift wrapped. We started making nice little Christmas baskets with £20 of little deli goodies and a cheap, but good bottle of wine. They go down well with couples and show a bit of thought as you can tailor them a bit if you know someone likes something in particular. Personally I'd rather have a selection of nice mustards than Jeremy Clarkson's latest piece of cr@p book.

I think ethical pressies are great, but I'm a bit of a tree hugger - they probably won't be so well received by the more materially driven types.

Mind the language....

Christmas is already sponsoring athletes

Idowu.jpeg

post-5993-1250765339_thumb.jpg

I don't care. I love christmas.

I have to admit it has a certain appeal; being the only day of the year where it is socially acceptable for everyone in the family to start drinking at 9.30 in the morning - including gran!! :lol:

It's been HPC.co.uk tradition since about 2005 to predict that the coming Christmas will be 'one last blow out' by the 'sheeple' followed by economic apocalypse in the new year.

The giving and receiving of tat is the worst part of Christmas, it's as if people think any old piece of cr@p will do providing it's gift wrapped. We started making nice little Christmas baskets with £20 of little deli goodies and a cheap, but good bottle of wine. They go down well with couples and show a bit of thought as you can tailor them a bit if you know someone likes something in particular. Personally I'd rather have a selection of nice mustards than Jeremy Clarkson's latest piece of cr@p book.

I think ethical pressies are great, but I'm a bit of a tree hugger - they probably won't be so well received by the more materially driven types.

I did present when the kids were little, but I do vouchers for all adults. Somehow different than cash, I find when I get cash it seems to disappear into the housekeeping or the kids or the house needs something. When I get vouchers I spend them on me. I hate choosing gifts and I'm cr4p at it.

Mr EG and I don't exchange gifts, he likes to choose his stuff and I like to choose mine so we tend not to bother, although last year we bought a new TV between us. I wanted a new dressing gown really, but why cause a row eh?

the G/F and i save up every year for Xmas, ALL shopping is done and wrapped by October 1st, what ever money left is spent going out with friends/family for xmas drinks/meals.

i try and not buy vouchers, but a couple small cheapish presents for each person, before we go we draw up a list of who to buy for, then categorise them as to how much to spend on them and we dont go over the budget.

for the last 3 years it worked a treat, never had to suffer Xmas shopping madness, i stay calm and happy, and can spend more time down the pub (i normally have ot take 3 weeks off for xmas or i loose my holiday as i dont take much during the year)

the G/F and i save up every year for Xmas, ALL shopping is done and wrapped by October 1st, what ever money left is spent going out with friends/family for xmas drinks/meals.

i try and not buy vouchers, but a couple small cheapish presents for each person, before we go we draw up a list of who to buy for, then categorise them as to how much to spend on them and we dont go over the budget.

for the last 3 years it worked a treat, never had to suffer Xmas shopping madness, i stay calm and happy, and can spend more time down the pub (i normally have ot take 3 weeks off for xmas or i loose my holiday as i dont take much during the year)

That's vey organised, I think I'm doing well if I've got the tree up by Christmas eve. I might try your splendid deadline, save me a lot of hassle. Cheers.