House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Fat, Unfit Nhs Staff Top The Sick League

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle6801240.ece

More than 45,000 NHS workers call in sick each day — one and a half times the rate of absence seen in the private sector.

The first national audit of staff habits has found that high rates of obesity, smoking, absenteeism and poor mental health are having a direct impact on the quality of patient care.

Dr Steve Boorman, a leading occupational health expert, was asked by the Government to assess links between staff habits and NHS productivity. He will present his interim review today. His findings are drawn from six months of staff surveys, workshops, data reviews and responses from trusts and experts.

— More than 45,000 NHS workers are calling in sick every day, one and a half times the rate of absence in the private sector. Reducing the 10.3 million working days lost per year by a third would save the NHS £555 million annually.

— More than one in five staff smoke, the same proportion as in the adult population. About 40,000 NHS workers smoke more than 20 cigarettes a day.

— More than a third of the workforce are in moderate to very poor mental health, with many expressing concern about intimidation from patients and their relatives

— Hospitals with worse staff health are less productive and have higher rates of superbug infection, unnecessary use of agency workers and higher patient mortality rates. More than three-quarters of staff believe that the state of their health affects patient care.

— About 40 per cent undertake exercise less than the Government’s three recommended occasions a week.

Some of these individuals are experts at playing the sick and know how to tick all the correct boxes.

There are problems as some of this sickness is due to the stresses in the job. If people where more pleasant to NHS staff would sickness days drop off?

Trouble is sickness is now viewed as normal in the NHS, this is a huge problem to tackle.

However no doubt the govt can now use this reducing sickness by a third as an efficiency target and book in the £500m as a saving on the books.

Some valid stuff in there, but remember that nhs workers deal with I'll people all the time, the threshold for when they stay at home should be lower and they will be exposed to more germs than your average worker. I think the public sector in general has much higher absenteeism than the private sector.

Some valid stuff in there, but remember that nhs workers deal with I'll people all the time, the threshold for when they stay at home should be lower and they will be exposed to more germs than your average worker. I think the public sector in general has much higher absenteeism than the private sector.

Damn I forgot the obvious one. However I doubt that will stop the govt from making this an efficiency target to save money.

Perhaps NHS staff should wear contamination suits to help prevent sickness?

Some of these individuals are experts at playing the sick and know how to tick all the correct boxes.

There are problems as some of this sickness is due to the stresses in the job. If people where more pleasant to NHS staff would sickness days drop off?

Trouble is sickness is now viewed as normal in the NHS, this is a huge problem to tackle.

However no doubt the govt can now use this reducing sickness by a third as an efficiency target and book in the £500m as a saving on the books.

More crap NHS have to take as result of a business model being applied to a public sector organisation. My wife and her colleages work very hard in this sector and only to be undermind by ars**les who don't know the first thing of what goes on. This government has the same mentality as the the pharoah of the old testiment make bricks without straw. I have to say also there are problems with management, but nobody don't seem to be able to do anything about it. This leads to frustration and problems so peo just react how they can. The NHS is being constanly disssed by people who know nothing about it.

Edited by wheresmyfoxhole

It's a difficult choice : being physically and verbally abused as a front line nhs worker or sitting in an air conditioned office checking the computer screen to see if that lorry load of paper clips has been ordered as a private sector worker.

It's fairly obvious in 99% of cases to see why there's a poor mental health situation with nhs staff.

It's a difficult choice : being physically and verbally abused as a front line nhs worker or sitting in an air conditioned office checking the computer screen to see if that lorry load of paper clips has been ordered as a private sector worker.

It's fairly obvious in 99% of cases to see why there's a poor mental health situation with nhs staff.

Yes. The NHS staff will feel much better when it's closed down for good.

Given this was commissioned by the Government which is increasingly resembling a rabble of swivel-eyed authoritarian creeps, what are the odds that this will be the thin of the wedge - a pretext used to discipline/ sack staff on the grounds of being fat/ smokers/ sick? All on the thin pretext of "patient risk"

And that this will extend first throughout the public sector with sackable fatties in teaching/ police/ civil service etc. And then extended to the private sector through employment legislation.

The more reasons there are for an employer to sack an employee, the easier that employee becomes to sack. And control

Or look at it another way

Why would HMG commission a report looking into the impact of staff lifestyles on patient risk (unless they knew what answer they wanted and had an underlying political objective)

This lot increasingly resemble the Nazis

Likewise you you could also be doing a much tougher private sector job, than ordering paper clips. The warehouse picker picking out the paper clips is probably under pressure to pick 1000s items per day with not much in the way of breaks.

How about private sector employees who have to undertake jobs in all weathers such as roofers?

Edited by BalancedBear

I wonder if it ever occurs to them that you are more likely to catch swine flue if you get coughed over all day. This govenment is just preparing the way for privitisation because I am increasingly begining to beleive it's the Daily Mail that runs this country. Everytime there is an outcry an example is the Gurkas the government do a uturn to please the most mouthy

Likewise you you could also be doing a much tougher private sector job, than ordering paper clips. The warehouse picker picking out the paper clips is probably under pressure to pick 1000s items per day with not much in the way of breaks.

How about private sector employees who have to undertake jobs in all weathers such as roofers?

Or Paramedics or the Police Or the Fire Brigade or have they got umbarellas

The public sector is the refuge of the incompetent.

If this state was an absolute I wouldn't be here today

Edited by wheresmyfoxhole

Or Paramedics or the Police Or the Fire Brigade or have they got umbarellas

No, I was comparing with the so called worker who checked the paper clip order. We can all find jobs which are tough in either sector. I just tried to balance it by saying private sector workers do have to do tough jobs too.

How about private sector workers working on oil rigs, working in sewers or perhaps even fishermen. It is a far cry from checking paper clip orders.

Edited by BalancedBear

The public sector is the refuge of the incompetent.

===============================================

There's probably quite a lot of truth in that if you are speaking about elements of the failed banking system which has recently been brought into public ownership.

But speaking from personal experience of the NHS I totally disagree with you. Incompetent? Hardly.

Can you translate to English please?

Okay Sorry

he was saying that the public sector was a refuge for the incompetant.

This could be correct or incorrect. I think it is incorrect because a lot have people have trusted health proffesionals with their lives including me and the outcome has been positive

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Damn I forgot the obvious one. However I doubt that will stop the govt from making this an efficiency target to save money.

Perhaps NHS staff should wear contamination suits to help prevent sickness?

Step up, one contamination suit supplier, importing Chinese made contamination suits and selling them on to NHS trusts at a 350% margin.

No, I was comparing with the so called worker who checked the paper clip order. We can all find jobs which are tough in either sector. I just tried to balance it by saying private sector workers do have to do tough jobs too.

How about private sector workers working on oil rigs, working in sewers or perhaps even fishermen. It is a far cry from checking paper clip orders.

I agree with what you are saying now but I didn't start making comparisons. I only responded to those who want to do so

I don't buy this 'all NHS staff are wonderful, dedicated, hard-working professionals' that is put forward frequently, especially by politicians.

NHS staff, at all levels, are the same mix of the good, the indifferent and the bad that exist in any large organisation.

If the NHS has a problem it is that the incentive to deal with the bad employees is less than in a commercial organisation.

Excessive absences due to sickness can be dealt with if the employer has the will. Those with a better knowledge of employment law will no doubt correct me if I am wrong, but excessive absences due to sickness (both real and feigned) are a failure to fulfil the terms of the individual's employment contract and are a legitimate reason for dismissal. This should be a last resort though.

I worked for an employer that used to give those with a 100% attendance record a certificate and £25 voucher each year. It was suprisingly effective.

I don't buy this 'all NHS staff are wonderful, dedicated, hard-working professionals' that is put forward frequently, especially by politicians.

I do

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I worked for an employer that used to give those with a 100% attendance record a certificate and £25 voucher each year. It was suprisingly effective.

These days I expect that would be an emailed jpeg of a certificate and a £4 voucher for shares in Northern Rock or £4 to spend in your own company canteen.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I would actually say that should be the other way around, even the most horrible chav usually has some respect for nurses they are perceived as "angels" however untrue that actually is, I find it very very worrying that people making life changing decisions about child protection, diagnosing illness are in poor mental health, they should be off sick and treated and sacked if not back to work within 3 months and replaced with somebody who is capable.